HALO 3 Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan137 said:
Well, not necessarily:

above-beyond-marines.jpg

These soldiers are wearing Desert BDUs and are wearing Forest Vests.

Well.. wasn't aware that the standard practice of the Military was to be seen... Not sure this would happen in combat zones... usually you want to blend in, thats what the camo is for.

But you made your point... not everything is the same...

But back to my point.... armor should blend it as well as the camo... don't want to be seen now do you. But we try to stay as close to game accurate as possible too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spase said:
Well.. wasn't aware that the standard practice of the Military was to be seen... Not sure this would happen in combat zones... usually you want to blend in, thats what the camo is for.

But you made your point... not everything is the same...

But back to my point.... armor should blend it as well as the camo... don't want to be seen now do you. But we try to stay as close to game accurate as possible too.

If I may Spase, no it is not common practice to be seen, but my dad served in Fallujah Iraq in 04. He said that usually they wore their flak jackets (not called that anymore) with the green pattern, cuz there is an unusually low amount of DIGITAL desert camo jacket covers. All a flak jacket is, is a plate with a heavy kevlar/cloth vest, you'll not see many desert color pattern vests, and especially not many digital. Army has their "chocolate chip" vest, but wearing the "blotchy" old fashioned camo with a digital is almost as bad as wearing a different pattern completely. Besides, Iraq isnt like Afghanistan, where there are mountains and trees. Iraq is flat, and that leaves 2 environments to fight in. Urban, and FLAT. Because almost all of the fighters in Iraq are militia, they don't go all out fighting in the flat desert, like in desert storm, they stick to urban warfare, if they choose to fight at all. Therefore, fighting in urban terrain, they can probably see you, whether you have full or partial desert cammy's on. So really, its not a huge problem. Besides, its not like Iraq is the insane hot spot it used to be, there have been MARATHONS in running shorts, tee shirts and sneakers, through RAMADI, the previously most DANGEROUS place in all of Iraq! Fallujah is in a similar way these days, the problem isn't as bad, there aren't as many fanatical or foreign fighters egging the Iraqi's on, and the Marines went in! HOORAH!

-Chupa, AKA Sarge

P.S. oh yeah, and don't forget, its a game. therefore making perfectly accurate armor and camo was not their only intent, futuristic has to be in there as well. So therefore trying to make it game accurate AND Military accurate is probably gonna contradict itself at some point, hope I was helpful.

With Military's nowadays Camo is there to differentiate between different country's...

In my experience Concealment only really happens when your fully Cammed up and maybe in a ghuillie lying/standing perfectly still...as soon as you move bam someone sees you... In theater now days soldiers dont tend to worry too much about what camo their armor is as long as it aids in saving their life..As seen In country and in the desert, Although having some woodland camo armor will help as not all of Iraq and A-stan are plain desert...

Alot of UK Royal Marines use Woodland shirts and desert trousers as it mixes well with the surrounding vegetation..

A good thing to go by is Whatever works...Its what ive gone by for years.

Back to the HALO time line...

Looking deep into it Im guessing we see alot of camo differences because thats what was closest/had on, when the invasion started...a case of Grab what ever's closest and get that amour on and mags in rifles.

Helljumpers wear black...Even at night its a useless colour...

With the marines and why they could be seen in Urban alot...Maybe they are surviving elements from say the 405th that where fighting in new Mombasa...Fits the Concrete and public garden/park scenery a bit better?...

EDIT...I see the chap above me typed something before i finished!

Whoa! I'm not trying to shoot Spase down! I was just pointing out that uniforms don't always have an identical color scheme.

But, as far as I know, there are only a handful of actual styles of camoflauge. ODST urban, Halo 1 Marine grey, Halo 2+3 Marine green. I guess that it would depend on the game your refering to.

Hmm I do sound a bit harsh reading back what i said too...sorry Spase old chap want meant to be a dig at all...

Spartan 051 said:
You wont be a gunny for awhile master sargent some were around 500 i think
Looks like it went back to the old ranking system. I was listed as gunnery sergeant, at least for a while. :p

Military units will often continue to use old stocks of equipment until it wears out. Then the old stuff is replaced with the newer, better stuff. In the case of the DCU's and woodland body armor, the unit probably hadn't received their desert camouflage body armor yet. The military supply chain is not the quickest thing in the world. A friend of mine who served in the first Gulf War said his unit didn't get desert camouflage netting until the day after the ground war ended. Their <acronym title='Tactical Operations Center'>TOC</acronym> was easy to find. Look for the big green bush in the middle of the desert with a bunch of green hueys around it. Go fig. Oh, and I've figured out what my first project will be. I've found a source for olive drab utility covers and I'm going to try making a heat transfer UNSC logo for the front. I'll start purchasing materials after I get paid on Friday. Until then, could someone get a high-res pic of a Marine NCO's cover? I'm trying to make out the details of the insignia on the front and a high-res pic would definitely help. Thanks.

-Semper Fi

ShArK said:
Hmm I do sound a bit harsh reading back what i said too...sorry Spase old chap want meant to be a dig at all...

Nahhh... no sweat. Good info

ShArK said:
High res UNSCDF logo?

Hmmm. I guess I should have elaborated more. The request was a bit vague. Chalk that up to a long day at work. I was looking for an in-game pic to see what all is included in the insignia. In some of the reference images I have seen, it looks to be a different insignia from the standard UNSC logo. I just want to make sure. What do you think, go for the gold insignia, or do a black UNSC logo like the USMC does on their utility covers with the EGA (eagle, globe, & anchor, the USMC logo)?

ShArK said:
Ahh got ya...

How bout Printed for Enlisted and Gold for senior NCO?

I like it! I think it would also be worth including officers and warrant officers in the gold insignia category. Now to muster my feeble image manipulation skills to make suitable graphics for printing on the transfer paper.

No self respecting NCO would where shiny bits in battle dress. Leave the the gold and silver to the officers.

SGT V said:
No self respecting NCO would where shiny bits in battle dress. Leave the the gold and silver to the officers.
You are correct. No NCO would wear shiny stuff in combat. However, the sergeants in Halo 3 are wearing utility covers with a gold emblem on the front. In Bungie's defense, the emblem is probably not shiny metallic gold, though.
Here is a pic of Gunnery Sergeant Reynolds from the game:
GySgt_Reynolds.jpg

spartan 26 said:
its probally a pin or just a swone on symbol

It could be, the pictures I have access to make it hard to determine. I'm going to try an iron-on emblem because it is cheap, easy, and it's the way the USMC puts the emblems on their covers (I may be wrong about the USMC thing. If a Marine could enlighten me, I'd be much obliged.) I'll try a black UNSCDF emblem first because that's what I have on hand.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
You are correct. No NCO would wear shiny stuff in combat. However, the sergeants in Halo 3 are wearing utility covers with a gold emblem on the front.

Doesn't matter. . .
Elites see in black and white and flood find their way through smell.
Brutes are stupid gorillas that just happen to talk.

I have a regular customer who dabbles in fine jewelry...Im going to ask her if she can make me one of the NCO pins or even some corporal rank pins.. Just hope shes about today!

Just found a larger pic of Reynolds

Ok ive come up with this in photoshop..

unscredoak1.jpg

ShArK said:
I have a regular customer who dabbles in fine jewelry...Im going to ask her if she can make me one of the NCO pins or even some corporal rank pins.. Just hope shes about today!

Just found a larger pic of Reynolds
You, sir, are the man! I never realized that the pic you found was that large. Very nice. Ive been playing around with some UNSC logos and I hope to have something finished by later today, er, tomorrow, okay, Thursday night. BTW, what does the corporal insignia look like. I planned on using modified USMC insignia; probably Chief Warrant Officer. I got the nickname Chief from a friend of mine who was a marine. He said my style of demonstrating stuff and instructing reminded him of a CWO in his unit, and it just stuck.

USMC Corporal insignia:
MC_e4.gif

Royal Marines Corporal insignia
rank_corporal.gif

USMC Chief Warrant Officer 2 insignia
USMC_CWO_2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back