Halo Reach costumes for my three boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheron

Hey everyone,

I just want to say to all on here that I'm a huge fan of the site and all your work and advice. Although I've not posted much I've read an absolute ton of whhat you've all contributed.

Here's the result of my work.

8tyAU9Fk

7mUKQFlx

MS136eeQ

YUtFB1T6

Notes: The Jorge costume is bondo'd the other two are only pep'd, glued, and then resin'd just for costume effect. Where the bondo'd Jorge version took 3 months to do, the Noble 6 and Red Carter took one month and most of that time was just getting the Pepakura cut and assembled. It took a solid week (several hours a day) to get the resin, painting details, and strapping done.

Other shortcuts: you'll notice Noble 6 has weird shoulder and arm pads. The shoulder pads are actually cheap $4 knee pads I got from Walmart painted in metalic paint with styling from painters tape. The forearms are shin guards I found on clearance for like $4 as well, painted metalic too.

Lessons Learned: Just resining without the bondo is probably way too much work for the result unless you oversize the gear by a good bit. As you can see the gear fits snuggly on each boy (except Jorge where I got the scale wrong. It was my first attempt). Also, webbing + hot glued velcro = magic easy wonder strapping! I was able to toss on the strapping for these in a single day, and the velcro allowed a decent margin of error.

For costumes they only wear briefly and that tear easily (and can be just as easily be fixed with some hot glue love) they turned out great. My littlest guy wears his set quite frequently and he loves it.

Enjoy and happy crafting, all!

Upcoming projects for me over the next year are Mass Effect 3 Shepard N7 Shepard armor, Issac Engineering Dead Space armor, and/or possibly a Halo 4 costume for myself, fully pimped out.

All the best,
Acheron

Thanks, sandy!

I already had 3/4 of the two armor sets pep'd up otherwise I would have gone the foam route and had a more rugged set for the kids.

Your armor looks amazing! Really great job with the foam.

I can't wait to dive back in :)

Cheers,
Acheron

I like your costumes and they came out great! I guess you bested me in terms of quantity. I made costumes for my 2 boys and you are making 3. I think it is ingenious of you to use the knee pads.

I was very traditional in pepping and resin and I found out it takes too much time and effort. It took me 8 months to complete the ODSTs. Thanks to Sandy, I decided to go foam route. In less than 10 hours I have 2 HD thighs and 1 hand plate ready.

dang that looks great man =D seems like you did it very fast adn considering how fast you did that, the costumes turned out great =D great job man

Amen to foam, CoolC. I so wish I'd explored it more last year. I have a Harbor Freight just down the road too, so I'm excited. I just need to decide which project to go forward with...

Road Kill - thanks again bud! Your weapons are coming along nicely I see. Rock on

~ Acheron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back