Props Halo: Legends Covenant Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
I rented "HALO: Legends" on DVD a few weekends ago (pretty much as soon as it came out, lol), and I came across an interesting item worthy of being drafted and possibly built.

One of the later short stories on the DVD is a Covenant-based story entitled "The Duel", where some of the Elites are seen sporting regular metal blades. They still looked like the Plasma Sword, but without the bling-bling, lol.

Anyway, there was one wielded by one bad-@$$ Convenant dude at the end, and the all-metal blade he carried differed a bit in size (okay, it was huge, lol) and design.

I was immediately taken with the somewhat different design as soon as I saw it, so I've now done up at least a schematic of it, with possible plans to make a 1:1 scale scratch-build of it sometime in the future.

Here's the quick twenty-minute schematic I drew up (went through a few rough drafts, looking at nothing but paused images of what I could see of the sword):

Metal Covenant Sword

It's obviously not to scale (only used one sheet of paper), but you get the idea. If I were to go the old-fashioned route and draft it on paper, I imagine it would take a lot of pages (it's much larger than the standard Plasma Sword), lol.

From what I could tell, this version of the sword measures in at roughly twice the length of the Plasma Sword. It's so big they even put two handles on it, so what's that tell ya. I imagine even the MC would have difficulty wielding this thing, lol.

But, can you imagine a beast of a Covenant sword like that hanging on your wall? Just too kewl for words, imho :D

EDIT: Okay, so after looking at it a bit, I realized the blade part in front of the handles looked a little too thin (and therefore not structurally sound) compared to the one seen on the DVD, so I redrew it, lol.

Here's the new schematic, as well as a comparison between the two drafts:

Metal Covenant Sword -- Draft # 02

Metal Covenant Sword -- Draft Comparison

You can see in the comparison pic I'd already started reworking the outer edge of the blades on the first draft, as I felt those "extensions" (for lack of a better term) were too thick.

Also, I realized there wasn't enough of a taper effect from the hilt (hand guard) to the tip, when compared to the standard Plasma Sword schematic I drew previously. So, I fixed that, too.

Ho-HO! Sa-weet Elvis! When you mentioned this I couldn't really remember it's shape only it's size. But now that I see your sketch how could I have forgoteen? That's freaking sweet man! How big do you figure it is? I'm tempted to build this puppy now! :D

Thanks, Joe! I really like how it turned out, given how little reference material I had to go on. Not too bad for a quick sketch, huh? ;) lol

From what I could tell when I watched "The Duel" this appears to be roughly two times the size of the standard Covenant Plasma Sword.

If going by the dimensions of mine, which is 35.25" long by 12" wide, then hypothetically this beast of a sword would measure about 70" long. Which is enormous.

However, I think that would be a little too much, so let's say it's maybe 2/3 longer than the standard.

That would make it 58.75" in length, just a smidgen under 59" (probably just round it up to an even 59"). A little more manageable size-wise, should anyone want to try a build of this.

Speaking of which *nudge nudge wink wink*, I think it would be way kewl if you did a full-size build of this, buddy. Only problem would be where to keep it, lol.

Once I've moved in with the gf come June, I'd love to have something like this to display on the wall in my new prop room :lol

EDIT: I don't know how wide the blades would be in front of the handles, though. I know it would be wider than the 12" on the standard Plasma Sword, assuming the same 2/3 rule for the width as with the length. So, maybe 20" wide?

I threw this together tonight on SketchUp its perfectly symetrical

[attachment=15302:Covenant Sword 2.JPG]

Cheers

I look forward to seeing your build of this, dude. That will definately be quite the sight to behold.

Btw, after some help from juliet76 (thanks buddy), below is a proper schematic done up for the sword, for anyone really wanting to tackle this build:

Sangheili Dual Handed Sword

I guess I got the width a little off; we figured 16.376", whereas I guess-timated 20", lol. Go with the stated width in the new schematic, not what I mentioned in my previous post.

EDIT: Thanks Dragon, but juliet76 already beat you to it, lol. I appreciate your efforts, though.

Grrrrrrr beaten to the punch :poh well ill continue on & 3D it so it could be peped for those that dont have the resources to build it from wood. Nice work to juliet76, as always your schematic looks top notch. Oh by the way what would the thickness of the blade & handles be?

Cheers

gingersnapples said:
finally! a sword that DOSEN'T take electronics!

Yeah, lol. Can build this one up without having to worry about wiring it for LEDs, or having to make the blades translucent. This would make for a pretty straight-forward build, imho.

Dragon 1 said:
Grrrrrrr beaten to the punch :poh well ill continue on & 3D it so it could be peped for those that dont have the resources to build it from wood. Nice work to juliet76, as always your schematic looks top notch. Oh by the way what would the thickness of the blade & handles be?

Cheers

Well, like I said, I still appreciate your efforts. So, thanks for that.

I think it'd be kewl if you could derive a 3D Pep file from the simple schematic I drew up. Gives more options to members if they can't or don't want to make it from wood.

As for the thickness of the blade and handles, to be honest I hadn't really given any thought to that, lol. I was more interested in getting the outline of it right.

Off-hand, I'd guess-timate the blades to be about 2.5" to 3" thick (widest just in front of the handles, and gradually tapering down to a point), with the handles measuring 1.5" thick. Feel free to play around with those numbers a bit.

EDIT: Please disregard the blade thickness indicated above. I was thinking in terms of the Plasma Sword, not a typical metal-bladed sword. On a sword of this type, the thickness would remain constant all throughout the length of the blades. As such, 3" would be way too wide. I believe a uniform width of 5/8" to 3/4" would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's no worries drawing that I was bored so I thought hell why not gives me something to do, I'll go with your "guess-timations" & see how they look. I'll post the finished model here if that's ok by you seeing as this is your thread & i don't want to "steal" your thunder so to speak, but ill also post it in my 3D Models thread aswell.

Cheers

Wow o_O

Passed thru and thought what I can 3ddraw around your sketch :)

And it turned out so:

(press to enlarge)

4427196364_9f01afa53e.jpg

4426433433_1dd3f23bf4.jpg

THERE you can find OBJ file of this

Wow, great model bevbor!! Very smooth. Between your model, and the blueprints, I'm excited to see someone do this.

Wow... I had no idea this one piece would generate this much interest, or the need for others to computerize my schematic. Way kewl, lol :D

Bevbor, fantastic work on that model, buddy! Seeing it fleshed out in 3D, it looks just as I remember it in "The Duel". I like the shine you put on it; makes the bevelled edges of the blades really stand out. Just out of curiosity, did you go with the same thickness all the way down the blades? And what thickness did you use?

Between what juliet76, Dragon and yourself have done with my simple drawing to take it to the next level, I think others will have more than enough to work with. Like mks81 said, with these models and blueprints, it would be great to see someone build this up.

SPARTAN II said:
Just out of curiosity, did you go with the same thickness all the way down the blades? And what thickness did you use?

0.385 in :) Dunno why :)

And yes, it is the same thickness on the whole model.

Beaten to the punch yet again, damn me & being new to 3D modeling :lol But thats a drool worthy 3D model bevbor as always ur models r simply amazing.

Cheers

This could very easily be laser cut from plate aluminium. Run a router around the edge to bevel it where needed and there you go.

I might see how much laser cutting something like that costs.

TERRA Operative said:
This could very easily be laser cut from plate aluminium. Run a router around the edge to bevel it where needed and there you go.

I might see how much laser cutting something like that costs.

Fretsaw and plywood would work too. For free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back