Halo 3 - Custom High Detail Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
now, here's my experiments with wax:

image_405th_11.jpg

i cut the jaw off the damaged model because it had the most amount of detail in the smallest area.

image_405th_12.jpg

i then got my equipment and materials together. they consist of a bag of cheap wax, a small pot for melting the wax, scissors, tape and chopsticks.

image_405th_14.jpg

i melted the wax and put a thin layer inside followed by a thicker layer when the wax cooled enough to be a little more watery then scrambled eggs

image_405th_15.jpg

when those layers had cooled completely i added another, much thicker layer. i let it cool because i didn't want it to warp with the heat.

image_405th_16.jpg

after another layer i started to cut away the paper. i used a curved blade because it allowed me to cut with a significant amount of the blade without cutting into the wax.

image_405th_17.jpg

image_405th_18.jpg

with they paper removed the shape if the wax is kind of hard to make out because of the translucency of it. this will be easily remedied when i use the jewelers wax because of the pigments in it.

image_405th_19.jpg

its kinda hard to see but i softened the edges and highlighted some of the parts by scraping the blade along the surface.

it was extremely easy to do it this way, especially the carving end of things also the speed and lack of strong smells made it a hell of a lot easier to do too.

i hope this wax idea will help someone who wants to do this but doesn't want to use chemicals.

bdw, before you start telling me that i cant ware this or that it wont be strong enough, I'm doing it this way so as to make a buck. IE a piece i use to make a mold. its basically the lost wax method without the melting-the-wax-out part.

image_405th_2.jpg

here's are pics of my simplified AR model. assembled by bunnyumptious. as you can see, its to big.

i looked at the size of the rifle on the halo wiki and it said the rifle is 88 centimeters from butt to end of barrel, so it should be the right size for a life size master chief, cause yours is 75.9 cm then you'd have to add the barrel.

but i see your point, if the armour has to be scaled then weapons also, but i still think it's the best model to build i've seen yet, and i should have it built by new year will post pics when done

oh i like the wax molds, really good idea to make a complete helmet mold with a nice smooth surface

hey, ive been watching the scene for a long time now and i finally am ready to show what i have gotten done! woo! i have a whole album of parts i have made with pep and i would like to show. I just resined my FS helmet today and my god FS you are a GOD. it is turning out wonderful. I am fiberglassing it tomorrow and will upload more pics when i do. But here is what i have done.(the brushes had a lil bit of wood stain in them so the resin had a very light mahogany tint to it :p )
100_0399.jpg

100_0401.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0398.jpg

Lemme know what you think!
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/dyl...yder09/mjolnir/

raven2751 said:
i looked at the size of the rifle on the halo wiki and it said the rifle is 88 centimeters from butt to end of barrel, so it should be the right size for a life size master chief, cause yours is 75.9 cm then you'd have to add the barrel.

but i see your point, if the armour has to be scaled then weapons also, but i still think it's the best model to build i've seen yet, and i should have it built by new year will post pics when done

oh i like the wax molds, really good idea to make a complete helmet mold with a nice smooth surface
yea, i cant realy see an our sized MC carrying the full sized one without looking a bit redicilious. thanks, im guna be trying it on the hand plates today.

dylan Snyder said:
hey, ive been watching the scene for a long time now and i finally am ready to show what i have gotten done! woo! i have a whole album of parts i have made with pep and i would like to show. I just resined my FS helmet today and my god FS you are a GOD. it is turning out wonderful. I am fiberglassing it tomorrow and will upload more pics when i do. But here is what i have done.(the brushes had a lil bit of wood stain in them so the resin had a very light mahogany tint to it :p )
100_0399.jpg

100_0401.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0398.jpg

Lemme know what you think!
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/dyl...yder09/mjolnir/
my, my, you have been busey havnt you?! its all lookin great. all the high detail stuff right?
would you like me to make a thread for you here? (obvisly i dont mind you displaying your work in this thread :D , just checkin cuz of your 6 post count)

Last edited by a moderator:
well the only "true" high detail stuff i have done is your helmet, and robogenesis's boots and hand plates. Everything else i believe is slyfos because i got bored and i really wanted to make something :D But yeah go ahead and make me a thread if you want. I will update it a lot these coming weeks because i finally bought some resin, fiberglass, and bondo.

At last, I have unfolded FS's torso armor! :lol: (y) Whew, what a beast to unfold! Here's the link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/33442193/638c3...__unfolded.html

A couple of notes:
  1. I have scaled this armor to have an assembled height of 40.3 cm, appropriate for a person 5'8" tall (me :lol: ), according to RG's scaling system.
  2. The file consists of 39 pages, 24 of which are for the armor itself.
  3. A couple of struts turned out to be too long and cannot be cut into smaller pieces so they occupy two pages.
  4. You may have to adjust the font size for the edge ID number. I have set it a 4 at the moment.
  5. There are some details that so incredibly small and detailed (like those things on the shoulders) so cutting and folding them are going to be challenging.
As always, let me know if there's anything wrong with the file so that I can correct it.

EDIT: I made sure that the file is in Letter format and the link above shows the new uploaded file.

Ahh! very nice FS, now i see what you were talking about whe you said you were experimenting with wax, seems like a really good idea if you do the folding just right,
I might have to give it a try, would make making smaller models of mine way easier,
The only thing i see that could be a small pretty easy to get around issue is the flaps,
do they leave a bevel on the wax when you pull it from the paper? I'm sure if it does that's easily fixed.
But looks very nice FS,

-Justin

I just printed this monster out! My printer is broken so I had to print one at a time. It was a terribile time for me

Keegan said:
I just printed this monster out! My printer is broken so I had to print one at a time. It was a terribile time for me
Man that sucks, i've had something like that happen to me, except my printer completely broke, i was mad.
It sucked up a crap load of paper and broke some of the plastic internals.
Anyways, best of luck to you

-tonsofhoopla

Keegan said:
Yeah, thanks, but sad part :( I can't resin in the winter!
I feel your pain man, it's 27 degrees where i'm at and makes it impossible to resin or bondo anything, although bondo doesn't really give off a stench so i do that inside sometimes but i don't recommend it.
But if you are interested you should give my method a try, it's coming out beautifully, but it's only worth trying if you are going to cast it in plastic.
I'm using the oil based clay that you would make a model with and do the Molded armor method, so far i've been able to capture really good detail and smoothness, but if you're just making this one to wear, don't bother.
Anyways, good luck!

-Justin

Ral Partha said:
At last, I have unfolded FS's torso armor! :lol: (y) Whew, what a beast to unfold! Here's the link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/33324306/768e3...__unfolded.html

A couple of notes:
  1. I have scaled this armor to have an assembled height of 40.3 cm, appropriate for a person 5'8" tall (me :lol: ), according to RG's scaling system.
  2. The file consists of 39 pages, 24 of which are for the armor itself.
  3. A couple of struts turned out to be too long and cannot be cut into smaller pieces so they occupy two pages.
  4. You may have to adjust the font size for the edge ID number. I have set it a 4 at the moment.
  5. There are some details that so incredibly small and detailed (like those things on the shoulders) so cutting and folding them are going to be challenging.
As always, let me know if there's anything wrong with the file so that I can correct it.

Wow thanks for the unfold Ral, this looks great :D!! I just have to scale it a bit smaller for me, looks awesome! How did you get your scale?? Math is not my friend XD

Skullcandy Girl said:
How did you get your scale?? Math is not my friend XD
I opened Robogenisis's beta chest piece model using Pepakura Designer. I then clicked on 2DPatternWindow->Scale Up/Down Development by Specifying Value. In the Scale box, I typed in my height in inches and that's how I got the assembled height for the torso. I added an extra couple of millimeters just for the heck of it. :whistle:

EDIT: To scale the unfolded FS's model to your height, open that file and click on 2DPatternWindow->Scale Up/Down Development by Specifying Value. Then type in the assembled height that you obtained from the step above.

thanks ral i tried to unfold it and just need more practise you've saved me alot of time now i can start to build it while i wait on the rest of the stuff for my helmet

raven2751 said:
i tried to unfold it and just need more practise
When unfolding a pdo file, Control+N is your best friend. Unfolding this piece would have been impossible without this uber-powerful tool and I would have finished it sooner a few days earlier had I used then. :mad:

Sweet, thanks Ral. I tried unfolding it myself but I didn't have the patience. I'm gonna build this thing soon as I finish my hand plates.

Thank you! I'm just about done making the FS helmet( jaw gave me a bit of trouble) but it'll look great when its resigned and glassed. My dad has some kinda heater in the garage so hopefully i will finish the helmet today in time to put on a coat of resin tonight. Although this is one monster of a project, I doubt the torso will be nearly as challenging as the helmet with all the little angles and sides. But just to be sure, for the scaling i just need to get the scale from RG's model and put that size into the assembled size right? thanks again FS and thanks for unfolding it Ral!

EDIT: never mind, I think I got the scaling method down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back