Halo 5 Fred-104: Foam Techsuit and Armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimus

Hey! My name is Mortimush and so far this is my second build, but my first thread of my own to document the progress... so first build post! My first build was based on the Halo 3 ODST thanks to my friends purchasing me a Halo 3 ODST helmet cast in resin. Now I want to do a Spartan build!

I am going to be doing some heavy research and I'll putting lots of time into this Fred 104 build. I should probably list all my plans out so that it's easier to read.

WARNING: long first post with pictures!

-----------------------------------------------------
What I intend to build and what I assume will be needed for each project:

Techsuit
  • Zentai suit for the base
    • May need to be altered if not sized correctly.
  • EVA foam or fabric for simulated muscles/textureson all major exposed body parts:
    • Template out a Halo 5 Techsuit for following body parts:
      • Neck
      • Shoulders/Arms/Biceps
      • Torso
      • Spine Cover
      • Back
      • Posterior
      • Legs
    • **Mainly, I want to be able to move, not sweat to death, and achieve the appearance of a Spartan techsuit. Thin foam or fabrics may be applied depending on my interpretation and execution of the techsuit, I do NOT expect this to be perfect (I would need military funding and some scientists to make a real tech suit so cut me some slack as I build this).
  • Shoes with added foam on the bottom to give me more height
  • Attachment methodfor armor using Fidlocks (to be added once armor is built or planned out)
    • I intend on using this magnet locking mechanism embed into the foam for ease of putting on/taking off/securing armor pieces to my arm, this may be adjusted later once I figure it all out. It looks really cool and sounds promising!
Weapons
Note:
I fully intend to build every piece of armor on this project, but I WILL be getting assistance with the weapons for this project. If I am to put myself into any costuming competitions I will only rely on my craftsmanship for the armor, as the weapons will be 3D printed and not designed by me. That said, I will be finishing and painting them!
  • Halo 5 DMR with Longshot Scope
    • 3D file from misterchiefcostuming on Thingiverse
  • Halo 5 M6H Handgun
    • Files Art Andrews in The Armory!
Armor
Note: For this build I am using the Pepakura unfold files provided by Smelms. Scaling them and adjusting them for foam with the help of ArmorSmith and Pepakura. Again this will be built MOSTLY out of different thicknesses of EVA foam. There may be reason to include plastics or other materials, but that's to be determined.

Top Half:
Pepakura unfolds to determine scale for all armor pieces.​
  • Helmet
    • EVA foam for ~90% of helmet
    • Support pads to stabilize helmet on my head
    • TBD: I may search for or create my own plastic visor
  • Torso
    • EVA foam for Chest, Back, and Ab plate.
      • **TBD but depending on how thicc I am at the time of building this I may be able to split this over my head. Alternatively, I may use the FidLock magnet system to attach and detach where the spartan armor separates naturally (i.e. the chest plate and back plate) if it is easier that way.
  • Shoulders
    • EVA foam
    • FidLock magnets to attach to techsuit
  • Forearms
    • EVA foam
    • FidLock magnets to attach OR simple snaps
      • Snaps worked well on my ODST with keeping orientation when I moved my arm. I will have to see/test which I like better.
  • Gloves
    • EVA foam/Fabric
    • I will have dedicated gloves from the zentai suit that I will be gluing EVA foam or securing fabric to.
      • These are detachable but the zipper should be easily hidden by armor. I know how life goes when wanting to grab your wallet, phone, or convention badge and you just don't have the hand articulation or a handler nearby to grab things easily so I went with detachable gloves!
Bottom Half
  • Posterior
    • EVA foam
      • **Butt plate may be directly adhered to the tech suit. There really isn't a reason that I see to have this come off, even if I am sitting.
  • Thigh
    • EVA foam
      • **The techsuit should create enough of a platform to be able to secure these pretty well!
  • Knee
    • EVA foam
    • FidLock magnets to attach OR simple snaps (?)
      • **My ODST secured most things with simple heavy duty snaps. It worked well but I would like to look into other means of securing them.
  • Shin/Calf
    • EVA foam
    • Fidlock magnets to attach to tech suit.
      • **Shins are by far the easiest thing to get away with in my opinion when it comes to securing them. If you scaled them well enough they should be snug around your leg and the boot does a good job of keep it in place. That said, I will most likely have at least 2 points of securing it in place.
  • Boot
    • EVA foam with shoe inside
      • Eva foam will do well to cover shoe strings
    • Barge cement or adhere shoe in place permanently into the boot
    • Add ~2inches of foam to bottom to create more height
      • **Doing this will actually fill in the bottom part of the boot for Fred. In Armorsmith it looks scaled proportionally!

I will try to update this regularly so that I keep myself on schedule with building this, but I want to take my time and do things right! Feel free to ask questions or if you have any experience with tech suit building please let me know!

Finally, a few images just for myself to keep track of things and to show what Fidlocks are if you aren't aware of them or if you have tried them let me know how it went!

• Fred 104 XPS model V2.0. What I intend do use for a lot of my inspiration for scaling and design!
daz4vwh-6ac4e56d-f0e5-4066-bd45-95c8cc455b02.jpg

**Credit to: navie9888ch on DeviantArt

• These are the Fidlock magnets I mention frequently in this build thread! They go straight into the "U" and can only be released in one direction. Orientated correctly, I plan to make sure my armor can only come off if I pull on it a certain direction!
fidlock.jpg

**Credit to: Fidlock

Hey! My name is Mortimush and so far this is my second build, but my first thread of my own to document the progress... so first build post! My first build was based on the Halo 3 ODST thanks to my friends purchasing me a Halo 3 ODST helmet cast in resin. Now I want to do a Spartan build!

I am going to be doing some heavy research and I'll putting lots of time into this Fred 104 build. I should probably list all my plans out so that it's easier to read.

WARNING: long first post with pictures!

What I intend to build and what I assume will be needed for each project:

Techsuit
  • Zentai suit for the base
    • May need to be altered if not sized correctly.
  • EVA foam or fabric for simulated muscles/textureson all major exposed body parts:
    • Template out a Halo 5 Techsuit for following body parts:
      • Neck
      • Shoulders/Arms/Biceps
      • Torso
      • Spine Cover
      • Back
      • Posterior
      • Legs
    • **Mainly, I want to be able to move, not sweat to death, and achieve the appearance of a Spartan techsuit. Thin foam or fabrics may be applied depending on my interpretation and execution of the techsuit, I do NOT expect this to be perfect (I would need military funding and some scientists to make a real tech suit so cut me some slack as I build this).
  • Shoes with added foam on the bottom to give me more height
  • Attachment methodfor armor using Fidlocks (to be added once armor is built or planned out)
    • I intend on using this magnet locking mechanism embed into the foam for ease of putting on/taking off/securing armor pieces to my arm, this may be adjusted later once I figure it all out. It looks really cool and sounds promising!
Weapons
Note:
I fully intend to build every piece of armor on this project, but I WILL be getting assistance with the weapons for this project. If I am to put myself into any costuming competitions I will only rely on my craftsmanship for the armor, as the weapons will be 3D printed and not designed by me. That said, I will be finishing and painting them!
  • Halo 5 DMR with Longshot Scope
    • 3D file from misterchiefcostuming on Thingiverse
  • Halo 5 M6H Handgun
    • Files Art Andrews in The Armory!
Armor
Note: For this build I am using the Pepakura unfold files provided by Smelms. Scaling them and adjusting them for foam with the help of ArmorSmith and Pepakura. Again this will be built MOSTLY out of different thicknesses of EVA foam. There may be reason to include plastics or other materials, but that's to be determined.

Top Half:
  • Helmet
    • EVA foam for ~90% of helmet
    • Support pads to stabilize helmet on my head
    • TBD: I may search for or create my own plastic visor
  • Torso
    • EVA foam for Chest, Back, and Ab plate.
      • **TBD but depending on how thicc I am at the time of building this I may be able to split this over my head. Alternatively, I may use the FidLock magnet system to attach and detach where the spartan armor separates naturally (i.e. the chest plate and back plate) if it is easier that way.
  • Shoulders
    • EVA foam
  • Forearms
    • EVA foam
    • FidLock magnets to attach OR simple snaps
      • Snaps worked well on my ODST with keeping orientation when I moved my arm. I will have to see/test which I like better.
  • Gloves
    • EVA foam/Fabric
    • I will have dedicated gloves from the zentai suit that I will be gluing EVA foam or securing fabric to.
      • These are detachable but the zipper should be easily hidden by armor. I know how life goes when wanting to grab your wallet, phone, or convention badge and you just don't have the hand articulation or a handler nearby to grab things easily so I went with detachable gloves!
Bottom Half
  • Posterior
    • EVA foam
      • **Butt plate may be directly adhered to the tech suit. There really isn't a reason that I see to have this come off, even if I am sitting.
  • Thigh
    • EVA foam
      • **The techsuit should create enough of a platform to be able to secure these pretty well!
  • Knee
    • EVA foam
    • FidLock magnets to attach OR simple snaps (?)
      • **My ODST secured most things with simple heavy duty snaps. It worked well but I would like to look into other means of securing them.
  • Shin/Calf
    • EVA foam
    • Fidlock magnets to attach to tech suit.
      • **Shins are by far the easiest thing to get away with in my opinion when it comes to securing them. If you scaled them well enough they should be snug around your leg and the boot does a good job of keep it in place. That said, I will most likely have at least 2 points of securing it in place.
  • Boot
    • EVA foam with shoe inside
      • Eva foam will do well to cover shoe strings
    • Barge cement or adhere shoe in place permanently into the boot
    • Add ~2inches of foam to bottom to create more height
      • **Doing this will actually fill in the bottom part of the boot for Fred. In Armorsmith it looks scaled proportionally!

I will try to update this regularly so that I keep myself on schedule with building this, but I want to take my time and do things right! Feel free to ask questions or if you have any experience with tech suit building please let me know!

Finally, a few images just for myself to keep track of things and to show what Fidlocks are if you aren't aware of them or if you have tried them let me know how it went!

• Fred 104 XPS model V2.0. What I intend do use for a lot of my inspiration for scaling and design!
View attachment 291075
**Credit to: navie9888ch on DeviantArt

• These are the Fidlock magnets I mention frequently in this build thread! They go straight into the "U" and can only be released in one direction. Orientated correctly, I plan to make sure my armor can only come off if I pull on it a certain direction!
View attachment 291077
**Credit to: Fidlock

i like this idea thank you

So far this is what I found, they have worldwide shipping, it gets expensive with shipping: Magnetic Fasteners by Fidlock
Alternatively, I may contact the Etsy seller (there seems to be only one) and see if they have what I am looking for and decent shipping.

I'll post if I find out more!
The website is SLIGHTLY cheaper with shipping costs. I quoted 12 female and male (24 items total) and the shipping for Etsy the Germany retailer. Germany retailer is $109 US, Etsy goes up to $127

The website is SLIGHTLY cheaper with shipping costs. I quoted 12 female and male (24 items total) and the shipping for Etsy the Germany retailer. Germany retailer is $109 US, Etsy goes up to $127

thank you for the info

thank you for the info
Just an update, I am contacting WBC industries to see if they can special order it in smaller quantities.

Strapworks, one of the other sellers of Fidlock buckles, would need an order of 5000 or more to even get a special order. Not feasible.

I am following up with WBC industries now, and unless they can special order it in small quantities then I am stuck with ordering through somewhere international (etsy or the german store I found that sells worldwide).

WBC Industries is able to take orders and appears to be way cheaper shipping so far.

I spoke with a Carol Warren who gave me the following info for the specific items:

FL - 05600 SNAP female L screw
Price: $2.44 each

FL - 05007 SNAP male L screw low
Price: $1.85 each

They come in a pack of 2, so you would have to order at least 2 female and 2 male. Contact by phone or email and it seems like they can get your info and ship it to you. Shipping minimum is $12.40, which is much cheaper than anywhere else.

Here is their #: 1-800-818-2932

If you have questions about a different version of the FidLock Snap, there are many, then use the Fidlock catalog and send them the Item #, they should be able to provide a quote!

WOOT! Thankful I found a place in the US that sells them

-Morti

WBC Industries is able to take orders and appears to be way cheaper shipping so far.

I spoke with a Carol Warren who gave me the following info for the specific items:

FL - 05600 SNAP female L screw
Price: $2.44 each

FL - 05007 SNAP male L screw low
Price: $1.85 each

They come in a pack of 2, so you would have to order at least 2 female and 2 male. Contact by phone or email and it seems like they can get your info and ship it to you. Shipping minimum is $12.40, which is much cheaper than anywhere else.

Here is their #: 1-800-818-2932

If you have questions about a different version of the FidLock Snap, there are many, then use the Fidlock catalog and send them the Item #, they should be able to provide a quote!

WOOT! Thankful I found a place in the US that sells them

-Morti
Thanks for doing the foot work. i will be buying some of them and if my next check is what i hope i will buy some extra so if anyone needs them i will have them for you know emergencies lol.

Thanks for doing the foot work. i will be buying some of them and if my next check is what i hope i will buy some extra so if anyone needs them i will have them for you know emergencies lol.
Remember, these are just two of them. They have a whole line of smaller ones, thicker spacing ones, sewable, etc. Peruse their catalog if you don't want those specific ones!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, look forward to seeing how the techsuit turns out, as I have had some plans to made some of the hard parts of the techsuit with a 3d printed negative mold and some flexpaste or silicone, while the rest would be mostly fabrics and hamper/fix netting for the hexagonal undersuit parts that make up the underlaying details.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, look forward to seeing how the techsuit turns out, as I have had some plans to made some of the hard parts of the techsuit with a 3d printed negative mold and some flexpaste or silicone, while the rest would be mostly fabrics and hamper/fix netting for the hexagonal undersuit parts that make up the underlaying details.
I'm hoping it can turn out as good as I am imagining it. Sounds like you have a solid plan for how to do the tech suit! Excited to see yours as well

helo Mortimus i started working on my first master chief build and im currently stuck on the tech suit and i have no Ida how to start building it or where should i even begin with i was hoping you could help me out with Your experience (its my firs halo build and only my second build in general and i thought it will be wholesome if one of u guys here can help me)

helo Mortimus i started working on my first master chief build and I'm currently stuck on the tech suit and i have no Ida how to start building it or where should i even begin with i was hoping you could help me out with Your experience (its my firs halo build and only my second build in general and i thought it will be wholesome if one of u guys here can help me)
For my first suit of armor, I didn't make a tech suit, but I did use a piece of motocross armor, sew together a compression suit, made butt armor for the compression suit, and it works pretty well, for significantly cheaper than doing RnD for a from-scratch tech suit.

For my first suit of armor, I didn't make a tech suit, but I did use a piece of motocross armor, sew together a compression suit, made butt armor for the compression suit, and it works pretty well, for significantly cheaper than doing RnD for a from-scratch tech suit.
thank you very much for the advice :) i would probably do that but if i wanted to make a tech suit where should i start from, apart from the reference pics and material gathering like how do i make the technical stuf (how do i break it in to a pattern should i wrap my self in aluminum foil to get the siz right like what should i do....)

thank you very much for the advice :) i would probably do that but if i wanted to make a tech suit where should i start from, apart from the reference pics and material gathering like how do i make the technical stuf (how do i break it in to a pattern should i wrap my self in aluminum foil to get the siz right like what should i do....)
There are some tutorials on how to do body wraps, create your own templates, or just use a simple motocross suit or zentai suit. There is plenty of information out there on the 405th specifically and plenty of other cosplay YouTube channels and makers in the community. I would see what's in your budget for money, time, and tools! Then just jump in and try something.

There are some tutorials on how to do body wraps, create your own templates, or just use a simple motocross suit or zentai suit. There is plenty of information out there on the 405th specifically and plenty of other cosplay YouTube channels and makers in the community. I would see what's in your budget for money, time, and tools! Then just jump in and try something.
thank you so muchhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back