Frozensnot's Halo 5 Rogue Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozensnot

It's the start of a new year and a new project :)

While trying to figure out what kind of armor I should make next I thought; if my spartan survived through the covenant war, what kind of designation/armor would he be given during the time of Halo 4-5? If I could have any designation, it would be doing something related to reconnaissance. Naturally that would more than likely lead to a spartan wearing the Recon armor. Recon seems popular though so I looked for another specialization. Rogue seemed to fit the bill well enough and it looks pretty cool anyways.

This concept picture sealed the deal for me. I really wanted to make the armor specifically in this picture...but technically since it's just concept, it's not canon. So I'm opting for what the Rogue armor looks like in Halo 5.

halo_4_rogue_armor_by_koryface-d6ddmzx.jpg

Using the Halo Waypoint's spartan customization tool, I was able to get some screenshots of what my spartan may look like. I don't actually own the armor in Halo 5 so I can't save the changes :p

I was originally going to go with Seahawk colors but changed my mind to a more traditional Olive Green. I can't help myself. I just can't get away from a good classic military look. Especially since the color will fit more into the Halo Universe.

Halo 5 Rogue concept.JPGHalo 5 Rogue concept2.JPGHalo 5 Rogue concept3.JPG

There are some changes present. Instead of using the Rogue helmet, I'm instead opting for the Halo Wars Concept Helmet. I just love the way it looks! While there is a 3D printable Mark IV helmet, I really wanted to use this specific helmet. I'm unsure about the rust color but I'm going to incorporate it into the color scheme...just in a less conspicuous way.

Halo wars concept helmet.JPG
Halo wars concept helmet2.JPG

Status on the armor is as follows:

Undersuit: In the Works

Head: 3D Printing
Chest: Created and smoothing out
Shoulders: Created and sealing
Forearms: Created and sealing
Butt Plate: Created and sealing
Thigh: Created and smoothing out
Knee: Created and sealing
Shin: Created and sealing
Boot: Creating and smoothing out

Now that's said and done, let's get down to some actual progress.

I'm still doing some research on the undersuit. With that said, I don't want to make anything that won't fit later on. I still need to convert all of the armor into foam friendly files anyways so that's where I'm starting. All of the armor will be made from foam besides the helmet. The helmet will be 3D printed.

The Halo 5 Rogue armor consists of:

Head: Rogue
Chest: Rogue
Shoulders: Rogue
Forearms: Outer Plated
Everything Else: XG-89 Narrow

Since I'm starting from the bottom and working up to the top, I started on the bottom. As of right now, I've converted all of the Narrow files into foam friendly files. I have to say thank you to the creators for making these files. I'm lucky enough to have all of the files I need to complete this build. Credit goes to monkeyfuj, ZeroPrime, PatrikChieferLorinc029, MJPvt Grif, and finally AZTLAN for creating all of the files I will be using in this build. While technically these files are from Halo 4, the armor change to Halo 5 is so slight that it's not very noticeable.

I'm still in the learning phase when it comes to foam friendliness so any critique would be great.

Foam Foot.jpg Foam Shin.jpg Foam Thigh.jpg Foam Butt.jpg

Next up is the chest. That thing is quite the beast so it may take a while to convert.

Until next time, Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
Higher-definition files exist within the Halo 5 Archive, if you're interested in looking at those for reference. And, good luck with your build!

Just FYI, playing Halo 5 you can click Xbox-button twice, then you'll see partial dash in-game and then you can press either X or Y.
X - to take screenshot
Y - to record 20-30sec short clip :)

It's better than the Waypoint tool.

Also you can go into custom game with Machinima setting ON and then you can separate your camera view from the Spartan and see it from all the angles and possible... or just go simplt to Theater mode and there you can take screens. ^^

Higher-definition files exist within the Halo 5 Archive, if you're interested in looking at those for reference. And, good luck with your build!

That is exactly what I will be doing. I found the obj file for the Rogue armor and I'll be using it to see what changes need to be made to the files. I'm not familiar with blender so using the image file to overlap the object file is a no go for me. Until I can learn how to use Blender, I'll be using the object file in Pepakura for reference.

Thank you!

Just FYI, playing Halo 5 you can click Xbox-button twice, then you'll see partial dash in-game and then you can press either X or Y.
X - to take screenshot
Y - to record 20-30sec short clip :)

It's better than the Waypoint tool.

Also you can go into custom game with Machinima setting ON and then you can separate your camera view from the Spartan and see it from all the angles and possible... or just go simplt to Theater mode and there you can take screens. ^^

I didn't know about the Machinima setting. All of your suggestions would work wonderfully...if only. I actually don't own the Rogue armor in Halo 5. The only way I could get around seeing the Rogue armor was selecting the locked armor in the Waypoint Tool. I guess that's one more thing to do in Halo 5; unlock the Rogue armor ;p

I didn't know about the Machinima setting. All of your suggestions would work wonderfully...if only. I actually don't own the Rogue armor in Halo 5. The only way I could get around seeing the Rogue armor was selecting the locked armor in the Waypoint Tool. I guess that's one more thing to do in Halo 5; unlock the Rogue armor ;p

Ah damn, sorry. :( I thought you had it!
I unfortnately don't have it unlocked either... If I did, I'd take some screens for you. Sadly I have about 50% armors and helmets unlocked, but none of them is Rogue. v_v
I have to say I'm lucky, I have unlocked my Scout set over a month ago.
Wish you luck unlocking the Rogue :D

Can't wait to see more ! Also the foam file for the Halo 5 Hunter armor you made looks awesome ! Great work !

I always wanted to make this helmet but I thought that if would end up to narrow for real people.
How does the sizing look when you scale it to the width of your face out of curiosity.. :unsure

UPDATE TIME

Can't wait to see more ! Also the foam file for the Halo 5 Hunter armor you made looks awesome ! Great work !

Thank you! I actually didn't make that section of armor. I don't have the talent to finish an unfold, let alone create a model from start to finish. I just happened to have found it on the internet and shared it :p

mawrTRON said:
I always wanted to make this helmet but I thought that if would end up to narrow for real people.
How does the sizing look when you scale it to the width of your face out of curiosity.. :unsure

I actually haven't scaled the piece yet. It is quite the odd helmet when it comes to sizing and scaling so unfortunately I can't really answer your question...yet. The visor area does seem to be quite narrow. I also don't know how the helmet will fit once I try to put it on. With the Gen 1 Mark VI, I had a pretty good feel how the helmet fitted because I made like 5 helmets :p I feel like it will be several attempts before I come out with a helmet that fits just right. Regardless, I'm still going to give it a try :)

The chest is finally converted to foam. I'm still working on the process of creating better foam unfolds but for now, I think I'm doing pretty decent work. I guess I won't really know until I actually start assembling it :)

Here's a screenshot from the pep unfold and the foam unfold. Just to compare the difference between the two. Lots of saved paper :p

Rogue chest 2.jpg Rogue chest.jpg

All that is left now is to convert the Outer-Plated arms and the shoulders to foam and I'll have just about everything ready to start the construction. The only things that are holding me back are the undersuit and scaling. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to go about the undersuit. I would love to have one of BMP Prop's kit for the undersuit but I still need to factor in a couple of things.

One, I'm not sure how much detail I want to go into for the undersuit. Like I said before, I would love to have a detailed undersuit but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The undersuit sells the package in a better way but still does not take away from seeing a spartan in armor without an undersuit.

Two, I'll need to have the detailed undersuit problem figured out unless I want to screw up when scaling the armor. The only two pieces I would be safe in making are the shins and forearms. I guess it gives me a decent amount of time to ponder about the undersuit.

Three, I'm still confused as to how all the armor will be harnessed. With my Gen 1 Mark VI, it was easy to conceal suspenders and a parachute belt to harness all of my armor together. The majority of my armor was somehow connected to my belt and it held the costume together. This time around, there's no space diaper. It would look strange to see a belt around the waist of a Gen 2 spartan when there clearly is not one there in game. I've seen some attempts at holding Gen 2 armor together but I'm not thoroughly convinced there's one great way to mount the armor. The only one I have seen thus far that makes sense to me is Spacemeats harnessing system. He even said himself that his system has some flaws so I'm a little cautious. I'll definitely have to do some brainstorming to figure out what my plan of action will be.

Aside from my ramblings, I'm still excited to continue this project. It will really help me learn and grow. I really think this will turn out great :)

In any case, Thanks for stopping by!

Rogue chest 2.jpg

Rogue chest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE TIME

I managed to create the helmet. I've had it built for about a week now but didn't post it. It's a little tight around the sides of my forehead but I've bumped the scale up next time I build it. Overall, I'm satisfied with how the helmet looks. The major problem I may have to solve is how to put it on once it's all hardened. I can put it on easily because it's paper but once hardened, it presents a problem of the opening being a little small. I'm thinking about having the back part of the helmet removable so I can actually stick my head in. I've only heard of helmets where it's in two separate pieces so I'm hoping to find some information on that.

DSCN1688.JPG DSCN1685.JPG DSCN1689.JPG

Right now I'm in the middle of building the right Outerplated forearm. It's about half way assembled and I should get it done by the end of the week.

I started watching the original X-Files so hopefully that doesn't take much of my armor building time.

Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1688.JPG

DSCN1685.JPG

DSCN1689.JPG

UPDATE TIME

Life always seems to throw a curve ball. It's been quite the adventure lately :) Looking back from my previous update, I feel like I haven't done much. One step at a time right? In any case, this is what I have so far.

I have finished assembling a forearm. The construction wasn't too difficult. I just have to fill in some of those gaps and its ready to be plasti-dipped.

DSCN1703.jpg DSCN1704.jpg

I also got something really cool in the mail. It's an undersuit kit from BMP Props. I laid it out to get a good idea where all the pieces go. I need to make some modifications to the base layer before I start sewing on the pieces though. The base layer zips up from the back...so I need to create a custom opening in the front so I don't wet myself :p Taking off all the armor will not be an option just so I can use the restroom. Not sure what I'm going to do about that but I'll figure something out. Maybe I can ask my girlfriend for some advice :)

DSCN1700 (2).jpg

I really feel like the undersuit will really add a great amount of detail and completeness to my finished spartan. Thanks again BMP Props!

Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1700 (2).jpg

You're doing great job! Neat forearms and can't wait for more progress. ^^

Also, do you still need the pictures of the armor or did you acquire the armor/model?

Chiefwannabe

Thank you!

Marawuff

Thank you! The Rogue armor still seems to allude me :) If anyone has full body pictures of the Rogue armor, that would be awesome! As of right now, I still can't seem to find any Hi-res pictures of the Rogue armor from Halo 5.

Chiefwannabe

Thank you!

Marawuff

Thank you! The Rogue armor still seems to allude me :) If anyone has full body pictures of the Rogue armor, that would be awesome! As of right now, I still can't seem to find any Hi-res pictures of the Rogue armor from Halo 5.

I have the full armor set in the game so if you want I can make you screens. :)

I also got something really cool in the mail. It's an undersuit kit from BMP Props. I laid it out to get a good idea where all the pieces go. I need to make some modifications to the base layer before I start sewing on the pieces though. The base layer zips up from the back...so I need to create a custom opening in the front so I don't wet myself :p Taking off all the armor will not be an option just so I can use the restroom. Not sure what I'm going to do about that but I'll figure something out. Maybe I can ask my girlfriend for some advice :)

You could always use a catheter bag...........No one will know but you.....(Cut scene to the next con)...."Hey, why is Frozensnot just standing there.......frozen?" :facepalm super bad joke....had to do it though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back