Halo 3 - Custom High Detail Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
flying_squirl said:
if you can decipher that you could probably fix my computer.

Sorry. I cannot fix your computer. Try to boot in safe mode and run chkdsk.

Last edited by a moderator:
FS Will this new helmet erease the old one? Or are you keeping the old 1 up? Because I prefer it. Awsome job on it though man!

bevbor said:
Sorry. I cannot fix your computer. Try to boot in safe mode and run chkdsk.
smooth :) (you know what im talkin about). ohyea, this guy appeared, asked what did i do to it and gave my a new(well its older but its new to me) comp and took mine away... to rehab probibly. should be back wednsday apperently. ohwell.

smilie120 said:
FS Will this new helmet erease the old one? Or are you keeping the old 1 up? Because I prefer it. Awsome job on it though man!
hell no! the other one will still be there. at the level this is at atm its guna make that one look like a size tester. ;) ill have to tidy it up a bit but i was more concerned about gettin the shapes sorted first.

soooo... anyone want the latest one?

FS

EDIT: all the older versions are still available bdw, their uploaded and everything i just took down the links to tidy the first post. so if there was anything you liked thats no longer there just lemme know n ill put it back.

;) You've outdone yourself (again) FS. Nice work, though I'm surprised you didn't go ahead and put in that slot in the back and the AI chip. I suppose that's for the final version? Seriously though, it looks great.

Sorry I haven't updated about my progress on the torso, but school started back and I have exams, so it will probably be two or three weeks before I will have anything significant to post.

Garland said:
;) You've outdone yourself (again) FS. Nice work, though I'm surprised you didn't go ahead and put in that slot in the back and the AI chip. I suppose that's for the final version? Seriously though, it looks great.

Sorry I haven't updated about my progress on the torso, but school started back and I have exams, so it will probably be two or three weeks before I will have anything significant to post.
haha, thanks! aww, that sucks. yea ive started back to work and prity much all my time is gone. ohwell

anyhu, im very tired and things arent makin much sence any more so heres what i got done tonight. not much i know but ive been busey reading the hitchhikers guide to the galixy. its funny. oneca again dont bother unfolding this one... unless you realy want to.

dont bother unfolding this one MRK2

any problems gimme a shout

FS

Ral Partha said:
There seems to be a problem with this file. It's not being recognized by Pepakura.
ah.... ok.....

oh, i know what it is; when i renamed it i forgot the .pdo part. im fixin the file in the link atm & you only need to add .pdo to the file name & it should work.

its fixed now... i think. thanks for the heads up.

FS

dont bother unfolding this one MRK2.1

I really like that added grid in the jaw section. This will make the helmet a lot smoother in that area. The same goes for the grid in the top part and of course, the details under the brim. Oh yeah! (y) I hope you won't forget to put back the indentation in the ear section where LEDs are put.

Ral Partha said:
I really like that added grid in the jaw section. This will make the helmet a lot smoother in that area.

Agreed! all this makes me wish I'd looked around and waited before I started Slyfo's helmet. Oh well, I'll probably be doing this one down the road anyway.

And praise jeebus, I just figured out how to rotate the 3d model!

(y) Holy cow!

Part of me (a small part, mind you) is glad I keep messing up the scale on the THREE helmets I've now made.

Just one thing. The opening for the head. I, personally, would like to see it a bit bigger. I made both versions of DF4L's "smooth" helmet, and the second one (at the same scale) fit much better because the opening was bigger. World of difference, really. Check out his smooth helm v2 to see what I'm talking about.

(BTW, I will be making this. Guaranteed. In the meantime, I've got your chest to work on.)

EDIT: I was just wondering... Is there a plan for the detail for the area near the back of the neck? Maybe another floating polygon pattern? (Which, by the way, looks fantastic on the brim. Exactly what I've been looking for.)

NullARC said:
Ya know FS...

If you keep making better versions
of you work I'm NEVER gonna get
one finished!! LOL !! :cry: (y) :cry:
hahaha, ok, this is the last one. i promise, cuz ill know that it'll be totaly acurate n i wont keep spotting bits that annoy the hell out of me.:lol:

Ral Partha said:
I really like that added grid in the jaw section. This will make the helmet a lot smoother in that area. The same goes for the grid in the top part and of course, the details under the brim. Oh yeah! (y) I hope you won't forget to put back the indentation in the ear section where LEDs are put.
kewl. well im hopin to make it realy smooth so it'll save on the sanding, bondo and pain... well... maby not the pain. ohyea, i nearly forgot that!!! ill put in a placeholder for now so ill remeber. oh, would a marker point be helpfull for the placement of the leds?

Skope said:
Agreed! all this makes me wish I'd looked around and waited before I started Slyfo's helmet. Oh well, I'll probably be doing this one down the road anyway.

And praise jeebus, I just figured out how to rotate the 3d model!
kewl. heh, new to pep eh? j/k

raven2751 said:
it's lookin great so far, can't wait till it's finished.

fs you are a 3d modeling god (y)
me ether! thanks but i stick by my conviction of having too much time on my hands. hahaha

hmm... acuialy i dont have any time on my hands, i was doing this instead of work-both work work and collage work. :/

Nicktendo said:
(y) Holy cow!

Part of me (a small part, mind you) is glad I keep messing up the scale on the THREE helmets I've now made.

Just one thing. The opening for the head. I, personally, would like to see it a bit bigger. I made both versions of DF4L's "smooth" helmet, and the second one (at the same scale) fit much better because the opening was bigger. World of difference, really. Check out his smooth helm v2 to see what I'm talking about.

(BTW, I will be making this. Guaranteed. In the meantime, I've got your chest to work on.)

EDIT: I was just wondering... Is there a plan for the detail for the area near the back of the neck? Maybe another floating polygon pattern? (Which, by the way, looks fantastic on the brim. Exactly what I've been looking for.)
oh dont worry, i know his one. yea the back bit where its very closed in is just kinda a place holder dealy till i get better refrence for the back/bottom of the helmet. (anyone got refrence for that bdw?) ewll, if youve got anything assembled on the chest yet... can i haz pics? oh, yea, all the detail that i dont put in/take back out will be replaced by floating pattern peices to make it easier to add them yourself. glad you like the brim detail. :D

----------------

ok well the 'a' beta model is up and i want you*insert uncle sam* to point out anything ive missed or gotten wrong. even if its painfully obvious, ive been stairing at this model for.. em... (how long?)... er, well a while now and im loosing my ability to distance myself from it. i know i said i'de be putting in the paterens but im not sure ill get em all so point em out too. oh and if you think you have a neet idea for the model lemme know, i want to make this a final, fully functional and polished product that anyone with time and patience could build.

ok so i need from you:

the mistakes pointed out
the missed details pointed out
the missed patterens pointed out

oh yea and i realy need refrence for the bottom the helmet. does anyone have a still of it from the stary night vidjo perchence? or even one of those funky new toys models? they look like they have alot of detail.

i know its in the game bit its normal maps and im sick of interpiting those damn things. (''is that just a blurred pixel or a specific bumpy bit?'')

im glad you like it and hopefully it wont disapoint

any problems gimme a shout

FS

EDIT: oh and here it is again if you cant find it: dont bother unfolding this one MRK2.1

give me a few minutes and i'll upload some pics of the under side of the helmet for you.
edit: well i just went to make screenshots and you dont get a good view of the helmet actually. its all in a really dark shadow and you cant make out any detail, sorry
edit2: wait, do you mean the part when he is looking up towards teh plasma blasts coming towards him or when he is just putting on his helmet?

I hate those damn in-game shots too. It's too hard to tell what's what.

Now, since you said to tell you everything that is weird, here's everything that I would personally improve on. I've highlighted all the mentioned pieces in pink and/or red.

NUMBER 1
FlippedFace.gif

Fix the little flipped face. It's a minor problem, and you can fix it in about 3 seconds, but flipped faces and open edges but the crap out of me.

NUMBER 2
BottomRemove.gif

I'd remove the faces on the bottom of the helmet. On my first helmet I just cut out that much on my own, but I think it should be taken out so it will fit better.

NUMBER 3
LightsEdit.gif

Make the side light piece nice and flat. Then make the indent you had on your previous helmet. I think you already knew this, but you said everything, even the painfully obvious.

NUMBER 4
VentsEdit.gif

Make the little highlighted vent part smooth. No one will see this in the final product, and there's no sense in making people fold more than they are going to have to already :D I had started on a helmet a while ago, and that was one of the things I did.

NUMBER 5
VisorDetailRegroup.gif

I love that you decided to use the floating face idea. Make them as smooth as possible. I would regroup these faces into things like "Under Visor Detail" and such, mainly because it make it more organized, but also in case someone wants to just print that detail or something.

NUMBER 6
SideDetail.gif

Make this part flat, and add the floating faces for the detail here.

I can't see anything else ATM, but keep making betas so everyone can help you :D.

Wasn't until Robo's post that I realised what a "floating face" is. Makes optional details pretty easy.

oh and if you think you have a neat idea for the model lemme know, i want to make this a final, fully functional and polished product that anyone with time and patience could build.

I was half-joking the first time, but my suggestion is for the AI chip and the slot in the back it goes in. Would it be possible to do the slot separate from the helmet, so if someone wanted it they could just cut a hole in the helmet and glue it in? Just the slot, mind you, I could do the chip easily enough myself, but making a slot freehand that fits would be really hard.

Has anyone else considered doing the AI chip? Maybe that's overboard, but it's the only detail that hasn't been done or suggested already.

No pressure, just an idea. The helmet looks great; I'm thinking about redoing mine because this one is so sweet.

I don't think that the chip idea would be very good to add into the actual pep file. If someone decides to make it do that (I will), then they should add the detail later, by themselves. What if they wanted to use a real CF card and use a lightly stripped down card-reader to put the chip into. That could work pretty well, plus you could have a working card reader in your head :D.

The floating face idea has been discussed before. I can't remember came up with it, who's post it was in, or if it was a PM. It seemed like a good idea, so I'm glad he decided to use it. :D

dylan Snyder said:
give me a few minutes and i'll upload some pics of the under side of the helmet for you.
edit: well i just went to make screenshots and you dont get a good view of the helmet actually. its all in a really dark shadow and you cant make out any detail, sorry
edit2: wait, do you mean the part when he is looking up towards teh plasma blasts coming towards him or when he is just putting on his helmet?
yea, tell me about it! hmm, i though in the vidjo when his helmets off on the ground you see it from underneith. maby not.

Robogenisis said:
I hate those damn in-game shots too. It's too hard to tell what's what.

Now, since you said to tell you everything that is weird, here's everything that I would personally improve on. I've highlighted all the mentioned pieces in pink and/or red.

***EDITED FOR SPACE***​

I can't see anything else ATM, but keep making betas so everyone can help you :D.
thank you!!!! that was perfect!!!!! :D

Garland said:
Wasn't until Robo's post that I realised what a "floating face" is. Makes optional details pretty easy.
I was half-joking the first time, but my suggestion is for the AI chip and the slot in the back it goes in. Would it be possible to do the slot separate from the helmet, so if someone wanted it they could just cut a hole in the helmet and glue it in? Just the slot, mind you, I could do the chip easily enough myself, but making a slot freehand that fits would be really hard.

Has anyone else considered doing the AI chip? Maybe that's overboard, but it's the only detail that hasn't been done or suggested already.

No pressure, just an idea. The helmet looks great; I'm thinking about redoing mine because this one is so sweet.
Robogenisis said:
I don't think that the chip idea would be very good to add into the actual pep file. If someone decides to make it do that (I will), then they should add the detail later, by themselves. What if they wanted to use a real CF card and use a lightly stripped down card-reader to put the chip into. That could work pretty well, plus you could have a working card reader in your head :D.

The floating face idea has been discussed before. I can't remember came up with it, who's post it was in, or if it was a PM. It seemed like a good idea, so I'm glad he decided to use it. :D
i think that kinda sorted itself out. :D ill make a lil box deay as a seperat file that you can glue in if you like but i think it would just be easier to cut the hole and put a box in there yourself. if you like i could make a model of the chip itself (althoe i think robo just volentered:lol: ).

----
***more to come***

Apart from those issues raised by Robo it looks great FS :D

You have to decide to do this the day after I finish the top of my helmet :rolleyes

Looks like we're gonna have to have a helmet 2.0 ;)

Sinjinsmiley said:
Apart from those issues raised by Robo it looks great FS :D

You have to decide to do this the day after I finish the top of my helmet :rolleyes

Looks like we're gonna have to have a helmet 2.0 ;)
kewl, thanks!!! heh, yea, i was waitin till you finished that part. HOW DYA LIKE THEM APPLES?!?!?! :lol: j/k funky!!

-------------
now, onto buisness; i gots some questions that i need a second opinion on.

i was lookin at the normal map to see if i could make out the details. i think i can but i just want to double check.

ok, i got the normals and zoomed in here:

illistration_01.jpg

i then inverted the colours because it looked upside down.

illistration_02.jpg

ok, ill highlight the bits im talkin about as i go.

---

heres the side of the helmet and i was wondering:

illistration_03.jpg

1. should i edit my model to match this little... kinda... bump dealy thats goin on or will i leave it as it is?

2. this little dent bit i have but i dont have the lines leading to it ridged, will i put the ridge in or will i just put that line into the mesh like i did on the last 'finished' version? (oh and yea, ill fix its position in the mesh, dont worry).

--------

here ive highlighted what im prity sure is the pattern for the back part that ive highlighted.

illistration_04.jpg

yes? no? if not, where does it go?

--------

now, this one is kinda finiky. ok ive highlighted a bit, ive copied it and rotated it 108 degrees and inverted it again (cuz

it started lookin weird again). continues next shot....

illistration_05.jpg

--------

ok, i think these parts match up with this part.

illistration_06.jpg

1. looks alot like these little denty thingys

2. looks like the chip slot yolkahmahjig (yolk-ah-mah-jig)

3. and if 1 and 2 are correct then 3 looks like the part ive highlighted here. but... it looks a hell of alot like fabric padding in the map doesnt it? which doesnt make much sence concidering the next part is back to metal.

i checked it agenst the halo 2 maps and its kinda the same in so far as its broken into sections too but it doesnt look so... soft.

also, where on earth is the normals for the kneck and the bottom of the helmet?!

EDIT: hey look, 500 posts in this thread! whos guna be 501th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back