Full scale Halo 4(ish) sniper build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartographer

Let this be the start of my journey to re-build my sniper rife. note: 3D prints do NOT survive in hot cars, ask me how I know.
Full Costume.jpg

Here is the original in all it's glory, it served me well for ~4 years until the sun ended it's run.
Fortunately for me I still have all of the 3D files. Unfortunately, my original nomenclature left something to be desired and it took some work to actually organize the files again. Fortunately, that's done and I can start printed again. Unfortunately, I bought a new brand of filament so I have to fiddle with settings on my printer to actually get parts to stick to the build plate again.
So My plan this time is to do attempt to document my process and how I created all of the parts that aren't 3D printed in this build so that someone who didn't design this can have a chance at building one for themselves, and I figured this is a good place as any to start because I'm not quite sure where else on this forum to post this, so any advice on that front is appreciated.

Ok, the print queue has cleared out and it's printing time!
IMG_20220730_075010175.jpg
IMG_20220731_081156322.jpg

Here are the two sections the make up the stock. The large hole in the piece on the right is designed to accommodate the end of travel of the PVC pipe/bolt. There's a smaller hole concentric with it that supports the spring guide rod, a 1/4" dowel.

P.s. If you're lamenting the loss of my rifle, it lives on as a 40K Lazgun, just slightly warped and re-glued
original_02c71d60-e8bd-4624-868a-4c7f12c6eb21_IMG_20220703_154811506.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, what type of filament did you use and are you switching to a different type now? I heard PLA tends to melt in the car where ABS and PETG do much better. My whole armorset is done in PLA + so I'm hopeing it survives traveling around.

Sorry for your loss, what type of filament did you use and are you switching to a different type now? I heard PLA tends to melt in the car where ABS and PETG do much better. My whole armorset is done in PLA + so I'm hopeing it survives traveling around.
It was all PLA with PVC pipe for the barrels. I'm planning to stick with PLA because it's what I'm familiar with. My advice for traveling around would be to not let it sit in directly sunlight, but as long as you're also with it, and at a comfortable temperature, you should be fine. Also it only sagged a little, really only enough to prevent the original barrel to fit. So, in short, don't leave it alone in a car in direct sun.

It was all PLA with PVC pipe for the barrels. I'm planning to stick with PLA because it's what I'm familiar with. My advice for traveling around would be to not let it sit in directly sunlight, but as long as you're also with it, and at a comfortable temperature, you should be fine. Also it only sagged a little, really only enough to prevent the original barrel to fit. So, in short, don't leave it alone in a car in direct sun.
Thanks for the advice! I have a test piece sitting in my trunk to see if the temps get too hot in there to melt it. I'm also curious if it's a cooler day or evening time frame
will melt it aswell. I need to get a feel for when it's OK to wear my armor outside or if it's going to be a strictly inside only.

If you don't want to work with PETG or something PLA+ may be worth looking into. Prints similarly to normal PLA but has a higher temperature tolerance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back