Not open for further replies.

JTF4

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Stream Team
Member DIN
S054
Hey all! I've been lurking on the forums for probably about 6 months and have finally decided to build my own armor.

I chose the MK6 because I rather enjoyed playing Halo 3 and I like the look of it a little more than Halo 4's armor.

I would love to build it to the point where I can take a full tactical roll and not break it, but that probably won't happen.

IMG_4729.jpg

I've been working on the helmet, and I have the front 2 pieces from my 3d printer done. I'm just waiting on the other 2 to finish so that I can begin the finish work.

Welcome! I am currently working on my MKVI armor too! Are you going to fully 3D print the armor?
Yep! That’s the plan at the moment! EVA foam can’t stand up to the strength that I want.

Be warned that 3D printed armor can be brittle. It takes a fair amount of work to make it strong.
Yep. That's where having friends in the carbon fiber/fiberglass business.

I'm also talking to one of my friends who runs a bullet liner shop. We're going to test coat one of my failed prints to see how it works and how strong it is.

I just finished printing all of the parts!
MK6 helmet.jpg

Now it's off to the hardware store for a healthy dose of filler primer, Bondo, and spot putty.

I'm thinking about doing a rebound 25 mold if I can nail down all of the details correctly. I have a few different ideas that I want to try with the helmet, but I don't want to have to spend a week on every helmet I need.

What printer do you have? I usually have to split my helmets into 1/8ths instead of 1/4ths because my build plate isn't big enough.

What printer do you have? I usually have to split my helmets into 1/8ths instead of 1/4ths because my build plate isn't big enough.
I have a CR-10s pro that I upgraded with a BL-Touch sensor.

That print looks really nice!

I am also curious -

I'd also love you know what print settings you used
I use .2mm layer height, 20% infill, zigzag support with 5% fill, and 90mm/s print speed.

You did an awesome job getting that put together! (way better than my first printed helmet) That will save you a ton of work + time on processing it to get it ready for the next steps.

You did an awesome job getting that put together! (way better than my first printed helmet) That will save you a ton of work + time on processing it to get it ready for the next steps.
Yea. I’m really happy with it. I’ll have to break out the bondo today so that I can fix some of the lines that didn’t match because of some warping that happened while printing.

11E8AE85-73B0-4FB3-B24E-72B0575F1E46.jpeg
Just finished the first layer of filler primer. Now I have to wait for that to cure and then sand and sand and sand and sand some more.

Build update:

Here are the pictures from after I finished with the bondo and filler primer. After this coat, I went over it with bondo 3 more times.

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4767.jpg
IMG_4765.jpg

After that, I decided to risk about 12 hours of sanding and priming and 2 weeks of printing time. So I called my local line-x shop and scheduled an appointment. Now all I can say is wow. They know what they are doing.

IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4805.jpg

I could not be happier with the results. Not only can I throw the helmet out of my upstairs bedroom window, but most of the detail was really well preserved.

That's a very cool coating. What is it? Great work on the smoothing too!
Looks great! is that a rubber coating?

line-x is a truck bed liner coating. It has a slightly rubbery texture but it’s mostly rigid. If you want to see how strong it is just look up linex watermelon on YouTube.

That's pretty cool! Can u paint over that stuff still? How much did that cost you?
Yep! You can paint over it just like you can anything else. Here are the pictures after the first green coat.
IMG_4815.jpg
IMG_4817.jpg
IMG_4818.jpg
IMG_4819.jpg

After it was all said and done, I paid $80 for the line-x. The guy I had do it has been doing it for 6 years now and he's the best out of all the dealers around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back