Half Life 2 ~ Gordon Freeman Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
part 2 said:
you said you were going to hinge the lower arms?

also thnaks for the info :D but what is bondo and is it available in the uk?

Oh right, I was so tired yesterday (didn't get any sleep the night before), so I was thinking straight. Yes, I -am- going to hinge the forearm pieces, and most likely all the others as well. I'll keep you updated on how that goes. As far as bondo, it's the brand name for automotive body filler. it's what you put on your car when you get a dent you can't pull out. You spread it over, it hardens and you sand it, then paint over it. Go to an automotive store and ask them for body filler.

M07Marauder said:
Tried to download the file but its no longer there.

Any clues?

I'll check my 4shared and see if something happened to the links.

Nope, they're still good for me.

You -are- trying the links in post #139 right? those are the most current and active ones.

Here's a shortcut to get you right there

Good luck, and post pics when you get started!

Oh, and one last thing...I got Veteran! *does a little dance*

Last edited by a moderator:
(null).exe said:
Oh right, I was so tired yesterday (didn't get any sleep the night before), so I was thinking straight. Yes, I -am- going to hinge the forearm pieces, and most likely all the others as well. I'll keep you updated on how that goes. As far as bondo, it's the brand name for automotive body filler. it's what you put on your car when you get a dent you can't pull out. You spread it over, it hardens and you sand it, then paint over it. Go to an automotive store and ask them for body filler.

I'll check my 4shared and see if something happened to the links.

Nope, they're still good for me.

You -are- trying the links in post #139 right? those are the most current and active ones.

Here's a shortcut to get you right there

Good luck, and post pics when you get started!

Oh, and one last thing...I got Veteran! *does a little dance*

have you made the lower left leg piece yet?

its size (hight) is right but ive only half made it (to see how it will fit ) and it seems that my lowert leg is too mucsular to fit its as if it was made for baby's
2786440380_594d241ccc.jpg

part 2 said:
have you made the lower left leg piece yet?

its size (hight) is right but ive only half made it (to see how it will fit ) and it seems that my lowert leg is too mucsular to fit its as if it was made for babies.

I'm actually building it right now, and i think it'll have to be scaled up. Updates on that when I finish the calf piece.

*EDIT* Here's a shot of the shin on me with the same scaling I posted it with online. The shin isn't done, and it's held together with cellotape right now, but as you can see, it's even a little big on me, which should make it perfect to fit over a boot

RightShinSide.jpg

Also, for body filler go to Halford's if you have one in your area. :p

(null).exe said:
I'm actually building it right now, and i think it'll have to be scaled up. Updates on that when I finish the calf piece.

*EDIT* Here's a shot of the shin on me with the same scaling I posted it with online. The shin isn't done, and it's held together with cellotape right now, but as you can see, it's even a little big on me, which should make it perfect to fit over a boot

RightShinSide.jpg

Also, for body filler go to Halford's if you have one in your area. :p

awesome :D in the pic u posted erlier it looks liek it does go over the "shoes"

could you post the re scaled lower leg bits?

thanks

part 2 said:
awesome :D in the pic u posted erlier it looks liek it does go over the "shoes"

could you post the re scaled lower leg bits?

thanks

I don't think it needs to get redone. once all the pieces are attached, it'll fit perfectly over the boots I got. It just looks like it's too long because it wouldn't stay up where it was supposed to be because it was loose.

Also, if you need it to be larger or smaller, you can rescale it yourself, it's not too hard.

(null).exe said:
I don't think it needs to get redone. once all the pieces are attached, it'll fit perfectly over the boots I got. It just looks like it's too long because it wouldn't stay up where it was supposed to be because it was loose.

Also, if you need it to be larger or smaller, you can rescale it yourself, it's not too hard.

i tried erlier :C it went SD (super deformed) too wide but not short enough reason it might need to be re scaled is becasue im not sure that the holes aer wide enough to allow under armour because its too narrow

part 2 said:
i tried erlier :C it went SD (super deformed) too wide but not short enough reason it might need to be re scaled is becasue im not sure that the holes aer wide enough to allow under armour because its too narrow

Oh! you can totally trim the top and bottom lips to fit your leg, or even leave them off completely. How I made sure they were going to fit was I wore a couple pairs of jeans, then my boots over that, then cellotaped the shin piece around that. it fit well.

ola amigos. I'm new around here, could someone explain how can I acess the links to download it cause I´m having some problems. please???

and sorry if my way of write is a litle odd but I'm from another country and I'm not used with this language yet X)

Reno911 said:
ola amigos. I'm new around here, could someone explain how can I acess the links to download it cause I´m having some problems. please???

and sorry if my way of write is a litle odd but I'm from another country and I'm not used with this language yet X)

Reno911 said:
guys please I need this ASAP, I want this armor like my first project

Ok first off, double posting is bad.

Secondly, the links are in post #139. You have to have Pepakura Viewer 2 or Pepakura Designer 2 to open and use them.

uh! sorry about that X)... because I was having some problems with firefox to visualize the forum I only could visualize the first post the others apears like a menu and all the times wen I try to access post 139 an weird error message apears... but I aready resolve this so...

sorry and thanks :lol

"double posting is bad" I will remember this :)

I discovered this thread while browsing the forum last night and was so excited I got right to work. I've been cutting, scoring, and folding for about 16 hours now, took a couple hours off for sleep. I have the whole left arm done and made the left shin, but it ended up too small for me. I have larger calves than most, it's a curse, makes my Han Solo costume the least comfortable one I own. Anyways, I have to upscale the shins and then I may have to trim some length off of the top and bottom to get it to fit on my leg, I'm not sure yet because I don't have the proper boots or under armor fabric yet. (I had a pair of captain 100's, but just sold them three days ago when I upgraded the above-mentioned Solo costume. If only I had known. I'll probably get an ankle boot for this though. I also think I have to scale down the bicep piece as I have absolutely no muscle on me anymore. Also, that particular piece looks to be very short on Freeman. Win-win.

I have some advice for the under armor. Wear a carbon grey under armour cold gear shirt, tactical gloves, cover some 1-inch-thick foam with dark grey textured fabric to make the abdomen, grey shorts of tough looking fabric and use similar fabric to make a knee pad of sorts with that detailed pattern that can be seen in the valve artwork. It can be held on by a band of elastic at the top under the thigh piece. Then you get the ankle boots and the suit is complete.

Huge thanks to everybody who put their time into this armor, I love Half-Life 2, it's one of my all-time favorite games and Freeman is a costume I've wanted to do ever since I could grow a beard.

how do i hinge things?

i finished the lower left leg piece but like everyone's saying its to small to slip on

so how would i got about hinging it?

I've been wondering the same thing, I've never made a piece that had to be hinged before. Is it literally a hinge, or is that just the term? I just glassed my first forearm and it was just a bit too big, so I've gotta start over on that piece as well. I keep making the shins bigger and bigger and they still won't fit. I can only upsize them one more time and if they still don't fit I may have to scrap the costume altogether because the piece will be too long to fit it onto my leg. Even if I can make them fit, I wonder how out of proportion they're going to look.

So if hinges are the way to go, how do you attach them? I can't imagine putting a bunch of screws through each piece. Also, where do you buy rare earth magnets?

Risu said:
I've been wondering the same thing, I've never made a piece that had to be hinged before. Is it literally a hinge, or is that just the term? I just glassed my first forearm and it was just a bit too big, so I've gotta start over on that piece as well. I keep making the shins bigger and bigger and they still won't fit. I can only upsize them one more time and if they still don't fit I may have to scrap the costume altogether because the piece will be too long to fit it onto my leg. Even if I can make them fit, I wonder how out of proportion they're going to look.

So if hinges are the way to go, how do you attach them? I can't imagine putting a bunch of screws through each piece. Also, where do you buy rare earth magnets?

I'm not using actual hinges, that would be silly. I'm going to use rare-earth magnets, as I posted in my build thread.

To repost here: The armor is already segmented. Just cut each piece apart along the lines shown in the official Valve artwork.

For the thigh,

ThighAttach.jpg

The thigh piece is going to be cut in half along the line that is shown. I'm going to cut a matching line on the back as well, so when I'm done, I'll have 2 halves. Then, when you're fiberglassing, just put a 2 to 4 pound rare-earth magnet in the resin on the inside of the armor at the points shown in fuschia. Once the resin and glass have dried and hardened, the 2 halves will be held together by the magnets.

For the shin,

ShinAttach.jpg

I'm making up a line, since there aren't any high-res shots of the side of the leg. But I'm just matching it with all the other segmentation lines in the other various pieces of armor. The black line will be my cut line, again with a matching line on the other side, then magnets will be inserted on the inner side of the armor in the resin.

Do that for ALL the armor pieces and it should fit together perfectly!

(null).exe said:
I'm not using actual hinges, that would be silly. I'm going to use rare-earth magnets, as I posted in my build thread.

To repost here: The armor is already segmented. Just cut each piece apart along the lines shown in the official Valve artwork.

For the thigh,

ThighAttach.jpg

The thigh piece is going to be cut in half along the line that is shown. I'm going to cut a matching line on the back as well, so when I'm done, I'll have 2 halves. Then, when you're fiberglassing, just put a 2 to 4 pound rare-earth magnet in the resin on the inside of the armor at the points shown in fuschia. Once the resin and glass have dried and hardened, the 2 halves will be held together by the magnets.

For the shin,

ShinAttach.jpg

I'm making up a line, since there aren't any high-res shots of the side of the leg. But I'm just matching it with all the other segmentation lines in the other various pieces of armor. The black line will be my cut line, again with a matching line on the other side, then magnets will be inserted on the inner side of the armor in the resin.

Do that for ALL the armor pieces and it should fit together perfectly!

are you sure that magnets will hold it together? also when do you cut it? while its peped? or after the first coat of resin

also could you link me to the 4pound earth magnets? cant tell what ones are waht

part 2 said:
are you sure that magnets will hold it together? also when do you cut it? while its peped? or after the first coat of resin

also could you link me to the 4pound earth magnets? cant tell what ones are waht

Think about the physics of it.

1. You've got 4 points where the magnets are holding the piece together, 2 on each side.

2. With 4 points of attachment at 3-6 pounds of force per attachment point, that give a total of 12-24 pounds of total force holding the piece together.

3. The each armor piece, even with all the fiberglass, resin, bondo and paint, still isn't going to weigh more than 10-12 pounds, and that's just for the chest piece.

I just googled "rare-earth magnets" and got this website: http://www.kjmagnetics.com

The magnets I'm going to use are either these:

B421L.jpg

or these:

B821L.jpg

rvbfan said:
now all you need is a crowbar

Already got one :p

I just need to sand and repaint it, and then make one I can take to con with me...they won't let me through the door with the 4 pounds of steel i have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back