Halo Infinite - Undersuit Armor TPU Pieces - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeSizzlac

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Hello All,

I'm entering the final stages of designing Halo Infinite under armor (Generic). Before I release them, what are your thoughts on the way they Look/Function.

Do you have a suggestion to improve them? Grab an image and draw what you are looking for in functionality (a cut here, opening there to allow for nylon strapping, etc.)

I currently have them with a wall thickness of about 2mm to allow for more flexibility, but this may cause more issues while printing.

Neck
Should I print with a slice open in the back? Should the neck be higher?

1603205265554.png
1603205322391.png

Shoulder: 2 options.
1) Keep it as one piece or 2?
1603205453681.png
1603205584866.png

Right now, the broken one has slots for nylon strapping.

Elbow:

1603205718192.png
1603205757536.png

Torso:
1603205849770.png
1603205887174.png

Pants:
1603206058707.png
1603206094394.png

Knee:
Not much different from the elbow:
1603205941687.png
1603205983339.png

Hello All,

I'm entering the final stages of designing Halo Infinite under armor (Generic). Before I release them, what are your thoughts on the way they Look/Function.

Do you have a suggestion to improve them? Grab an image and draw what you are looking for in functionality (a cut here, opening there to allow for nylon strapping, etc.)

I currently have them with a wall thickness of about 2mm to allow for more flexibility, but this may cause more issues while printing.

Neck
Should I print with a slice open in the back? Should the neck be higher?

View attachment 298255 View attachment 298256

Shoulder: 2 options.
1) Keep it as one piece or 2?
View attachment 298257 View attachment 298258

Right now, the broken one has slots for nylon strapping.

Elbow:

View attachment 298259 View attachment 298260

Torso:
View attachment 298261 View attachment 298262

Pants:
View attachment 298265 View attachment 298266

Knee:
Not much different from the elbow:
View attachment 298263 View attachment 298264

Like everything else you make, I love all of this!

My only advice is that if you are planning on making multiple prints for people, making a sturdy mold for these as opposed to 3D printing every time would probably be easier and give you less headaches.

If you are just making the models and leaving folks to their own devices:

Neck: Keep it lower, because that is just easier and people can always use a compression hood and attach that to their material under suit. No cut in the back people can squeeze their heads through or if they did want a cut in the back they can always add it with a sharp knife (and add a zipper if they are feeling really fancy).

Shoulder: Two pieces, that gives it a little more flex and lets it better hold contour to the body (though it doesn't keep as nice of lines, but I always vote practicality over appearance).

The rest of it looks fantastic. The only suggestion (and it might be a stupid one) would be to add bevels to the areas that would attach to the armour itself (looking at you knees) so that they are easier to strap in/ on.

Moe, you make this community what it is, you are wonderful. Thank you for everything you do!!!

Damn, I would even be tempted to use these for my 40k Terminator build! These look awesome . If these are printed in TPU, how hot and sweaty do you think your body parts will get? That would be part of my concern, stompin around a Con for a few hours. Great job!

hey moe can you remove the part i have circled because your chest part already has this and it make the chest raise up it looks fun that way. just something i forgot about till after i pm you.

Attachments

• edit.png
    edit.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 172
All good suggestions. I'll finish up this stuff sometime this week. If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to chime in. I don't bite.

hey Moe do you think on the neck seal you could put slots for webbing i will show in the pics.

Attachments

• front of neck seal.png
    front of neck seal.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 219
  • back of neck seal.png
    back of neck seal.png
    25 KB · Views: 180
Don't know enough about the Infinite under suit, but it looks spot on. I'm a little concerned with mobility and comfort however. If these pieces are 3d printed, than it's a completely solid under suit. Would it be possible to convert these into sheet templates that could be used to cut rubber and fabric?

Don't know enough about the Infinite under suit, but it looks spot on. I'm a little concerned with mobility and comfort however. If these pieces are 3d printed, than it's a completely solid under suit. Would it be possible to convert these into sheet templates that could be used to cut rubber and fabric?
Most of the 3d printer guys/gals use stuff called tpu it's flexible to some degree. I will print the posts anns make a mold and cast them in dragon skin material. That stuff is really flexible and stretchy. I think there are some pdo files you can do in foamim not a 100% on that Moe will have to answer if these file are made for pdo.

I've never heard of tpu! I've been using pla for everything.
TPU is a special kind of hell to work with. It can be flexible and therefore, can use it on parts that need to bend.

As Angus314 states,
"TPU is one of the hardest filaments I've ever printed with and honestly I'm not sure I would recommend it for entire pieces like the ab wraps I've seen people do. it's going to be very stiff unless you print the thing in vase mode and even then it'll bend weird

If you do go for TPU, try printing just details that you want to flex but not too much like spine armor. Research ways to attach it to fabric first though and make sure you get the right shore hardness of TPU. The right TPU is expensive and hard to print with but will flex quite a bit with the right settings. The wrong TPU is easier to print with but is a more hard rubber plastic kind of like the stuff you'll find in boat bumpers. One sec and I'll get you a shore hardness guide.

here's all the different brands and their shore hardnesses(edited)

here's a scale to give you a good example
1603800832818.png
"

Here are my thoughts:

1) Whatever you print, try to print as a whole piece. this stuff is not fun trying to glue together.

2) if you have another hot end piece that has not been used before, use that for your TPU and tpu only. ABS, PLA, PetG leave behind deposits that are difficult to remove and will screw up your TPU prints.

3) If you have to glue together, get a 3d pen and load with the tpu to ensure the bond is flexable and consistent.

4) settings are crucial. Try to find some that work for your machine. Mine may be different than yours but basically, I print slow...about 1200 mm/min. extrusion varies by machine but this stuff

5) I ended up gluing velcro to the back of mine using the 3d pen as sort of a hot glue gun and strapped it to my suit. The only thing I found sticking to tpu was a) the glass it was printed on and b) tpu itself. Not even shoe goo worked.

Basically, try some TPU printing when you are super bored and need something to kick your butt for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back