"Game Assets" and more troubles for me :c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peteer18

hello to everyone i'm new in the community so this is my first post ;)
lately I've been downloading some armours and i had had troubles with some of them, I use pepakura designer/viewer to open the most of the files but there is some files like the accessories of the ODST armor, also some files like the Buck's and the Romeo's helmet, the folder called "Game Assets" that appears in a lot of files, etc.. that are ".OBJ" , ".DXF" or ".AI" and I cant open these files at least with pepakura so I hope somebody can help me
PD: I'm not a English native speaker so i apologise if I wrote something wrong

Welcome Peteer!
Where are you from?
Most of those files is meant to be opened with 3d programs. It isn't meant for Pepakura, so don't worry. What you're looking for are just .pdo files.

Welcome Peteer!
Where are you from?
Most of those files is meant to be opened with 3d programs. It isn't meant for Pepakura, so don't worry. What you're looking for are just .pdo files.
thanks for answering CommanderPalmer
I'm from Colombia
so ¿that means that if i want the Air Assault chest from Halo 4 for example i cant print it because the only file ".PDO" is the helmet?
Oh well :c , ¿Do you know a 3d program in which i can be able to print the pieces like the pepakura?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes. It seems only the helmet is available for printing and assembling. :(
You'd have to unfold the chest pieces if you'd want to print it... unfolding more advanced and bit time-consuming.

Unfortunately, yes. It seems only the helmet is available for printing and assembling. :(
You'd have to unfold the chest pieces if you'd want to print it... unfolding more advanced and bit time-consuming.
So ¡there is a solution! c:
then i just have to learn how to unfold the pieces...
¿does exist instructions for that? a youtuber or something? : P

Yes, all the pepakura pieces you print are unfolded by other kind people. :)
I can't unfold myself, but I'm calling for the amazing SavedbyGraceG12 who is familiar and I remember SBG once linking me a good tutorial!
Hope he'll respond here soon. :)

Yes, here is the link to the tutorial.:)
Unfold tutorial (Satchmo III)

Also, I might add that there is usually some clean up involved with the model before they're opened up in pepakura designer. A lot of the times modelers use a technique called kit bashing. Kit bashing would involve having a model of the chest armor, which would look like one big solid piece, but the smaller details would be created separate. The smaller details would then be placed on to the bigger chest armor. If you were to look in the inside of the chest armor you would end up seeing the smaller details poking through. Really, that's a problem for Pepakura designer program. Everything needs to be one solid mesh, otherwise there wouldn't be anything to connect the parts of your paper model.

Untitled.jpg

Sorry for the double post. Wouldn't let me edit my previous post. Any who, here is the Air Assault Chest dissected to give you a better idea of what your dealing with when using the raw Obj. files. If a fellow modeler here on the 405th can get it ready for Pepakura, I'll go ahead and Unfold it.(y)

View attachment 243829
Sorry for the double post. Wouldn't let me edit my previous post. Any who, here is the Air Assault Chest dissected to give you a better idea of what your dealing with when using the raw Obj. files. If a fellow modeler here on the 405th can get it ready for Pepakura, I'll go ahead and Unfold it.(y)
Thank you, and also thanks for the tutorial, ¡I will try to learn as much as i can!

Yes, here is the link to the tutorial.:)
Unfold tutorial (Satchmo III)

Also, I might add that there is usually some clean up involved with the model before they're opened up in pepakura designer. A lot of the times modelers use a technique called kit bashing. Kit bashing would involve having a model of the chest armor, which would look like one big solid piece, but the smaller details would be created separate. The smaller details would then be placed on to the bigger chest armor. If you were to look in the inside of the chest armor you would end up seeing the smaller details poking through. Really, that's a problem for Pepakura designer program. Everything needs to be one solid mesh, otherwise there wouldn't be anything to connect the parts of your paper model.

Solid tutorial, thanks for that.

I primarily work in 3D modelling land through Fusion360/SketchUp and always wondered how to take the step towards making a pep model out of designs if I wanted to do them in paper or foam. Much appreciated for the quick primer.

Thank you, and also thanks for the tutorial, ¡I will try to learn as much as i can!

Yes! We can always use more unfolders, and your welcome.

Solid tutorial, thanks for that.

I primarily work in 3D modelling land through Fusion360/SketchUp and always wondered how to take the step towards making a pep model out of designs if I wanted to do them in paper or foam. Much appreciated for the quick primer.

Not a problem, this very tutorial is what got me started. I used Satchmo's model that was found in the video tutorial. Hit the undo unfold button. Started from scratch, and basically followed his every move. Although I would have probably edited the unfold in the 2d view a little more if I were to ever use that model. Let's just say I'm pretty thorough on how I separate the parts, and the placement of the tabs for gluing.

When it comes to 3d modeling, I use Blender. My modeling skills are pretty basic, but I can manage around some things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back