Game Console Decision Help Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tater Mane said:
1. Really? Are you saying that the PS3 has no negative qualities? Or are you just saying that everyone's opinion is wrong?
2. So, if one does not have a console, one cannot compare prices, hardware specs, etc?

1) Did I say either? Also, opinions = / = facts. Which leads me to...

2) You can argue all day about facts on paper...but it results to nothing when a game like God of War 2 on PS2 in comparable in grapics, gameplay, etc... to any Wii game out right now (save for Smash).

Honestly, what do specs mean if you don't yourself know how to take advantage of them? Just numbers on paper that you're told to believe what is better, amirite?

Last edited by a moderator:
read the first post, its my opinion, what i thinks better, and no, ps3 controllers are more expensive than 360 now as they have released the ps3 RUMBLE controller, giving vibrations, the price is an extra £10 over here, approx $20 over there

I have both the Wii and a 360 (Elite). Personally I prefer my 360 for modern games. I have had no problems whatsoever with it (knock on wood). It is a very capable system and yes online does cost. As for the Wii, it is a family oriented system and wasn't designed to be an online powerhouse. My favorite things about the Wii are that I can play Gamecube games and download a lot of the old "classics" like the Mario Bros series and Zelda. I'll stop now before I get on a rant.

Zenzeigan and imMonkeyGOD you're mostly right and I think you've nailed it.

But i don't think Sony will not lower the price of the PS3. Too many idiots with too much money are buying it just because it's a good blu-ray player.
It's a rubbish console, and you have to consider that first when you're buying a console. It's not a console with a bonus of blu-ray, it's a blu-ray player with bonus of a rather rubbish console.

4ng31 said:
No games? MGS4, Resistance, Hot Shots, Heavenly Sword, Rock Band, Ratchet and Clank, Guitar Hero, GTA IV, Gran Turismo, Wangan Midnight, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folklore, Orange Box...yeah, totally no games...
Orange Box on PS3? Have you played it on PC? Much better.
MGS4, fair enough, good game. Same with R&C.
GTA IV, not exclusive. Rock Band, yes, Xbox 360 has that, too.
And let's not forget the PS3 flagship shooter Haze, which was supposed to rival halo 3.

4ng31 said:
Also, should I mention free online play and close to perfect backwards compatibility? M$ should take note..
David Reeves said:
"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3,"
sony tried to screw people (at least in europe) and got badly burned for doing so.

TF_Productions said:
Zenzeigan and imMonkeyGOD you're mostly right and I think you've nailed it.

But i don't think Sony will not lower the price of the PS3. Too many idiots with too much money are buying it just because it's a good blu-ray player.
It's a rubbish console, and you have to consider that first when you're buying a console. It's not a console with a bonus of blu-ray, it's a blu-ray player with bonus of a rather rubbish console.
Orange Box on PS3? Have you played it on PC? Much better.
MGS4, fair enough, good game. Same with R&C.
GTA IV, not exclusive. Rock Band, yes, Xbox 360 has that, too.
And let's not forget the PS3 flagship shooter Haze, which was supposed to rival halo 3.
sony tried to screw people (at least in europe) and got badly burned for doing so.

yeah, i admit, i was expecting alot more from ps3

redragon74 said:
this is how i see it,
Family Orientated - Wii
Tech/ "The Investor"- 360

I agree, I have both the Wii and the 360. I like the wii, but I love my 360. I will never own a ps3, to me it has been talked up too much. As for blu-ray, I will buy a player. Using a console to play movies just wears it out faster.

I have all 3 systems, here's my opinion:

360: Lotsa of games, but it burns out so often my games go to waste. And I don't even play it that much (I mean for 3+ hours at a time). About 2 months of gameplay total, and then it burns out. Thanks Microsoft.

Wii: I LOVE LOVE my Wii! If you're all about power and GFX this isn't the system for you. The games are fun and they take care of the consumers with service and games. Case in Point Wii fit. I've lost 8 pounds and gained 2 lbs of lean muscle. And I'm regaining a lot of my fllexibility. Though I know not everyone cares about this stuff, so it doesn't work for all out "gamers".

PS3: I like this more than my 360. It's quieter, plays regular DVD's back better than the 360, up-rez's to Standard DVD's, and the graphics are better. Sorry kids, proof, the game testers turn off the "RGB Filter" Control in the PS3 settings, when it's on, it's like putting on glasses, and that's on a Normal Def TV. It doesn't burn out either. Now it does lack titles, for now, and the games take longer to make and cost more money, so you won't always get games when a 360 person or Wii person may. And the on-line isn't like the 360's. Which for me, is no big deal, I hate XBL.

You can argue specs and all that jazz, the bottom line is what system will work better for you. If you want a buttload of games, and unreliability, get the 360. If you want fun games that are cheaper, or to improve something about yourself, get A Wii. If you want crazy power, gorgeous DVD playback, get a PS3, though lacking a lot of online and a huge library of games.

Sidenote: I'm not an "idiot with too much money", and you guys need to remember, it's your OPINION, just like what I posted. If you don't like a system, fine, just don't go around calling people names indirectly because you don't get or like something.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Case in Point Wii fit. I've lost 8 pounds and gained 2 lbs of lean muscle. And I'm regaining a lot of my fllexibility. Though I know not everyone cares about this stuff, so it doesn't work for all out "gamers".
Where did you find it? It's been sold out since it came out, and stupid stores won't sell it online. :mad:

I want one... :(

I went to the NIntendo Store on release day :( They get them everyday, it's just as bad as trying to get a Wii a year ago. You gotta be there by 7:30 am to get one XD And the Toys R' Us in Times Square gets em every Wednesday XD They're hard to find! :( :(

My current gen systems are the Xbox 360 Elite and the Wii.

I've never had any problems with my Elite, but have gone through four Premium xboxs. (In b4 Bill Gates laughing his ass off joke). The extra heat-sink really is great. The game selection is great as well. I personally don't mind paying for Xbox LIVE. I get my money's worth. It's sorta like paying to get on the turnpike. You may have to pay a dollar or even a toll as small as fifty cents, but the use that money to keep the road in great shape and improve it. Same goes for LIVE. Also, $450.00 for a 120 gig Elite with the HDMI and high def cables included is a great price.

My Wii, well.... Let's just say I want my $250.00 back. It was fun for a week, but then it just got boring after that.

I only plan on buying a PS3 if I enjoy the MGS series (playing through the first one right now) and when/if Kingdom Hearts III is announced. I was going to buy one for Ace Combat 6, but, well we all know how that turned out.

I have played a PS3 many times however. I don't like the R2 button. It's like a trigger/button. They should have made it either a trigger or a button. The sad thing is the lack of exclusive titles, even though I heard Bioshock is coming to the PS3 this fall. But then it wouldn't be an exclusive so... you know what I mean.

EDIT: I do not mean ithe PS3 doesn't have any excusive titles. I know it does, just not as much as the 360.

I have 16 consoles hooked up to my tv. But no PS3 in the mix and here's why..

I'm looking at these things as "game systems"
I don't care about how well it plays a movie, I have a home theater for that. And I don't need them connecting to my PC, MP3 player, SDcard or pointless (to me) backwards compatibility, I keep all my old consoles.

I don't really care about Blu-Ray movies either. In fact, I didn't even get into regular DVDs. My entire DVD collection consists of:

A Nightmare on elm St. (Box set)
Freddy Vs Jason
The Professional
Ice Age
And quite a few Anime videos.

That's it. It is also a waste for me to buy a high def tv since only the 360 would take advantage of that..
Have you seen what a N64/PS1 game looks like in HD?? Its really, REALLY GROSS! >_<

The PS3 is a very well built machine, is it really more powerful than the 360? I don't think so. I just think its too flashy. I'm looking at MGS4 and while snake's face looks amazing, the rooms where he's in are very simple in the geometry dept. His body is blocky, Ryu's body in NG2 is baby-bottom smooth.
But yes, as far as how the 360 is made, its garbage. Full of cheap and outdated components. Especially when you compare it to the PS3's motherboard.

Will I buy a PS3 someday?
I don't know, they need to improve their library. At least with a few more AWESOME titles.
I bought my original xbox for DOAXBV and I got my 360 for Halo3.
I haven't seen anything for the PS3 that made me say: Wow, now I have to get a PS3!

Why do people bash the PS3 as "omg nut a gud consul lololololololol" without owning one?

Although I do play my 360 and Wii more, since I bought new games for them last week ( =\ ), I think the PS3 is amazing. I bought it back when it was $600, and I still loved it because:

1. It has backward compatibility. COMPLETELY. The only game series that didn't register on the harddrive on mine is the PS2 Burnout series (3 and Revenge). Any PS1 or PS2 game can be played, although a few may not be able to save on the drive.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4. I don't need to explain how much ass that kicks.

3. Bluray player and 1080p. Must I continue?

4. Amazing exclusive game titles. Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, MGS, etc.

I'd come up with more, but I'm tired and lazy. But, you cannot judge a console simply by playing it a few times. You have to own it to actually have a good opinion on it.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
But, you cannot judge a console simply by playing it a few times. You have to own it to actually have a good opinion on it.

Not necessarily, that means you would be the owner of a lot of crap. :D
I don't own things I don't think are good or worth having.

And its not fair to bring in backwards compatibility since anyone buying a PS3 now, isn't getting it.

CPU64 said:
Not necessarily, that means you would be the owner of a lot of crap. :D
I don't own things I don't think are good or worth having.

And its not fair to bring in backwards compatibility since anyone buying a PS3 now, isn't getting it.

I didn't mean you have to buy it to literally make a decision, but it won't be accurate unless you've played all it has to offer.

And what do you mean? I thought all PS3's had backward compatibility?

sony decided to screwed everyone: the ps3 is far to expensive to produce, they lose money...

sooo, before the console was released in europe, they scrap hardware emulation (yes, your ps3 has chips in it just for emulating ps2 and ps1 games) for software emulation, because it's cheaper for them. but, it's not as good as the chips, which are basically a onboard ps2. software emulation is worse than 50%, hardware was at 99%.

i'm sorry, that and lik sang means sony are saying "go f*ck yourselves" to their gamers. lik sang... those were good days.

edit: cpu64, on paper the ps3 is more powerful, but in practise, maybe not as this game developer (!) thinks ;)

TF_Productions said:
sony decided to screwed everyone: the ps3 is far to expensive to produce, they lose money...

sooo, before the console was released in europe, they scrap hardware emulation (yes, your ps3 has chips in it just for emulating ps2 and ps1 games) for software emulation, because it's cheaper for them. but, it's not as good as the chips, which are basically a onboard ps2. software emulation is worse than 50%, hardware was at 99%.

i'm sorry, that and lik sang means sony are saying "go f*ck yourselves" to their gamers. lik sang... those were good days.

edit: cpu64, on paper the ps3 is more powerful, but in practise, maybe not as this game developer (!) thinks ;)

Technical specs mean nothing unless you have played the system more than a fair share of times.

BTW, they didn't screw me over, I know that. It is more expensive to produce, but the extra money is worth it. Bluray and 1080p is AMAZING LOOKING.

Zaso117 said:
1) online costs money to purchase
2) i've had to deal with two RROD fixes
3) My router is not near my 360, and i'm not about to pay over fifty dollars for a crappy Wi-Fi adapter
I've used my Wii alot lately. Not even for games where you swing around your controller untill you fall out of your seat, but other games.
Thats why you wont accpet me FR! :lol:
360 FTW.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Technical specs mean nothing unless you have played the system more than a fair share of times.

BTW, they didn't screw me over, I know that. It is more expensive to produce, but the extra money is worth it. Bluray and 1080p is AMAZING LOOKING.

Yes, it might be more powerful on paper. But you also have to remember who's paper you're reading. Sony LOVES to inflate spec numbers. Remember back when the PS1 was battling the N64?
Sony bragged about 360K polys against Nintendo's 150K. What most people didn't catch was that sony's numbers were raw polys, and nintendo's count was with all effects turned on. (texture, lights..)

We didn't say they screwed YOU over, but they did everyone now, who wants a PS3 with backwards compatibility, which isn't being made anymore due to cost.
[Oh well, they took the image down..]

CPU64 said:
Yes, it might be more powerful on paper. But you also have to remember who's paper you're reading. Sony LOVES to inflate spec numbers. Remember back when the PS1 was battling the N64?
Sony bragged about 360K polys against Nintendo's 150K. What most people didn't catch was that sony's numbers were raw polys, and nintendo's count was with all effects turned on. (texture, lights..)

We didn't say they screwed YOU over, but they did everyone now, who wants a PS3 with backwards compatibility, which isn't being made anymore due to cost.

...Th-th-they took out backwards compatibility?

If they took out BC, then screw Sony. I'd rather have BC than most of their online play. Having a PS2 and 3 instead of just a PS3 is a waste.

I haven't seen the PS3 in person. Only the vids online. I will get one (once more games i want are out). For me, it's a personal decision, not something anyone can help you with (except let you play their console to get an idea). Opinions are like ashhole$, everyone has one. The best thing anyone can do is read about all three online for the specs, decide what type of gameplay they want, see what games are available, ask friends to try their system, and then make an informed decision on what best suits their needs. All three have their pros and cons. It's a personal choice. Hell, I'll take my Atari 2600 over anything on the market! Just for the sheer enjoyment of the gameplay. This thread could go on forever and nothing would be gained from it other than making people mad. Get the console(s) you want and let this die. No good will come from it. Just my 75 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back