Foam ODST (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions that I would be eternally grateful if you answer them:
1. What 3D printer did you use for your helmet and buck for visor?
2. Where did you find said buck file to print?
3. Where did you find the helmet files to print?
4. What type of plastic did you use for the visor?
5. What material did you print in?

I am a beginner and had started out with the AndrewDFT build templates, I just finished the helmet and boy that is a tad tough. My twin brother and I are looking to work together on this and we would love to go for accuracy, if we could manage to 3D print the helmets, that would be great! I am learning and would love to know how you did what was asked above. Thanks!

-Caleb

Because I'm all about this stuff
  1. Wanhao Duplicator i3 V2.1 and Tevo Tornado
  2. I designed the helmet
  3. See above
  4. 1/32" PETG on a cheapo vac former
  5. eSun PLA+

Because I'm all about this stuff
  1. Wanhao Duplicator i3 V2.1 and Tevo Tornado
  2. I designed the helmet
  3. See above
  4. 1/32" PETG on a cheapo vac former
  5. eSun PLA+

In reference to questions number 2 and 3, are these files available to the public? If not, where might one get started with designing the helmet from scratch with reference? I have solidworks and autocad experience so I'm not meaning "where to begin with modeling".

Also, without looking into the specs and sites about the two mentioned 3D printers in question 1, are they available to the US and are they reliable to deliver high quality prints? Do they fault out often?

Much appreciated that you responded lightning quick!

I have a few questions that I would be eternally grateful if you answer them:
1. What 3D printer did you use for your helmet and buck for visor?
2. Where did you find said buck file to print?
3. Where did you find the helmet files to print?
4. What type of plastic did you use for the visor?
5. What material did you print in?
-Caleb

1. Anet A8. At the time it was one of the cheapest 3D printers available, partially because it comes as a kit. There are tons of files on thingiverse that help make improvements to the 3D printer, mostly just stabilizing pieces that help make the frame more rigid. If i remember right I ordered mine from banggood.com and it came from China so it took a few weeks to arrive. As for reliability, I'm extremely satisfied with my printer. I've had it for 2 years next month with just over 1,200 hours of total print time. Excluding the initial "learning to use a 3D printer" time I don't really get faults anymore just because I've learned how to set things up for the printer.

2. and 3. 3D Printable Halo 3 ODST helmet Wearable Cosplay by jeffrey
I am like 99% sure this is the file I used. The helmet comes in one giant piece but it can easily be split up into smaller parts using a program like 3D Builder. It's a super simple program that lets you do basic things without any knowledge of 3D modelling.

4. I bought a package of 0.030" PETG plastic sheets off of eBay. My vacuum forming setup was pretty janky but very effective. I bought a used toaster oven from Goodwill to heat the plastic. My vacuum former was a wooden box with holes drilled in the top which was connected to a shop vac. I think I purchased 5 sheets because I knew I would make mistakes because I had never done anything like this before, and I was right!

5. I printed in a pretty cheap black PLA from amazon. It was around $20 for a spool. You don't need to print something like this with a high quality PLA because it requires finishing (sanding, filling, priming) so any imperfections in the print don't matter because they will be corrected in the steps after printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back