1st Build Cat's Halo Reach Build

Catsbegaming24

Hello! As stated in the title I am beginning my Halo reach custom build. After months of waiting and waiting, I have finally done the most minuscule amount of work to be able to post a thread. The build will mainly be made with an Ender3 Pro 3d printer with a couple of pieces and missing details in foam which I will talk about more when we get there. I also hope to add ( if permitting ) LEDs.

*My plan is to get it finished before Galaxycon 2024 and possibly some earlier ones if I get it finished on time.

This is the build I'm planning on making ( image ) The only missing details are the HUL, CNM, and UA attachments on the helmet.

The only physical work I have to show so far is a too small forearm piece.

Here is unfortunately where I have reached a standstill. I have remeasured that piece in both Cura and Armorsmith and my own arm multiple times to try to get it the right size and it has not worked out. I was wondering if some of yall have some tips, tricks, or ideas on how to fix this problem.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Vanity_638026801631547264.png
    Vanity_638026801631547264.png
    816.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hello! As stated in the title I am beginning my Halo reach custom build. After months of waiting and waiting, I have finally done the most minuscule amount of work to be able to post a thread. The build will mainly be made with an Ender3 Pro 3d printer with a couple of pieces and missing details in foam which I will talk about more when we get there.

This is the build I'm planning on making ( image ) The only missing details are the HUL, CNM, and UA attachments on the helmet.
View attachment 328181

The only physical work I have to show so far is this ( Ft. My cat )
View attachment 328174

If you're thinking to yourself "Hey...That looks small" It was ( yes I was stupid enough to put it on ) And better yet some of the plastic supports were still in there so that was fun to take on and off.

Here is unfortunately where I have reached a standstill. I have remeasured that piece in both Cura and Armorsmith and my own arm multiple times to try to get it the right size and it has not worked out. I was wondering if some of yall have some tips, tricks, or ideas on how to fix this problem.

Thank you!
I had and have the same issue with my gauntlet, mine was 2 pieces the actual forearm and the attachment so I cut a rectangle in the forearm and have it removable with magnets. Its a little janky but it works. My plan is to reprint it in 2 parts so the lines r straighter but that was my plan for getting it on and off.

I had and have the same issue with my gauntlet, mine was 2 pieces the actual forearm and the attachment so I cut a rectangle in the forearm and have it removable with magnets. Its a little janky but it works. My plan is to reprint it in 2 parts so the lines r straighter but that was my plan for getting it on and off.
Ill is sure to try that out. What magnets did you use?

Hello! As stated in the title I am beginning my Halo reach custom build. After months of waiting and waiting, I have finally done the most minuscule amount of work to be able to post a thread. The build will mainly be made with an Ender3 Pro 3d printer with a couple of pieces and missing details in foam which I will talk about more when we get there. I also hope to add ( if permitting ) LEDs.

View attachment 328181
The only physical work I have to show so far is this ( Ft. My cat )
View attachment 328174

If you're thinking to yourself "Hey...That looks small" It was ( yes I was stupid enough to put it on ) And better yet some of the plastic supports were still in there so that was fun to take on and off.

Thank you!
First of all, WOO GRENADIER!!! LOVE TO SEE IT!!! Haha now for the forearms, I recommend making thin slices of just the holes at the ends of the forearms after scaling them again and printing those out as tests. These are usually referred to as scaling rings. That way you can see if your arm fits through without printing out an entire forearm and wasting material. You can split models pretty easily either in meshmixer or Microsoft 3D Builder. Personally I've moved more towards 3D Builder but both are free software.

Here's an example of scaling rings I did for the bicep since I'm not sure if I explained that well and you can't go wrong with pictures lol
20201208_234854.jpg

First of all, WOO GRENADIER!!! LOVE TO SEE IT!!! Haha now for the forearms, I recommend making thin slices of just the holes at the ends of the forearms after scaling them again and printing those out as tests. These are usually referred to as scaling rings. That way you can see if your arm fits through without printing out an entire forearm and wasting material. You can split models pretty easily either in meshmixer or Microsoft 3D Builder. Personally I've moved more towards 3D Builder but both are free software.

Here's an example of scaling rings I did for the bicep since I'm not sure if I explained that well and you can't go wrong with pictures lol
View attachment 328197
Ah thank you! I've seen your build thread and that suit is amazing! I knew the existence of scale rings existed but my brain was on speed mode for some reason. Definitely should have done them but atleast I have a test piece now I guess. What would using Microsoft 3d Builder be like? Is it more on the Blender or Meshmixer side of things? Also thank you for the example!

Ah thank you! I've seen your build thread and that suit is amazing! I knew the existence of scale rings existed but my brain was on speed mode for some reason. Definitely should have done them but atleast I have a test piece now I guess. What would using Microsoft 3d Builder be like? Is it more on the Blender or Meshmixer side of things? Also thank you for the example!
Thank you! 3D Builder is more a tool for editing models than making them from scratch. So if you need to split/cut a model, combine models, or repair surfaces on a model, 3D Builder can do that.

Hello! Long time no post but that ends right now. Anyway, after a probably longer-than-needed break, I got back to the grind at around mid-June ready to print the breacher forearm. I printed the first part of the resized before a power failure, and great all good, I proceeded to get the next part in a file, and whoop de do it looked a lot less than Ideal and I decided to "take a quick week to calibrate everything, make sure the prints are secure"

2 months later, after around 30 benchy's and test towers done I have finally beaten nearly solid stringing, layer shifts, unexplained random under extrusion, warping, and tests not adding up to finally finish the last piece of the forearm ( missed a noticeable 4mm of it so now there are 4 parts )
and ready to get back to it. The print is not connected yet but I'll post more soon hopefully.

2 months later, after around 30 benchy's and test towers done I have finally beaten nearly solid stringing, layer shifts, unexplained random under extrusion, warping, and tests not adding up to finally finish the last piece of the forearm ( missed a noticeable 4mm of it so now there are 4 parts )
WOW what a rollercoaster of printing issues. Hope the worst of it is behind you! Glad you've finally got some pieces!

Hello! Long time no chat but this time I bring good news! After quite a bit of struggle, I determined that the primary errors on my printer were due to a faulty power surge protector that had broken I assume between 1-3 months after I got my printer. Quite embarrassing but you live and you learn after all those months. The secondary issue which was primarily me messing with Cura settings to fix the errors caused by the power surge protector. I ended up switching from Cura to BambuLabs and would not complain. However, I would recommend anyone to try out both Cura and BambuLabs to see what fits their preference.

That being said even after the stress and anger I would still go through that annoyance based on the fact that I learned so much during those months about the printer, this project, and different things here and there that I should know that only would have come from me wasting time, filament, and my determination else wise which especially shows in my first breacher forearm which was.... interesting. Since the last post the forearm ended up not meeting my standards and were generally just bad prints. I have acquired wonderful WandererTJ Reach files which I would recommend to anyone looking for files like those. I have also managed since fixing and testing my printer to print all the armored boot parts for both the left and right ( Back and top piece not shown yet ) as well as the left shin guard. The boot went fine but the shin got a little funky as you'll see.

The middle print ( which is facing towards the bottom ) happened to fail. I then measured it slightly off which caused a few layers to be duplicated. I hope that enough sanding will be able to fix it, but I also know by the end even if I don't fully succeed I feel like I'll be the only one to see the remainder. The scaling was a little in question for the shin because in Blender ( which has been a huge help ) The shin and boot collide which obviously couldn't happen in real life, so I tried to adjust to the best of my ability. With the final print If anything I think the shin could be taller but going back to mobility it might be a problem the more armor I print. When I'm actually close to done I might raise the shin up a little higher.

20240331_160452 (1).png
Screenshot 2024-03-06 225318.png

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for being patient with me as it's been over a year with nothing to show for it. I'm very excited to actually start this project and give my dreams some reality, Thank you. - Cats.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back