1st Build Halo Infinite Master Chief Full Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLifeStack

I just wanted to start this thread to get some tips and ideas on how to 3D print props better. Along the way I'll be posting my work in progress from start to finish. my Goal of this whole thread is to fully build from top to bottom the Halo Infinite Master Chief suit.

So far I failed my first attempt at printing the helmet part of the build. Just to note I am also new 3D printing in general. My prints came out really nice but they failed in the end due to one error I encountered. To start the helmet is larger than the bed of my Ender 3 Pro 3D printer so I would need to learn how to slice the helmet into multiple pieces. I also needed to scale the helmet to 105% as the creator Moe suggested due to the full suit is based on a 5'9 person if I'm not mistaken and I am 6ft.

Anyways I learned how to slice the helmet and I ended up slicing it into 8 parts. I printed 5 Parts of 8 before I ever even tried to see if they fit together. Looking back I should of looked at every piece as I printed it. now you might be wondering what was wrong? My parts came out different sizes, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. To the best of my knowledge I believe as I was just learning how to slice and scale files I missed one very important step. Before you slice any file you should scale it first and then slice. What I did was I sliced the helmet at regular 100% then when I was in Cura (3D printer software) I scaled each part up to 105% individually. Not only was this the wrong way of doing it but it ends up opening more chances of human error and what not.

After realizing my mistake, wasting 3 days of printing, and about 1kg of filament I went back to the drawing board and restarted from the beginning. This time I scaled the helmet to 105% before slicing it. I also decided to slice it into 6 parts rather than 8, this just saves me some gluing and chance for error.

Finally for this post ill leave some images bellow of the miss print parts. My next post will be a little more interesting. Also I'm still trying to figure out how posting here works :)

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 155
Here's an Update. let me know if I'm posting this right. I am currently in the process of printing my last piece of the helmet I mentioned earlier. So far it's coming out really good. I'll share my experience so far. I've been experimenting with different types of glue and for me so far I have found that Oatey standard grade yellow Abs cement works the best. Abs is easy to work with and it won't dry super fast on you so you'll have many chances to fix your positions. I find that the Abs starts to become solid after 3 minutes or so. For those 3 minutes I typically hold the parts I'm gluing exactly where I want them and then I let them dry and harden naturally. Abs is also easy to sand but I wish it wasn't in a yellow colour (side note I'm also printing a energy sword and you could see why yellow wouldn't work on a clear print)

Below I will leave some pictures of my progress so far. It's mot much but at least I've started something. I cant wait to show the full helmet glued together before I slap some paint on it!

Stay frosty!

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 152
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 152
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 163
Looks great so far! Good to see you were able to figure out your scaling issue. What material are you printing in? You may be able to use superglue for the energy sword. Not completely transparent (it'd look diffused when it dries), but it'd be better than the yellow adhesive.

Looks great so far! Good to see you were able to figure out your scaling issue. What material are you printing in? You may be able to use superglue for the energy sword. Not completely transparent (it'd look diffused when it dries), but it'd be better than the yellow adhesive.
As of right now I am Using Esun PLA+ Olive Green for the Armor and Esun PLA+ Clear for the sword. I would agree with you though, for the sword superglue would be my best option since the sword will light up and is somewhat transparent. I only used abs yellow on the sword as I didnt have superglue and it was the first 3D print I ever tried gluing.

thanks for stopping by! I appreciate it and hope to see you in this tread again sometime when I post more. You seem to be very intertwined with the community, which is awesome!

Update time! I finally printed the last part to the helmet and glued it together. Below is the before and after pics of the parts before I sanded them down. Unfortunately just before I started this project I got rid of my Dremel, as always when you need something its gone lol. Anyways I had to sand everything by hand and eventually I got the helmet sanded down as best as I could by hand. I even used an exacto knife wherever I could. I know the helmet still looks rough but it'll be better, I promise. I think later this week or in the next few days depending I'm gonna start on painting the helmet. I'll leave another post when I get some more progress done!

Until then stay tuned and let me know what you think or if anyone has any has any ideas/tips.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image4 (1).jpeg
    image4 (1).jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 133
I just wanted to start this thread to get some tips and ideas on how to 3D print props better. Along the way I'll be posting my work in progress from start to finish. my Goal of this whole thread is to fully build from top to bottom the Halo Infinite Master Chief suit.

So far I failed my first attempt at printing the helmet part of the build. Just to note I am also new 3D printing in general. My prints came out really nice but they failed in the end due to one error I encountered. To start the helmet is larger than the bed of my Ender 3 Pro 3D printer so I would need to learn how to slice the helmet into multiple pieces. I also needed to scale the helmet to 105% as the creator Moe suggested due to the full suit is based on a 5'9 person if I'm not mistaken and I am 6ft.

Anyways I learned how to slice the helmet and I ended up slicing it into 8 parts. I printed 5 Parts of 8 before I ever even tried to see if they fit together. Looking back I should of looked at every piece as I printed it. now you might be wondering what was wrong? My parts came out different sizes, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. To the best of my knowledge I believe as I was just learning how to slice and scale files I missed one very important step. Before you slice any file you should scale it first and then slice. What I did was I sliced the helmet at regular 100% then when I was in Cura (3D printer software) I scaled each part up to 105% individually. Not only was this the wrong way of doing it but it ends up opening more chances of human error and what not.

After realizing my mistake, wasting 3 days of printing, and about 1kg of filament I went back to the drawing board and restarted from the beginning. This time I scaled the helmet to 105% before slicing it. I also decided to slice it into 6 parts rather than 8, this just saves me some gluing and chance for error.

Finally for this post ill leave some images bellow of the miss print parts. My next post will be a little more interesting. Also I'm still trying to figure out how posting here works :)
I am looking at making my own suite top to bottom also! However, I am fairly new to 3D printing and I do not have enough experience to make the files myself. Did you make them yourself or did you find someone who had already made them?

I am looking at making my own suite top to bottom also! However, I am fairly new to 3D printing and I do not have enough experience to make the files myself. Did you make them yourself or did you find someone who had already made them?
It depends on what kind of suit you are looking for. MoeSizzlac has some great armor files for free on thingiverse. Moe's Halo Infinite Chief was made back in 2020 long before Chief's design was finalized. I am using Galactic Armory's chief files for my build since they are the best looking ones that I have seen. There are options for all sorts of sartan suits both free and paid, you just have to know where to look.

It depends on what kind of suit you are looking for. MoeSizzlac has some great armor files for free on thingiverse. Moe's Halo Infinite Chief was made back in 2020 long before Chief's design was finalized. I am using Galactic Armory's chief files for my build since they are the best looking ones that I have seen. There are options for all sorts of sartan suits both free and paid, you just have to know where to look.
Have you found any that where already cut up for a smaller printer? I have and Ender 3 Pro and need to cut up the pieces but I am either not smart enough to do it or have not tried the proper software. I believe part of my issue is I only have the STL files and not the original ones?

Have you found any that where already cut up for a smaller printer? I have and Ender 3 Pro and need to cut up the pieces but I am either not smart enough to do it or have not tried the proper software. I believe part of my issue is I only have the STL files and not the original ones?
MoeSizzlac has files cut up for an Ender 3, however they are for Halo 3 Master Chief. if I remember correctly it is over 50 parts. I haven't seen any spot-on files for Chief's armor in Halo Infinite. MoeSizzlac does some other amazing things like his various Halo reach armor parts and his helmets.

here is the link: Chopped up for 8x10x8 Printer-Halo 3-Mark 6-Master Chief Armor Set(No Helmet) by moesizzlac

It says it is scaled to somebody that is approx 5' 10 and ~185 lbs.

You may want to dowload his non-cut armor and scale it to your body in armorsmith so that you know exactly what sizes to print every part in.

I am also somewhat new to building armor, but feel free to DM me here on the forums and I'll give you my Discord.

How's the update? I am about to start the Infinite project myself and want to start with cast/molding the Helmet. Purchasing Galactic's helmet as well.

Just Making a post here. Its been really slow for a few reasons, I got my emails hacked and have finally got access to most of them now and as you all know life is not always fair and gets hard at times. I genuinely am sorry to everyone I have yet to reply too but I will answer everyone after this post and hope it still helps in some way. Again my deepest apologies for not updating as often as I would like but I am back now. If anyone ever want to reach me outside of here you could contact me on discord at NoLifeStack#1596

Hey FMER I believe DRDINGBOBBLE summed it up pretty well for the most part. I personally reached out to MoeSizzlac after I seen his files on the Master Chief build and I decided to go with his build. Just as you, I am still fairly new to 3d printing and I did not know a single thing when I started and it was mostly trial and error. If you need certain parts cut up I might be able to help you as I saved all my previous cuts from the original files. so for example I have all the stl files for the helmet cut and ready to print in 8 parts for the ender 3 pro. I am very sorry for such a late response.

How's the update? I am about to start the Infinite project myself and want to start with cast/molding the Helmet. Purchasing Galactic's helmet as well.
Hey how are you doing, sorry for such a late response but yes I do have an update even though it may be small and not look like much. Since last time i showed a picture of my helmet I fully sanded it down to where I like it and put a base coat of Acrylic Leaf Green paint. Honestly I really suck at anything art related so the whole painting thing will take me a long time. I do get the help of my sister but its hard to coordinate. The reason I haven't done much else is, I don't like to move on to new projects like working on the chest plate for example till my current project is complete in this case the helmet. Other than that I am still slowly working on the helmet adding scrapes and scratches and will add more detailed paint at some point. For now I realized one really neat thing about the helmet. you do not need any fancy helmet pad system on the inside. I found that if you use a standard flat brim baseball cap you could slide it into the helmet and just wear the helmet like a hat for the most part lol. I hope this kind of helps even if its just a little and if you need anything I'll try to help as much as I can.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.