GuitarMaster's ODST (on hold or never to be finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive the double post, but I believe that this is the circuit you're trying to achieve...

1.jpg

You had the lights positioned between the fans, rather than around the fans. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance, and ignore all other paths. So, when you have a solid path and a path with some sort of resistance (the lights) the electricity will always take the solid path. When there are two paths that take the same amount of work, then the electricity will follow both. Now, in the above design, the switches are positioned so that the fans have to be on in order for the lights to be on. If there is a particular night that is a little cooler and you want the lights on, but not the fans, this design would work better...

2.jpg

In this design, the switches are on their own paths and operate independently from each other. So, you can have the fans on, the lights on, or both.

Now, all this is not even taking any necessary resistance into account, but I assume that you're going for basic conceptual design rather than figuring out a detailed circuit design. I hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed that you got offline recently. I really hope you see this before you try to build your circuit.

Oh, I see now! That makes perfect sense! Sorry for the confusion, you explained that perfectly, thank you very much. I didn't really think about if I didn't want the fans off, for some reason I just decided that it would be fine having them both on all the time. I really had to stare at that first circuit you drew to understand the difference between yours and mine, but I think that the second one is a much better idea. But still, I might just put the LEDs and fan(s) on separate circuits altogether.

But that still leaves one question: if one 9v battery can easily power a 12v fan, can it power two 12v fans but have them both be going at the same speed as if there was only one? My first thought was "no, that doesn't make any sense, it'd be halved, right?" Then I presented this question to my father and he said that it'd work fine, the battery would just drain faster. I honestly don't think that makes much sense, but he knows much more about it than I. Is he right?

If you connect the fans to the battery in a parallel circuit, like this...

DSCN1113.jpg

then, yes, the battery will run them both at the same speed with the same amount of energy (9v) going to each. If you left them in series, like you have in your circuit and in the diagrams I drew out, then each fan would only get 4.5v, probably not enough to power them enough to get any kind of significant air flow.

When I put my fans and lights into my helmet, I used two battery packs that hold 4 AAA batteries each. A single AAA battery gives off 1.5 volts, so 8 AAA batteries is 12 volts, so you can see why I went that route.

Just to give you an idea of how complex it can get, this is the diagram I used to wire my helmet...

DSCN1114.jpg

...and this is still a very simple circuit where electronics are concerned.

Huh, all of my eighth grade science class is now coming back to me. Really, thank you for showing this all to me, I definitely have some more planning to do before I start installing these electronics. First I have to decide if I'm going to use either one or two fans.

Tell me, carpathiavh99, how long would those 4 AAA batteries last if I just leave em running and there is one fan on the circuit? What about two? I don't mean to sound inquisitive, but I don't want to have to keep replacing batteries. Come to think of it, I could just use rechargeables.

Tell me, carpathiavh99, how long would those 4 AAA batteries last if I just leave em running and there is one fan on the circuit? What about two? I don't mean to sound inquisitive, but I don't want to have to keep replacing batteries. Come to think of it, I could just use rechargeables.

I have not had the opportunity to test that out yet, so I couldn't say for sure. However, I've never worn my helmet out in public yet, but I've messed with it enough over the past year that it's on its second set of batteries. Rechargeable batteries are probably the way to go.

My only problem with rechargeables is that they don't last nearly as long as regular batteries. Also, I've been told by many members that just a 9v will do me for the 12v fans.

As mentioned earlier, it will. The only reason I wanted to have a 12v source is because the fans I use are a little different than the ones you get at Radio Shack and I wanted them to be powered properly.

The fans will definitely run on 9V batteries. 12V fans are generally able to run on 6-14V to account for fluctuations in input power. However, running 2 12V fans (and 2 LEDs, although those are fairly minor) on a 9V battery will drain it very quickly. Expect to be replacing your battery every 2-3 hours.

Alright, so here's today's progress!

The helmet is now done being painted. The stripe was weathered well by a technique I'm not sure where I first saw, but it involves spraying flat black and then quickly wiping it away. It turned out beautifully, and I'm very pleased with myself.
4d1247a6.jpg

I finished stenciling the chest plate, and it looks beautiful! Now I just need to weather it with the wash technique thing (there has to be a better name for it!) and scratch it with some silver and it'll be done!
0c26932c.jpg

And here's the knees I finished building today. I'd say that they look pretty true to the original, which was obviously what I was going for.
38ede142.jpg

No more progress will be made today because I'm going to a BOSTON concert! Arguably one of the best classic rock bands ever, but that has nothing to do with ODST stuff.

I just realize that you use almost exactly the same multiplayer icon that I use, the only difference is that I use the buzz saw background.

Everything's looking awesome GuitarMaster! I can't wait to see this finished!

It's.... Beautiful! Although, i am now going to have to kill you about that Boston Comment. ;)

Thanks! And what's wrong with Boston? EDIT: Just got back from the concert, there's nothing wrong with Boston ;)

I just realize that you use almost exactly the same multiplayer icon that I use, the only difference is that I use the buzz saw background.

Everything's looking awesome GuitarMaster! I can't wait to see this finished!

Trust me, I'm more eager to finish it than you are!

Seeing your helmet makes me wish I had taken the time to bondo it a little bit more.

And that chest plate....wow. Love your painting skills, light-years beyond mine.

Yes, I'm jealous.

wow this is looking really good! its nice to have another odst in the ranks! if you havent figured out what to do for the rings yet on your chest plate i just bought a piece of plywood and a dowel. i then am going to take a drill bit that cuts circles (sorry cant remember what they are called right now) I then will cut a bit off the dowel the same thickness as the plywood. there you have your chest plate details! also you will have left overs for a barrel for a weapon and some plywood which is good for just about anything!

Alrighty guys! Some really cool stuff I'll be shooting your way tonight!

Chest Plate: DONE! This came out really well, the weathering just looks beautiful in my opinion, but what do you guys think?
630FA633-E9CE-49AE-A495-F82EF04BB491-921-000000241C236921.jpg

Knees: DONE! I must say that I've never seen anyone besides Kirrou think of colouring the knees, which he never created, but did show in his awesome reference photo. I really like the added detail, these came out great.
69A17B00-D068-4C15-AABD-029D3C9C843B-921-0000002421386692.jpg

I've been working on another visor a good bit, hoping that I'll be able to see through this one better now that I know what I'm doing.
CFF1238A-558E-43FE-BE12-D698D561DC37-921-0000002416034022.jpg

Lastly, here's a CQB helmet I'm almost done pepping. I really just felt like pepping something, and I really like the CQB helm. Also, the unfold is just amazing, I just really like it. Also, I thought that this pic would be something really cool to recreate. It actually fits me really well, bu I'll have to finish pepping it before I can make any decisions about it. The ODST Build comes first, though!
DA9729EC-A869-44F7-BFFC-04FB98043039-921-00000024257853E3.jpg

That's all for now, I'll keep you posted.

Haha it does look beautiful! The weathering and color is Awesome. Good job! :)

The weathering looks sexy as hell! This is gonna be one beauuuuutiful ODST!

Haha, thanks guys!

Alright, I have nowhere else to put this, so I'm just gonna put it right here...

I finished pepping that CQB helm, besides the little knobs on the top, and here it is!
CBF4E6DB-A9C3-4DC5-A814-7DE3DB890CE0-788-0000002307F13AA8.jpg

It's a very similar size to my ODST helm, just a tad taller and a lot wider. If I ever want to go farther with it, I'm probably gonna have to pep it again, but smaller.
7261FC6C-EBA2-4146-95B8-4188A57AE752-788-000000230EFCA6EC.jpg

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back