Genocide Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackthetoker

OK! So.... i kinda screwed myself. I wanted to do spartan armor for halloween... and its like the 15th! lol. Anyway... i surfed this place for a while.. pulled some ideas here and there... and started. Im too much of a noob to any of this to do that papakura stuff... and work with fiberglass. So im taking the easy approach. CARDBOARD! lol. Its not comming out too bad.. i have a few ideas for how to detail it up.. and get it looking like more then what it actually is. Sooo.. i took some pics with my phone.. and am working day to day to meet this deadline. i got like.... 2 weeks. HA! and i work full time so... wish me luck. :p

[EDIT] Ok... so here is work so far. this is after build day 2. I got shin things... yeah! At least ill be safe from midget vampires..... dont ask. Like i said.. ill add detail later. My idea for a "not so cardboard" look... is once its all finished.. and fitted.. and i can figure out how to take it on an off (velcrow?) i was going to put black paper on it. Then do the edges and seems with masking tape.. paint it black. Im doing a Black and gray color scheme.. cause there is only one master chief... and im not a fan of green.

Another detail idea.. was to add other layers of cardboard over top the others.. for a 3-D look. We will see how it goes.
Bye for today.. i need to pay rent so sleep is a must. :(

Till tomorrow.
Genocide

I know you said you were working on it but get those pics up quick or a mod'll give you a warning and lock this topic! ;)
Cant wait to see what you've done though,

Chazodude

for the amount of time involved in getting this ready for the 31st, it's coming along really good. Keep up the good work, and I cant wait to see the final results

OK. Day 3. I went out after work... so i dont have long today. Im going for arm pieces today... hoping for more.
I was thinking... everyone does helmets first. Im just gonna cheat... you will see later. But for now.. Im working on the armor its self. Ill post pics as they come along.

Pic 1 is what my basic forarm piece. Im adding on to it.
Pic 2 is my failed attemps and the peices i had to put together to get pic 1
Pic 3 Is my extra moded arm. I gave the top a little design and changed the cuff so it looks like the top and cuff are seperate.
Pic 4 is the end of today. Got them both done.. fitted and ready to be detailed.

I ran into some problems.. mostly my inability to measure right lol. But i got it. Ill be able to work a lot more on my weekend. And i was thinking.. maybe i should start trying some of my detail ideas to make it smooth and more creative, to see how it goes and what problems im going to have. just might with these arm pieces.

ok... so work day 4. i call it that cause i totally blew this off the whole weekend. i was hopping to be done by now! or t least with the pieces shaped and fitted ready for detail or paint. But i got busy with life. Gah.. im so behind.

So anyway... heres is where i am at. I did the shell of the thighs and upper arms. i also tried some of my strapping and finishing ideas. In the next pics ill show what im doing

Pic 1
So heres a thigh. i know its not much. But ill do what i can later
[attachment=6863:AA11.jpg]

Pic 2
Duplicated.. i tried straps. I think its the best way to hold these things to my body. Ill figure out if im just taping it... or getting a loop.
[attachment=6864:AA12.jpg]

This is my product for the upper arm. Its all cut and needs to be bent. I half drew a UNSC logo cause ill be putting that on the suit. Among other things.
[attachment=6865:AA13.jpg]

Done with both.
[attachment=6866:AA14.jpg]

Here... i tried my detail idea. i tried hiding the seems with tape. i think once painted it will look clean. I want it to look raised on all the meetings of the pieces. So this was a two bird one stone deal.
[attachment=6867:AA15.jpg]

And this is the same with the knee cap...
[attachment=6868:AA16.jpg]

Alright... since im such a procrastinator... i didnt do anything yesterday. But i think im still good on my deadline.
So today... im doing my helmet. I surfed more.. and printed ideas. Getting a feel of what i want. I kinda just fly by the seat of my pants in all of this... so when i work. its usually trial and error. im hoping to get the whole thing done today.. we will see.

SO OK! HERE WE GO! I just bought this BMX helmet. It had the look and feel to be a potential spartan helm. So i got it. 50 bucks.. but whatever.

[attachment=6881:AA17.jpg] [attachment=6882:AA18.jpg]

So... im my head.. this visor is in the way.. but i still need it.
[attachment=6883:AA19.jpg]

So i cut it :)
[attachment=6884:AA20.jpg]

Added a middle to help center. the cut on the visor wasnt strait.. or i had to eye it.
[attachment=6885:AA21.jpg]

I started fitting the middle. I thought it was the focal point.. and i think it will be easier to work with with that part set. I added wedges underneath to get the raised look i wanted.
[attachment=6886:AA22.jpg] [attachment=6887:AA23.jpg] [attachment=6888:AA24.jpg]

i then hot glued it into place. I hope my head isnt crooked or this is gonna come out bad. :/ lol
[attachment=6889:AA25.jpg]

Next i did the visor. Im going to try something. Since im only using Halo armor as a guideline.. and freelancing sorta... i was going to see how the helm looked it i kept some of its original features. I think the visor will look cooler rather then being flat. Also im lazy and this is cutting corners... but it may work to my benefit. HA! Guess how many times it took me to get that bottom of the visor just right. :p
[attachment=6890:AA26.jpg]

Then i skipped to the back. Its about the biggest piece... so what the heck. i needed to add the side piece that holds the lights to get an exact measurment.
[attachment=6891:AA27.jpg] [attachment=6892:AA28.jpg] [attachment=6893:AA29.jpg]

Thats all for today. i started late.....again... so ill pick up tomorrow.
Later days

Howdy. I didnt skip yesterday... i swear :) My work was just so trial and error... more on the error side with the helmet... but i pulled it out of the flames... and we are rolling back on. Heres the pics.. ill show you whats going on.

Here... im totally fitted for the bottom portion of the helm. It may look the same.. but trust me..
[attachment=6917:AA30.jpg] [attachment=6918:AA31.jpg]

Here, i did the colar... i think it should be called. Its pieces... cause cutting curves perfectly is extremely hard.
Its mainly their for a guide line for the paper im putting over it. (my way of detailing :p )
[attachment=6919:AA32.jpg]

SO CHECK THIS OUT! lol. I took the bottom piece off to make my final cuts. And i read on the back of the cardboard. SPARTANBURG. LMAO. i thought it was a crazy coincidence. whatever...
[attachment=6920:AA34.jpg] [attachment=6921:AA33.jpg]

So... you cant see.. but i made some major changes as i went along. the visor is too narrow.. so i widened it. um... glued a bunch of it in place so its easier to work around it. Ok.. in this pic, i cut the pieces out.. and put in my light panels on the side. i take all these pics with my cell.. so quality is something to be desired.
[attachment=6922:AA35.jpg]

And here we have... the visor. i taked over the details in it... for a more solid design. i was going to keep it.. but it didnt flow with the rest of the helmet.. Black duck tape.. gotta love it.
[attachment=6923:AA36.jpg] [attachment=6924:AA37.jpg]

And lastly... spartan helmets have like a... halo (pun not intended) around them. I just mocked a halo.. ill work with it tomorrow. This is my last work day tonight.. so this weekend ill kill the helmet and hit the chest. This is all for today... more pics soon.

[attachment=6925:AA38.jpg][attachment=6926:AA39.jpg]

hmm i got mixed feelings on the BMX helmet. If i was you i would make a mark 5 helmet of it.

OMG! Im such an A-hole. I put crap off to the last minute.... jesus. I played my whole weekend away... and started the day i gotta go back to work again. lol. You guys dont know the level of screwed i am. This costume was only part of my project. My apartment complex hold contests for decorating your house... and i win all the time :p This year i went with a halo theme.. and i thought this armor would fit perfectly. Well.. im all about the armor.. and havnt started a single thing with the house. And i need to have the house done more then the armor.. for 2 reasons, 1, so i can hold my title. and 2, cause there is a $100 reward for winning.. and i use that to help pay for my supplies. Which is already at about $250 haha. Anyway.. i have sick ideas for the house.. and it all shouldnt be too hard. I have all the ideas planned and basically all the supplies.. i just gotta paint a lot. I have faith in myself :p

Anyway.. back to the project. i did a lot today... and am just going to go to work with like 2 hours of sleep.. i want this helmet done today.. and i think i can do it. I finished one side of the back... and looking at it... its almost like i pepacuraed (spelling?) the back of the helmet. I think all i have to do.. is take it all apart... duplicate the pieces... and then put it all together all nice and neat looking for both sides. then i can do the visor and jaw once everything else is fitted. Im taking a break for the moment.. ill get back after i post what i did so far.

Also... thanks for the comments.. i like to see someone is actually looking at this. lol. Anyway... pic time

So... i took off the mock up i did... and started doing the Halo/rim of the helm. I ended up changing a bit from this pic.. i lowered it so it was flush with the sun visor.
[attachment=6956:AA40.jpg]
Then i extended the brim... lining it up
[attachment=6957:AA41.jpg]
Wasnt good enough.. i so ripped off the back... re-did it.
[attachment=6958:AA42.jpg] [attachment=6959:AA44.jpg]
Once i put the back back on and fitted it... i did the sun visor. I was going to keep waht it looked like.. but it just didnt look right. so i covered it like so...
[attachment=6960:AA45.jpg]
moving to the back a little more... these cuts were hard...
[attachment=6961:AA46.jpg] [attachment=6964:AA47.jpg]
OK... done with the left. Now i think im tearing it apart to duplicate the parts. I think it might come out uneven if i eye it like i did the other side. One part is just a smidge off... it ruins a lot. So.. im hoping i did ok.
[attachment=6962:AA48.jpg]

Ill post more befor i go to sleep. Hopefully it will be the complete thing. Thats what im pushing for.

HEY! CHECK IT OUT! I dont have the time to do a gun... so i got that laser command plasma rifle. Its pretty sick... other then it will just sit in my room till i die. 40 bucks.. not bad. and the way the target says... SLAYER! and GAME OVER! is funny. :p I just want a B-R though.... plasma rifles suck.
[attachment=6963:AA43.jpg]

I like what you're doing with the helmet, but I also have to agree with Rundown. I think a Mark V will look better for what your doing with it. Overall, keep at it! Hope you get it all done in time!

Yeah.. this is the same day post... i think if i go to bed now.. ill get 4 hours sleep :p Well.. i didnt finish... but im super close. i know i can be done with everything exept the visor tomorrow... and ill start the chest and back and hopefully finish that tomorrow as well. i think i may be hoping for too much. lol

Well... like in the post above.. i did the left side today... then stripped it.. and started duplicating and fitting the parts as i went. it went ok... a few problems but i got it. But i need to finish the back again... everything shifted... as i thought it would. i did the sun visor... added the little notch in it.. and its ready for the from to be added.

Thanks for the comments... i checked out the Mark V helm.. and although it does appear to be easier... and better suioted for the BMX helmet i got.. im too far into what i did already to scratch it all and start over.. plus i dont have the time. While im painting and such,.. ill be working on the house. Anyway.. ill keep that in mind. Once this rush is over.. im starting new armor.. going pep this time. Anyway... heres what i finished on top of the other post.

So here.. i tore it all off... added the other top.. and startded duplicating and fitting as i went
[attachment=6965:AA49.jpg]
[attachment=6966:AA50.jpg]
[attachment=6967:AA51.jpg]
[attachment=6968:AA52.jpg]
[attachment=6969:AA53.jpg]
[attachment=6970:AA54.jpg]

Looks pretty good. I'm always impressed with cardboard armor, always original. After halloween I recommend that you try pepakura... I can't see it being much more time consuming than starting from scratch and figuring out how to build. With the innovative way you're making your cardboard, I think you're pepakura would look great. Pep really is easy, just requires some patience, and it gives you a great amount of detail. I'm a noob too, and I have almost completed my helmet, and I have pep'd my chest, and I think it looks pretty good. I would love to see you try pep. But overall, I love what you're doing with the cardboard, can't wait to see the finished product. Hope you get it done by the deadline! (I know you will) :)

Hey I like plasma rifles. You can't touch me when dual wielding those puppies. Where'd you get that one anyways? I can only find the pistol.

dude man, keep at it! love your work with cardboard, it looks so original. im a fellow procrastinator, and im attempting to finish a pep helm by friday to wear to school. this gives me hope! haha keep it up dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back