GuitarMaster's ODST (on hold or never to be finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Bumping this thread back to the main page to overcome the flow of spam from last night)

I have some minor cracking on some pieces too; I've found that if you flex them too much, the paint gets damaged. However, with the sealing method I use (i.e. water and white glue), after several coats the cracking is somewhat minor (case in point : no cracking on my chest core).

Alright, not too much to report today, but enough to post some pics!

Built another chest plate today, sealing it right now.
96caa5bc.jpg

I have declared the helmet smooth enough to commence painting it. I primed it, then decided to dremel away a little excess bondo sitting on the right cheek. I'll need to prime this again, and then painting can begin. I'll go the route of spraying a flash coat of silver and using Vaseline to block some places as I paint it flat black over top the silver. I just ran out of black, so I need to run to the store and stock up a bit on some black. Would it be a bad idea to spray primer over the silver and Vaseline? Because that flat primer is all that I've been using on the other pieces.
c64cad75.jpg

On the chest core, I've connected the main front to the main back using side-release straps. I am an extremely thin individual, but I hope that I won't have to redo this to make it fit nicer on me.
e9d55b2e.jpg

The straps.
40562aee.jpg

That's all for now!

I used a very similar system on my chest core, albeit with only one clip on the exterior (hidden by the side plate). Looking good!

Alright, I finished the chest core today, but I'm not too sure about how it's turned out. I am an extremely thin guy, and this piece just does not fit me at all. I know it's supposed to fit somewhat snug on you, but this is just so bulky, man! I know some friends who would fit into this perfectly...

It looks pretty nice, doesn't it?
e515c08a.jpg

09929de4.jpg

Here you can see just how wide it is.
231a20a5.jpg

Here I am wearing it. It's actually a bit wide on me, too. Excuse my mane if it is obstructing your view. Is that Angus Young in the background?
74cc3969.jpg

Showing how bulky it is.
ce4a9569.jpg

74896d53.jpg

So, yeah. Any suggestions as to how to cut down on the size of the thing would be greatly appreciated. It would suck if I had to do this whole thing all over again.

On a side note, I started work on a low-def recon helmet. I plan on doing a high-def one in the future.
f84f491b.jpg

Just pepped a knee. I'm gonna do these out of foam, but I pepped it quick to test out the size and to have a tangible reference when building the foam ones.

77130b78.jpg

25261d55.jpg

I think it looks good, but give me some feedback. Does it look too big?

Also, the chest plate is primed with minimal cracks. I masked off some areas I want to keep black, I'll spray it red later and then get on to stenciling.
eb8068dc.jpg

I had a similar problem with the chest core, it looked exactly the way it looks on you on my first try. Other than the scale, the foam work is really, REALLY good!

Just by eyeballing it, i'd say you should scale down a good 10 to 15%, though this is a very unprecise and unreliable estimate.

So, you're saying I'm probably gonna have to redo the whole thing?

Well, that's up to YOU really...if you feel like you can bulk up when wearing your undersuit, then it may be unncessary; I, however, did end up scratching it and doing it again.

However, there is something else you could do...but that's kinda risky IMHO (mostly because that idea sprung in my mind a few seconds ago when watching your pictures): if you cut down/trim some foam on the sides (where your straps are), you might be able to close the gap that forms at your back and make it fit somewhat tighter. However, I'm not sure what it would look like in the end; before doing so, make some tests without cutting anything (overlapping the edges and looking at the result in a mirror).

Just throwin' ideas around!

(I realize this may not be the clearest explanation, but forgive me, it's still damn early here ahah)

However, there is something else you could do...but that's kinda risky IMHO (mostly because that idea sprung in my mind a few seconds ago when watching your pictures): if you cut down/trim some foam on the sides (where your straps are), you might be able to close the gap that forms at your back and make it fit somewhat tighter. However, I'm not sure what it would look like in the end; before doing so, make some tests without cutting anything (overlapping the edges and looking at the result in a mirror).

Well, that was my first idea that I'm gonna have to try before redoing the whole thing (it took too long to make darn it!) I'm definitely gonna see what I can do before I start redoing it all, which sadly, might happen. I will not bulk up wearing an undersuit, especially if it's just underamour, that stuff is made to be snug on you.

Also, if you say that you ended up redoing your chest core, why does your build thread say you got it on your first attempt? Just asking.

What should I use for an undersuit? This is killing me because I'd love to have one before I finish all of the armour! What have you guys used for your suits?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all looking very good! Your foam skill and pep skills are solid and very clean.

I agree that an undersuit will not bulk you up enough. ODST's don't have much of an undersuit to start with, most likely something along the lines of military BDUs. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Keep up the good work!

Also, if you say that you ended up redoing your chest core, why does your build thread say you got it on your first attempt? Just asking.

Oh my. Did I really write that? That is super-wrong, I'mma correct that immediately, ahah! My first try was somewhat minimalistic, though: only the edges and basic shape; I stopped after not even 20% because it seemed much too big.

As for undersuit color, I plan on going with a simple black BDU or underarmour. Nothing fancy...although that doesn't mean YOU can't find something fancier ;-)

Alright, it's been a few days since I updated, so here's a few things I got for you!

I did some weathering today, the old Vaseline/sand method. It turned out pretty well, but there's still some more weathering to go. I have to spray the red stripe and other detail lines onto it, and then I'll drybrush the edges and scratch down to the silver in some spots, to make it look more worn. Progress is coming along nicely!
ed62c6a3.jpg

Keeping with the helmet, I've commenced work on the visor, and it's looking rather nice! I've got the sharp bends in, but I need to bend it slightly with the heat gun. I tried this earlier, but there's a small margin of error with plastic this thin. I'll get back to it soon. I also have some VHT Nightshades in the mail, so that's how I'll be tinting it.
d4cd7c05.jpg

Still on the helmet, I've pepped and hardened the pieces to Buck's commpack, an idea I found on carpathiavh99's Buck ODST build. Reference pic below.
b2604c42.jpg

77fabd95.jpg

I sprayed the chest plate red today, and pealed off the tape on the black parts. Next step is stenciling, and after that I can wash it with black to make the red duller, and hopefully less glossy. Then I'll drybeus edges, and it'll be done!
ce1cbd80.jpg

Also, I think I've decided what my undersuit shall be! This here flightsuit can be found on Amazon or Ebay for just under $40, which sounds like a good deal to me, because it'll look good, and not be as expensive as some other stuff out there.
b5b14422.jpg

That's all for now!

Still looking awesome! Also, good choice for the undersuit. I'm eager to see how it'll look like with the plates on it!

Im not sure if you care or not but since you seem to be having alittle trouble with your visor you can always buy a premade vacuum formed one for $30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back