GuitarMaster's ODST (on hold or never to be finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if you care or not but since you seem to be having alittle trouble with your visor you can always buy a premade vacuum formed one for $30

I used the same method he is using, and it does take a few tries before getting it right. Didn't have to use a heatgun, though.

I'm using a heat gun because I want the visor to be curved, like it should be, and my plastic won't curve on its own.

I see. I'm eager to see how that'll turn out! ('cause fitting my visor in my helmet was kind of a pain in the ass, honnestly)

Alright, a bit of an update today, I got some painting done!

For the detail stripe on the helmet, I first used some string to get the boundaries all right.
46fab26c.jpg

Then I put tape right up to the string and made sure there were no gaps. I then removed the string so that I had the mask complete.
429179ac.jpg

a0375409.jpg

Then newspapers. A lot of 'em.
d62152f2.jpg

After applying some Vaseline, I sprayed it all red, and here is the end result. I'm really going to have to bring out the silver because the Vaseline dulls it out a good bit. Next step is to wash the red to make it a bit duller, and used.
5985e3fa.jpg

Also I got some work on the chest plate done. Stenciled on the UNSC decal, and the circle for my emblem. I used a glue stick to make the stencils stick to the piece better, but that ended up leaving behind a good bit of paper. No matter, though, I'll just apply some Goo Gone and scrape it off, it'll be fine.
500d54d5.jpg

dc569bda.jpg

That's all for now!

Very small update, but I finished the visor!

Well, almost. I just need to spray the VHT Nightshades on it. They came in the mail today, which made me pretty happy. It also made me want to finish up the visor. You can tell that without the film on the plastic, it's super clear, which is why it's kinda hard to even see in this picture.
91004905.jpg

I'll spray it on tomorrow
Does anyone have some advice on how to spray this stuff?

EDIT: Here's a little diagram I drew up for the electronics I want to implement into my helmet. The fans are for air circulation and ventilation, and the LEDs are for getting that cool on/off transparency effect that Sean Bradley has dazzled us all with. Yes I just took a picture of the paper, and yes my handwriting looks like it was made by a five-year old with Parkinson's, but it's all I'm gonna give you. I believe that I can just get all of this stuff at Radio shack, right?
c2bca52f.jpg

I hear that a 9v battery will power a 12v fan. If I have two 12v fans on one circuit, would I just need two 9v batteries then? I'm not too experienced with electronic stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've nightshaded taillights before, you spray it just like any spray paint. Smooth, even strokes and thin layers.

Here's a small update for ya.

I finished a knee out of foam, and it turned out pretty darn well! The pepped piece is on the left. Now I'll just go ahead and make a second one.
922e75a2.jpg

Here's some more stenciling I did on the chest. All I have left is the runes, and then I'll need to go in with a paintbrush and clean up the fuzz around the letters, and a little paint that got where it wasn't supposed to.
9f148ed2.jpg

Also, I went ahead and ordered that flight suit I mentioned, so that'll be arriving shortly.

Here's a little diagram I drew up for the electronics I want to implement into my helmet. The fans are for air circulation and ventilation, and the LEDs are for getting that cool on/off transparency effect that Sean Bradley has dazzled us all with. Yes I just took a picture of the paper, and yes my handwriting looks like it was made by a five-year old with Parkinson's, but it's all I'm gonna give you. I believe that I can just get all of this stuff at Radio shack, right?
c2bca52f.jpg

I hear that a 9v battery will power a 12v fan. If I have two 12v fans on one circuit, would I just need two 9v batteries then? I'm not too experienced with electronic stuff.
There is a lot of things wrong with that circuit diagram. Wiring it up like that will result in the LEDs doing nothing, and the fans probably not turning, or turning very slowly and not actually pushing any air.

From the diagram I assume you want to wire 2 LEDs, and 2 fans for your helmet, and you want a switch to turn the fans on, and a seperate switch to turn the LEDs on. Yes?

From the diagram I assume you want to wire 2 LEDs, and 2 fans for your helmet, and you want a switch to turn the fans on, and a seperate switch to turn the LEDs on. Yes?

That was my original idea. I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to do two fans at the vent areas (drill some holes so it'll pull fresh air in) or just put one at the chin area without any holes like Spitfire22V did. I talked this over with my dad, who is an electrical engineer btw, and he said that even if I use one 9v battery, the fans will go at the speed they would if there was just one fan. I don't understand why you say that the LEDs would do nothing, because the idea is to have them on their own switch while still connected to the same circuit.

On the subject of the Nite-Shades, I've found out that you don't actually need THAT many layers : I've put a bit too much of the stuff and as such my visor is pretty dark. Go with one, slow layer, shooting at an angle so you cover the whole visor, then let dry 10 mins, then do another.

I will ALWAYS look somewhat transparent before you put in the helmet because of ambiant light; try to test-fit it inside and look at it from front. The darkness from within the helmet contributes a great deal to the shade of the visor! (that might be the wackyest thing I ever wrote in term of syntax, but hey, I've tried ahah)

You showed that picture to your dad, who is an electrical engineer, and he told you it would work fine?

I recall what he said, in layman's terms, was that the fans would run at normal speed, but the battery would drain much faster. What is it that you find so wrong with the diagram?

I will ALWAYS look somewhat transparent before you put in the helmet because of ambiant light; try to test-fit it inside and look at it from front. The darkness from within the helmet contributes a great deal to the shade of the visor! (that might be the wackyest thing I ever wrote in term of syntax, but hey, I've tried ahah)

I love you so much right now, in a heterosexual way. That brings me to my main post...

BIG NEWS

The visor is A-O-alright. It's not amazing, you can't see out of it clearly, it's kinda dark and fuzzy. I might end up redoing it sometime, but for now, it's a success! After seeing ZMX's last post, I decided to try it out, and it look's perfect from the outside! Not amazing from the inside, but hey, it's my first attempt! This is me with the helmet, just holding the visor in with my hand, no flash.
077c6617.jpg

Same position, but camera facing me with flash ON! You can't see through it at all!
79928150.jpg

This is a pretty rockin' method for building and tinting, but DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION. I'm still a noob, and I got it to function semi-properly, so I am super happy right now!

No, what's wrong with that diagram the way you have it wired is that the LEDs literally will not light up, and each fan would be getting half the voltage your battery is putting out (4.5V each).

No, what's wrong with that diagram the way you have it wired is that the LEDs literally will not light up, and each fan would be getting half the voltage your battery is putting out (4.5V each).

As for the half-wattage on the fans, I'll have to ask my dad to explain that to me, and you for that matter. I'll get back to you on that. And why wouldn't the LEDs light up? I simply can't see why, though I could just put them on their own circuit, I guess.

Think of electrical current like water. Every component acts like a little waterfall.
Try and explain how you could build this like a waterfall:
LEDloop.jpg

You have both the start of the loop, and the end of the loop at the exact same level, so water would not flow, you'd have created a circular puddle, not a waterfall. The electrical circuit will do the same thing, both the start and end of the loop will have the same voltage, if the voltage is the same, there is no current. No current = no light.

Think of electrical current like water. Every component acts like a little waterfall.
Try and explain how you could build this like a waterfall:

I think I understand what you're saying, so let me revise my drawing by drawing arrows, because water only flows one way, and I can tell it where to flow as long as it's all coming from and going to the same place.
9603ddd7.jpg

c92ca6c2.jpg

I hope this all makes sense.

Sorry, GuitarMaster, that will not work. You've created a short in your design that will completely bypass your lights. Trust me, I spent 6 years as an electronics technician in the Navy, this will not work. If you branch the lights on the other side of the battery (mirror your fan design, but put lights instead of fans) then you've got a working circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back