Gears of War 3: Marcus Fenix Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see the forum back online. Might as well post an update just in case everything shuts back down again and I'm stuck wondering if anyone ever really cared about making costumes and props. :p

So with school in full swing and my utter fear of my Calculus class, I do bits and parts of this costume when I can. Last Saturday I spent a full 12 hours on it and only got a part of the back armor done. I just can't fathom how long this will take. It seems like you Halo armor folks bust out parts in a matter of days while I am still on just the torso. From my observation, it seems that the Halo armor has more large parts and less super complicated areas. The entire backpack of this build is one big roller coaster of impossibly small parts that humans hands can't manipulate. I find myself cutting out a microscopic triangle to fill a small microscopic hole and I think to myself, "WHY THE F$#@ was this not just part of that larger part above it?" I think that a ton of these small parts could be fused with larger parts, I see no reason for them to be separate. Whatever, no going back now or I won't have anything to complain about.

Now the good stuff. I made the right shoulder pad, which for some reason was different then the left in terms of construction. Not sure why this is. Building parts of the suit in small groups has helped a lot. I built just the shoulder and did not attach it to anything, then I built the neck. Once done, I was able to connect both shoulder pads to the neck, and the last shoulder pad to the front torso. Now I have to find a way to keep the armor hoisted in the air cause the bottom isn't done yet to hold it up.
gettingcloserbaby.jpg

Here is a non-cell phone pic of the rear armor that I spent forever on. It only gets worse from here. More even small parts and some super weirdly shaped snake looking parts too. I guess this is the price of detail. I have great fear I wont finish this in time for Halloween. If I get the torso pepped by the end of September I will be home free.
backprogress.jpg

I decided to take out my sweet camera and photoshop skills and put together this little picture. It shows my current progress on the left and my desired outcome on the right. Not my best photoshop work but it gives me a great visual in terms of proportionality. My shoulder pads are basically spot on in width it seems to what a Marcus Fenix of my height and width would be.
theideacut.jpg

I have one new and very big concern. While the width is fine, the shoulders and neck seem fine, arm openings are fine... the bottom torso opening... not so fine. I think that once I complete the bottom, which is smaller than the middle and top openings, my torso won't actually fit. Thankfully it seems that the part of the armor that won't fit is just a strap that goes all the way around, so once I resin it, I can extend it and do whatever.

Last thing, the middle of the shoulder pads glow. Once I resin the armor I will cut those out and install some Electroluminescent "Tape" as they call it. It will be battery powered and will give a very even glown. Think of the tron outfits. I have done LED work on my Halo suit but never have I used EL Wire or Tape. I have to do 6 cutouts on the back part as well, so hopefully I can manage to get it all glowing.
EL-Tape-EL-Strip-EL-Ribbon-2-5-110CM-GXT-ELT003-.jpg

Thoughts and feedback so far? Tips, tricks, etc? Hate comments and love comments are all welcome.

I did a little bit of work, not too much. I am definitely thinking this won't be done in time for Halloween. If I even just got the chest plate done, I would be happy.

Multi View: This is just a view of the chest plate so far from different angles. In the dark picture you can see right through it to all those folded and glued areas, it's kind of pretty heh.
comboarmorviews.jpg

Right Side View: I have that arm strap there for reference to his armored plate thing he has on his arm. Fit seems pretty good and with added padding I might be able to make it perfect.
rightsideviewd.jpg

Left Side View: The fit seems ok, but if you notice the very bottom back, that portion goes inward a lot on the model and I just don't see it fitting me. Look at the curve in the shoulder pad on this one VS the other side... something seems off here... I don't know which side has the correct curve too it. It is making the entire suit lopsided when I put it on.
leftsideview.jpg

One REALLY Big problem I am having... I HAVE NO GUN!!! I tried to look online for a chainsaw lancer and they all go for an insane amount of money by big stores. I did find a retro lancer for $100, but it's the pink, green, or blue edition and I would have to paint it... which I am not thrilled to do. If anyone has a painted retro or chainsaw lancer that they will part with for cheap, please PM me. I think if I can't get one, I will buy the blue one, that way if I don't have time to paint it, it won't look absolutely horrible. *EDIT* I just bought the blue one for $100 bucks, so if you have a chainsaw lancer or painted retro lancer that you can part with for the same price, I might send this one back.
necaretrolancer.jpg

Next up on my list is the skull cap or doo rag, whichever you call it. I need one of those. Now, I was thinking of just getting a black bandanna and folding it to work. However, I noticed that his doo rag has not only a logo on the front, but some kind of pattern in it. It seems like it has all these black circles, but the pattern is reversed so the gray outline of the circles looks spray painted on or something. Interesting indeed. Does anyone know how I can go about making a doo rag with this pattern on it? It reminds me of those really light and airy basketball shorts that have the super small holes in it. Maybe I will start my search there, all of the pics I see of this doo rag are the same and have this pattern in it.
marcusfenixdoorag.jpg

The dew rag doesn't have a pattern, that's a finely perforated fabric,
Besides that point, nice construction so far, everything looks pretty solid, keep it up!

Looking seriously bad ass man... Where are you getting that luminous tape/where can I learn more about it???

Looking seriously bad ass man... Where are you getting that luminous tape/where can I learn more about it???

You can do a google search for it. You will find EL Tape and EL Wire, both are used for tons of applications. The tron suits in the newest movie used EL Tape. It's thin layers of phosphor on a strip with electrodes attached. When excited by electricity, the phosphor glows a faint but even glow. I should be able to run a few feet of the tape attached to an inverter and battery pack to give the suit lights. I think they take up more energy than LEDs though, so i might need some heavy duty batteries.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I was looking at the back of my backpack and it has a porous material on it similar in looks to the doo rag, though the holes seems a bit too big. I will go to a material shop and see what i can find.

I should be getting the metal blue retro lancer in the mail by the end of this week. I might settle for painting just the bayonet at the end and leaving the rest of it blue. We shall see depending on how much of the suit I finish.

If you're still looking for Bandana material, Mesh comes to mind... Lots of mesh.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html

OH WOW! That is a LOT of mesh haha. I will email them and show them a picture of Marcus and see if they can help me get that look. I wonder if the holes in his bandana look black because his hair is dark or if the bandanna has multiple layers.

Alright, small update time. I have been WAY TOO BUSY with school work to work on my costume. It's sitting on my table becoming flimsy. I find it weird that over time the paper becomes softer, perhaps it's a humidity thing but we don't see much of that in southern California.

Well, I guess you guys are curious what my face looks like, eh? Well, here you go, all of it's not chiseled jaw Marcus Fenix glory. Oh, by the way, I just got my Retro Lancer in the mail today and all I have to say is HOLY $#!% it's huge!!!! It's more than half my height with the bayonet on and about half my height with it off. I am very content, I will paint it if I have time and if not, oh well.
20120927210845988.jpg

I feel like it's as wide as my chest plate as well, I did not expect this and it will look VERY weird for me to carry it. I will definitely make a chainsaw lancer later, maybe for next Halloween, that is proportional to me.
20120927210923679.jpg

I really need to step it up. I have 4 weekends left or so to get this done, that's the back pack, then resin and fiberglass, paint and all of that. Then I need to do the boots, belt, and gloves. OY, damn school and priorities!

Yours is Looking great. "Finish and RESIN!!!
To answer your question on my thread.. Yeah I have been really busy with work and school. I want to finish before Halloween (doubt I will)
I havent had a chance to take pictures but I will hopefully next week (this week is tests at school) of the bondo-ing stage.../sanding. Im kinda nervous about it because I really dont wanna lose detail. I have also ordered the same weapon (with my gamestop points) but true to my character, she is suppose to have the first MK Lancer (chainsaw) cheapest I found though is still like 167-200+(We are weirdly following similar paths..lol ) Reading your thread I see you had the same issue with waist not fitting but all other holes fitting. I think Ill bondo the sides then later cut off or build ontop of with Wide webbing and buckle since the sides are suppose to be just strapping anyway. I also need a webbed/Mesh like material but I have the Bigger Issue that it is on the thighs and hips

Looking fantastic so far, and trust me, you'd be surprised what you can do in-between drying times and resin. When you're suit's hardening, I would make it a priority to paint that bad boy, congrats on your package!

Yours is Looking great. "Finish and RESIN!!!
To answer your question on my thread.. Yeah I have been really busy with work and school. I want to finish before Halloween (doubt I will)
I havent had a chance to take pictures but I will hopefully next week (this week is tests at school) of the bondo-ing stage.../sanding. Im kinda nervous about it because I really dont wanna lose detail. I have also ordered the same weapon (with my gamestop points) but true to my character, she is suppose to have the first MK Lancer (chainsaw) cheapest I found though is still like 167-200+(We are weirdly following similar paths..lol ) Reading your thread I see you had the same issue with waist not fitting but all other holes fitting. I think Ill bondo the sides then later cut off or build ontop of with Wide webbing and buckle since the sides are suppose to be just strapping anyway. I also need a webbed/Mesh like material but I have the Bigger Issue that it is on the thighs and hips
According to my information, the picture you have of Marcus back to back with that girl is not Anya, she is actually a girl named Alex. However, I could be wrong. Anya did not start fighting till Gears 3, and the armor that Marcus is wearing is Gears 2 and back.

I look forward to you getting your weapon then, do you plan to paint it? As for the waist, I don't know if I am going to switch the side straps to foam or just resin it, cut them and then add to their length. I have to finish this damn backpack first. >:[ You could just get normal pants and then cut and stitch webbing onto them.

Looking fantastic so far, and trust me, you'd be surprised what you can do in-between drying times and resin. When you're suit's hardening, I would make it a priority to paint that bad boy, congrats on your package!
Oh yes, between resin and drying I will be doing Calculus homework haha. Actually, between resin and drying I will be working on the boots, belt, and gauntlets. I will do those out of foam due to time constraints. I will paint the blade of the gun silver regardless, and if I have time I will paint the entire thing. I just need to get more core components made and painted above all else.

Update time Bishes.

So, chances of getting the entire suit complete by Halloween? Pretty much Zero. School is kicking my @$$ and I have side computer jobs, friends in town, and 3 tests to study for for next week. I still have not finished pepping the chest, but I am close-ish. Once the chest is pepped, I will have to resin the chest, bondo it, add my electronics and then paint. Because I am so far behind, I invited some friends over to cut out my parts for me, this allowed me to complete the insanity you will see below. I still have to do the belt, boots and gauntlets as well as find pants and a doo rag. All of that I will do out of foam in hopes it saves me time.

Ok, so here we go, the backpack! The guys who made Gears of War have absolutely no information on the armor. I have no idea why it glows the way it does, how it get's power, and what is stored in the back parts here. I will never know. But, I do know that it was an absolute nightmare to build this, see usual complaints; microscopic parts, parts that should really be connected to larger parts in the program, and fold tabs that are mixed in with normal parts making it impossible to know what is what.

These 6 parts look like alien technology, maybe some kind of torture devices? That's how it felt assembling them. The fold tabs would overlap with the actual part so it was hard to tell what was what. I checked in the program for no overlapping parts so I know this is just how it is. These 6 parts make the glowing slits in the armor, reference the first page of my build to see what I am talking about.
20120929150158372.jpg

I survived that onslaught and managed to make this. Gluing the parts to make the ovals things was hard, but gluing the oval things to the rest of the armor was just as hard.
20120929181912977.jpg

See this, the back of it, looks like a battlefield. I prolly missed some tabs as well, hopefully it won't effect resin. I am thankful for the detail and all but I could not make this part perfect if I tried. You see some people who have pep models that look like a robot build them, completely perfect, not warped. I honestly don't think that's possible with this.
201209291819229.jpg

This is about the time I had some friends over. I was so tired of cutting out parts made entirely of chainsaw-like tabs and microscopic parts that I let friends do it. I still did the gluing as I am anal about that. the bottom part of this wasn't bad at all, it's the top part that was insane. That V formation, right below the circle? Yeah, that uses like 4 or 5 tiny strips all glued together to make a kind of indent. Needless to say, it was hell but looks cool. Too bad it's warped, as in, one side is more raised than another. Not sure how I will fix that for resin but I will think of something.
20121007175259177.jpg

I decided to hold this part up to what I had done originally, this helped to restore my moral and encourage me to keep going. The right hand side will connect right up, the left needs a few more parts and I can glue this all together. After that, I just have the bottom of the back pack and part of the side and I am done! Doesn't seem like a lot, but it's still a few days of work.
2012100719145548.jpg

I have contacted some EL Tape suppliers to find the right stuff to make my suit glow. Here is a photoshop image I put together on how I plan to wire it all up. I just hope I can do this with EL Tape, this means I will only have to make two connections to the power pack and not 6. I will make a purchase tonight and test out the glowing panels so I know they will work for me.
20121007175259177invert.jpg

I know that once my suit is hardened, I will need to cut it in half to be able to put it on. This brings up an interesting predicament... where do I cut it? I don't want it to look crappy at the cutting points and it needs to not move around too much. I want all of my lighting and batteries to be in one place so I don't need to connect any wires when I suit up. This means I might need to cut the suit at the front, right where the shoulder straps connect to the chest plate. Not my preferred area as it will look horrible, but I don't seem to have a choice. I will cross the bridge when I get there. Right now, I have to find a way to make the boots out of foam using the boot template I have, but sizing them so they are not gigantically out of proportion to me, which they will be.

look good

my pep look like a battlefield too sometimes but don't worry resin and bondo will finish the job :) and you will get a clean work

Life has gotten in the way the last two weeks so much that I had not an ounce of time to work on my costume. 3 tests in one week to study for, family in town, friends in town, two computers to repair, and a wedding invitation to design. FK!

This means there is no possible way this will be done in time for Halloween. Absolutely zero. Which is a huge bummer and moral killer seeing as I have put so many tears into this thing. I will have to go as Master Chief for the 4th time in a row, my co-workers won't be too happy, they are tired of it.

My only other option is to go as unarmored Marcus, but that would only work if I can make the boots, belt, and gauntlets all out of foam in one weekend... not too sure that's possible. If it is, let me know! Also let me know if you have GOW3 Marcus foam friendly pep files.

I glued that big center back part to the rest of the armor to try and give the armor more stability while I finish pepping it. If you look in the center top part, you can see it's warped hard core. Not sure what to do about that other than lots of wooden sticks glued inside for support. I feel like I have to stretch the body of a car out after an accident, except without the advanced machinery to help.
20121021235301209edited.jpg

A side shot of the attached back from a side point. The armor seems to fit well enough except my torso is to large for the bottom part of the suit, so I won't be able to pep that and try it on before the Resin process. I might have to make it out of foam as it is just a strap holding the armor in place around the back.
20121021234948358edited.jpg

The glowing stuff for my armor arrived, it's perfect. Not as bright as LED's are, but it will look more professional and closer to the real thing I hope. I can't install these till after the Resin and Bondo stages.
20121017234612363.jpg

look good

my pep look like a battlefield too sometimes but don't worry resin and bondo will finish the job :) and you will get a clean work

Thanks for the encouragement, I hope so! My biggest concern is the warping, I would hate to have one side lopsided, it would make wearing it weird.

hello all i could really use some help i have measured my chest and converted the inches to mm but when i print and build the halo reach chest (torso) it comes out too small and when i up it by 10 % it comes out too big any suggestions on how to size it correctly

Is it "far too big" or just "too big without a good undersuit"? Could you post some pictures so we can give better advice?

Paperbuildingjunkie, it's also rather bad form to hijack someone else's thread with a topic of your own. You should make a new one.

DuffMasterFresh, I think your build is awesome! The work you're putting into it really shows. I think even if you just finished the chest piece by Halloween, and supplemented it with other costuming props that would be very cool. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back