Halo 5 Achilles Progress build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hekok

So with HOD coming to Houston at August 16th, I'll try attending there, with a suit of Achilles armor.
Now, it is only a month away, and I am currently modifying a in-game model of the armor through Blender. I've posted a couple of other things before asking about adding extra detailing and some enhancing details to models in 3d, but this will be a thread dedicating to posting my progress on this armor.
It's nothing but hopes and dreams right now- it's my first build, I don't even know what mistakes I'll go along the way, but I am trying to get it right the first time I try it!

As my current progress on the armor- I have currently edited out the filler... foam? just some fuzzy black material that was covering the inside of the forearm piece which would block my arm to get inside of it (obviously). I have also edited out the same covering on the thigh pieces (other armor pieces didn't really have this covering).

The black covering I was talking about:

forearmunedited.PNG

Current look of forearm after removing it:

forearmedited.PNG

Now my current situation is to edit the model to be more accurate to the UV/Texture. Once doing that, I'll use armorsmith designer to scale these in size, and then try converting it into Pepakura. Let me know if there's anything I should know about from converting a model into Pepakura, or if there's anything else I might be (or will be) doing wrong!

Well, digging through the site made me realize I don't need Pepakura if I have Armorsmith Designer, so that makes things simpler.

Well, digging through the site made me realize I don't need Pepakura if I have Armorsmith Designer, so that makes things simpler.
Good luck! You have to get working on it now if you want to finish because there is not alot of time left, and I dont know what type of printer you have or how fast it prints. For those little peices, you could add them onto the armor after it printed instead of stressing, and sometimes it isnt necessary to pad the inside of the armor with foam. It is a good idea though! :)

Good luck! You have to get working on it now if you want to finish because there is not alot of time left, and I dont know what type of printer you have or how fast it prints. For those little peices, you could add them onto the armor after it printed instead of stressing, and sometimes it isnt necessary to pad the inside of the armor with foam. It is a good idea though! :)
Just know this is a Pepakura build. I am currently trying to get these models done, got a grip of how to edit models in Blender now, so I'm currently editing these models quickly so I can print these out and start folding them together! I'll also put into consideration what you've mentioned for the padding! If I do use foam, should I use sofa foam or packing foam (if ya did use any)?

I love the matress foam you put ontop of the matress. It is cool and soft, and also... squishy? :lol:
The problem with this is it is a bright yellow. If works great for the interior of helmets, but I used high density packing foam for the armor peices

That's what I found out when I went shopping, lol. I might as well get it later when I get this whole thing done- physically. I found a perfect fabric that would've fit for the SPARTAN IV techsuit. It was black not completely black and was a material made of polyester, cotton, and a whole bunch of other materials surprisingly! There was only 2 yards though. :confused:
Bought a sewing machine and hoping an undersuit will be made when I come back to see more yards of that fabric!

That's what I found out when I went shopping, lol. I might as well get it later when I get this whole thing done- physically. I found a perfect fabric that would've fit for the SPARTAN IV techsuit. It was black not completely black and was a material made of polyester, cotton, and a whole bunch of other materials surprisingly! There was only 2 yards though. :confused:
Bought a sewing machine and hoping an undersuit will be made when I come back to see more yards of that fabric!
Was it the yaya-han hexagon fabric by any chance?

No, it was a solid dark grey fabric, it seems almost like a matte-plastic texture as the halo 5 techsuits.
It's a bit bright, but here's a photo I took before I left the store.
20190722_112513.jpg

I'd want to work on the undersuit on all the detailing, but time constraints might not make it an option.

Quick Update: I realize some parts of the model is clipped together, meaning they aren't connected in any sort of way.
Gotta love modeling
On the bright side, most of the pieces are done (if we're talking about accuracy and clearing lines up), just not the biggest one of all- the chestplate.

Learned something new: How to select objects linked together with CTRL+L. This'll definitely make things easier as I track down those sneaky clipped objects! Found out the shoulder piece is not linked together, either.

As of now, I've completed the Abs (or the belly piece), buttplate as I like to call it, and the knee guard. I have cleaned out the lines for an easier folding process, and for that, I have technically completed the greaves. On my way to finishing this heck of a model ASAP.

In terms of the undersuit: I bought those 2 (and 6 inches) yards of fabric. See what I can make out of it and hope it's enough.

thigh.PNG
Well, this was what I had meant.
It might be difficult to notice (or not), but the thigh armor? Two different pieces.
Gotta clamp these two together!

Ok guys! JUST found out that I can create a whole bunch of lines on these clipped models, making it WAY more easier now than ever!
In case anyone wants to know (or wants to use blender), to make lines out of these clipped faces, you select one of the pieces (in this case i selected the top part of the thigh piece), press CTRL+F, and then click on the Intersect (Knife) button, making edges for all the intersecting parts!

All I need to do now is to clean it all up from the inside of these pieces and continue progress!

Edit: To merge them completely together, make sure you select both models and press the "Remove Doubles" which will remove any duplicate edges in the model.

Last edited:
Update. Shoulders are finally a full piece, and so are the shoes. The thigh piece is still need of merging the pieces together, but I am currently working on the torso armor. The back is merged together and all i need left is to merge the thrusters to the back. Once working on the thighs, I will try to clean the lines and then begin scaling and thus printing.

work.jpg

Currently am trying to clean the whole armor up.
Got the shoe and greaves done. Starting from the bottom and reaching my way to the top. I'll update when I have the armor printed, unless a problem could come up and I'll need some help. Wish me luck

I know I should've came back with prints on everything...
But I wanted to give a quick update for all.
I enhanced the model of the helmet yesterday, and then ruined it. I deleted the displacement map, and guess what. I saved right after it. It took a whole day (though admittedly recently I have been getting lazier to completing this) trying to finish this. I have most of the armor already scaled (the thigh piece literally has one face that is not merged with the full model, pretty easy) in Armorsmith Designer, but ultimately this helmet is going to make this even longer to finish. I hope I can instantly finish this off, because this whole blender experience was very grueling as I had to clean up very little edges and the such as I merged pieces.
I will give an update next once I actually have this thing done and ready to fold. I am 3 days late from what I expected, and was hoping to start on my pepakura today.

Good luck, man. Setbacks happen, don't let them get you discouraged. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Update!
I fixed the model, and finally set the armor to scale. Although I have the armor in scale to my body, I'm not sure whether it's suitable enough or if it could be too tight...
I'm using Armorsmith Designer, for any wondering. Does anyone know if there's a way of knowing whether the armor fits or not (something like a indicator that it's touching the avatar, for example)?

Not that I am aware of myself, but you DO want the armor kinda snug. Not tight, but snug. It'll help prevent a host of problems down the road.

20190731_214408.jpg

Maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself.

So I decided to get a morphsuit, because time constraints (once again). I will work on my own with the fabric I have one day though!
I also got LEDs and checked spray paint at a hardware store as my mom went looking for something.

With that being said...
How can we connect armor pieces with LEDs together? I know it's possible to solder the LEDs together, but I can't go walking around with cables all over me now, can I? Especially when I have a helmet which I also plan to use LEDs on.

As for the spray paint, I found a Krylon paint + primer mix, has anyone used this before, and if so- does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back