HALO ODST Diorama - New Mombasa

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awesome stuff. I have always wanted to make some cool dioramas. But I lack the skill set and the patience. Look forward to seeing more of this.
Thanks ! Starting this diorama I also lacked skills but gradually I progressed (I redo each furniture and other 3 times). With time and practice we can all do it ;)

Wow!! Love this! I am a huge fan of diorama building. Been wanting to do a Halo one myself. This is inspiring!
Thank you :) So start in the adventure !

Small update :

The tracing and the engraving of PVC sheets is complete !

9bXAqjg.jpg

OxxzBdk.jpg

The footbridge structure is finished too !

J0jmuUc.jpg

thzDdZm.jpg

The casing is cut, then engraved and then I have to assemble it.

8nWcoO1.jpg

IbjhVAV.jpg

RyIzaRx.jpg

WU8zWZr.jpg

nkiNkjo.jpg

WW2hwY8.jpg

The interior of the footbridge.
0KqG69j.jpg

This is the end of the foodbridge that will connect to the foodbridge of the other part of the diorama. To connect them correctly I drew this piece. The magnets will be used to "glue" the foodbridge together and the small wooden piece will serve to align them.
rsGRQFr.jpg

b5ZU1hs.jpg

mVRxKRo.jpg

It's finished !!
WoaLo4t.jpg

rkHmScG.jpg

Small update

I made the ceiling lights that will be used for the interior lighting of the building. Here are some photos :
mFZgfFY.jpg

gngW1hs.jpg

H6hSCVy.jpg

Then I made the LED panels.
9J1a8CJ.jpg

6QqQSaW.jpg

About the building, I still have to do the televisions and the various small details that require a power supply. Once all the electrical network set up I could assemble the building.

The footbridge made last time must pass over a road, so it needed a support pillar. I took a little time to make it but I succeeded.
CG1dK3A.jpg

o7EzurN.jpg

rVRQv6f.jpg

ZX2lQ7V.jpg

zyCXQjZ.jpg

PRCqyxe.jpg

leJgPWc.jpg

Finished !
3LVK2Xz.jpg

DlZstcP.jpg

6hlrGs2.jpg

Small precision : everything is made with PVC expanded 1mm or 2mm (of thickness). I also help myself with my CNC : light brown parts are MDF. These parts help me to have a solid internal structure and the right dimensions :)

Jaw dropping, every piece is spectacular! And you're only getting better!

That is some dam fine precision work there!!!!!! You did say that its 1:15 scale?

Absolutely amazing, every single update!

-Matt
Thank you :)

Jaw dropping, every piece is spectacular! And you're only getting better!
Thanks ! I try to do my best on each piece :)

That is some dam fine precision work there!!!!!! You did say that its 1:15 scale?
I like details :D Yes it's a 1:15 scale !

An essential object in the second part of the diorama : the holographic table ! Here is a small overview of its making :

The structure is drawn on AutoCAD and cut with my CNC.
v0N6uwV.jpg

Then I start gluing the PVC parts (cut by hand).
R6UGNuy.jpg

se1PL76.jpg

nBtfayl.jpg

g8EMNEt.jpg

The location of future keyboards.
UiD4USW.jpg

Then I use body filler to fill the gaps.
mPa4TX9.jpg

For the hologram I intend to use transparent resin so I need lighting above. So I made a LED panel.
uGpUdJi.jpg

J3rizOg.jpg

DA9yLpj.jpg

The LED panel supports.
0a3tkXi.jpg

For the keyboards I drew them on computer then I printed them on a transparent sheet. I cut them and then glued them on transparent plastic so that it was more rigid.
PEzCyK2.jpg

iGSJ4lY.jpg

The backlight will be made with this :
WsWPzkQ.jpg

And here's the result !
XTHsR9h.jpg

Ot76Gaa.jpg

Last edited:
That is a lot of little lights in a little box! It's either gonna blind somebody or be one evenly lit holographic table. I never thought I could freak out over a miniaturely printed keyboard, but boy did I.

*Edit: do you have a bigger version of this map so I can read the text? This site supports pretty big files, you should be able to upload it here directly. The one from imgur is too small
xu3YcjQ.jpg

Last edited:
I know i`m late to the party here, but props to you nontheless.
Don`t know how i have missed this thread until now....
Good Eye for detail and interesting use of machinery.
I somewhat have developed a fetish for this kind of crafting:D
Reminds me of this infamous Halo 3 trailer where everything was set up as a diorama too. As part of an exhibit in a museum (post covenant war).
Don´t remember the Name anymore....

You should totally do changeable backgrounds with different lighting to simulate any daytime you want!

looking nice! do you have any pictures of all your pieces on the diorama yet?
All pieces of the 2nd part ? I can make one ;)

That is a lot of little lights in a little box! It's either gonna blind somebody or be one evenly lit holographic table. I never thought I could freak out over a miniaturely printed keyboard, but boy did I.

*Edit: do you have a bigger version of this map so I can read the text? This site supports pretty big files, you should be able to upload it here directly. The one from imgur is too small
View attachment 253983
I hope there will be enough to have a good rendering with the hologram ! I am rather satisfied with keyboards! Lit I think they are great :D

Of course, I have upload a big one ;)
Plan anglais.jpg

I know i`m late to the party here, but props to you nontheless.
Don`t know how i have missed this thread until now....
Good Eye for detail and interesting use of machinery.
I somewhat have developed a fetish for this kind of crafting:D
Reminds me of this infamous Halo 3 trailer where everything was set up as a diorama too. As part of an exhibit in a museum (post covenant war).
Don´t remember the Name anymore....

You should totally do changeable backgrounds with different lighting to simulate any daytime you want!
Thank you ! It's the Halo 3 Believe diorama that made me want to do mine.

Yes ReClaimer8015 ! The Halo 3 believe trailer. So good. I hope Timuche plans to do a little film like that.

It's planned ! I think the video is beautiful so I want to do the same thing. I will also make me a motorized travelling rail to make some pretty shots ;)

This thread never fails to impress me. I can't wait to see where this goes!
Me too :D
Thank you !

Absolutely unbelievable work on the detail of the table!

-Matt
Many thanks MATT !!!

It's time to update !

A bench : for the holographic room. Easy : everything is noted in my notebook, it does not take long to make one.
9ElY7p3.jpg

It remains to glue it all.
0k1FotT.jpg

cyUC79e.jpg

cQSHC0A.jpg

The polystyrene part (light yellow) will be covered with blue fabric.
xewucVz.jpg

A little table, for the holographic room again.
GchoUHW.jpg

z9SoS2p.jpg

kmkxZfW.jpg

The result !
4DL2Jv1.jpg

xIm44Pq.jpg

Two chairs for the ground floor room.
cefTQT2.jpg

7QkdUWr.jpg

dM2Jflt.jpg

Two televisions.
c7f7PJL.jpg

The screen with Admiral HOOD will be in the holographic room. The other will be in the hallway of the ground floor.
NUEkHTj.jpg

The space will be filled with body filler.
f6bHIHW.jpg

psDJXzt.jpg

I'll post more photos tomorrow or after tomorrow, I have other pieces to show you :) but for now it's time for me to go to sleep a bit before going to work.

With a little delay (I had to make 2 orders) I post new photos :

I want to make this "counter":
BR2PctL.png

So I start by drawing it.
T8tSsl0.jpg

I draw the internal structure on AutoCAD and I cut it in MDF with my CNC.
BEi2Fyj.jpg

Then I start the cuts in the PVC.
pbm9Uf9.jpg

For screens I always use the same technique : a print on a transparent sheet that I stick on a hard and transparent plastic sheet. Then I stick a sheet of paper : to diffuse the light.
4MdLhsC.jpg

mXIHDW9.jpg

AZDO2wk.jpg

The drawing of the desks behind the counter.
hRfu2yn.jpg

tM0y1OJ.jpg

pzEvyH6.jpg

Then I install the LEDs for the lighting of the screens.
YANPxRS.jpg

And that's the finished counter !
DsXxYHJ.jpg

gFCt39i.jpg

With lighting !
GPQLv2L.jpg

qs5QDMk.jpg

I'll post more photos soon, I promise :)

Another update !

This time, I make the internal doors of the building. As always I start by drawing them and then I start the cuts.

The model.
ty8VwAu.png

The drawing and the first cuts.
5kFDPAo.jpg

For lights I always use the same technique of printing on a transparent sheet.
VPB3EmW.jpg

GprLHlK.jpg

Just one CMS LED is enough.
xgFA36B.jpg

To test the visual rendering.
x7TYu90.jpg

VAkVUYe.jpg

QvMSDsM.jpg

spHXhvP.jpg

The final result !
B3Xcf1x.jpg

7ph8OXw.jpg

About the holographic table, I decided that the hologram will represent my diorama in miniature. So I made the buildings in reduced size. Then I will make a mold of each element to make a transparent resin cast.
e1jynv9.jpg

hlCEDjp.jpg

And finally, on the roof there will be a tray with vegetation in it, so I have to make it. I start by drawing the internal structure on AutoCAD.
Yellow : the piece that will be cut in the MDF.
Green : notches for assembly
Red : simulates expanded PCV sheets.
8BNbVQG.png

To be cut out by the CNC.
4Onrh6f.png

2JhuDYO.jpg

And we begin the assembly and the gluing.
52kBebx.jpg

O7d18LH.jpg

NVflrSo.jpg

Finished !
EOeqtR2.jpg

I am making the last elements of the scenary, which means that the painting is not very far !!! ;)

Are you kidding me?! That is crazy! The idea of the holographic table projecting a miniature version of the diorama is brilliant! I can't wait to see the next update.

-Matt

I really love the thought of someone making New Mombasa as a Diorama, are you using Megabloks minifigures or are you using larger scaled items for the characters?

Are you kidding me?! That is crazy! The idea of the holographic table projecting a miniature version of the diorama is brilliant! I can't wait to see the next update.

-Matt
Thank you MATT ! :) I can't wait to make the mold and finish it to see how it look like.

I really love the thought of someone making New Mombasa as a Diorama, are you using Megabloks minifigures or are you using larger scaled items for the characters?
It's the McFarlane scale so 1:15 :)

This time it's just a little update.

Encore un autre élément pour le décor !

mHFa1x0.jpg

1q1Om4t.jpg

a3I2RGH.jpg

IwQOBc1.jpg

3g3DInh.jpg

IyRINFa.jpg

sUmtmlZ.jpg

Finished !!
z2p84Td.jpg

u3WkxES.jpg

Tomorrow I will do another update with more photos and a video ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back