Halo Reach Elite Sculpt (Well Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
th_249318_480570115299267_1739498177_n.jpg

I salute you on on your "Epic Work of Art"
I can't wait to see how it looks with teeth and paint. :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to apologize in advance in the case that "it" has already been named, but honestly my mind just thought of it so I have to bow down to my intelectual side... (Sorry Guys :))
So, when I looked at your completely awesome recast I thought it looked friendly so - the first name that came to my mind was "Sam." Please don't ask me why, because I don't know...

Great Job BlueFreeze!!!
Zack, two things...First off, this is not a recast. It is a cast of the original mold. Recasting is a completely different story, not to mention a big no-no. Secondly, This is not an elite sculpt named Sam, it's a deranged mutant ninja turtle, lol!!!

Tony my friend, this is truly epic work. I'm so glad to see this project back up and running again! :D

Thank you all so much, I can't wait to make the teeth so I can get this bad boy painted. I still need to finish a proper helmet for it. Anyways, I've had a few peeps ask how/what did I use for the jacket. Well, ask no more.

I really didn’t know how to do it as I’ve never used the stuff as a shell/jacket before. However, my friend Hyperbalistik has and he basically walked me through using it. With that said, here is a mini tut on using it. With Pics :)

Using “Smooth-On Free Form Epoxy Dough” as a shell/jacket support.

Mix equal parts of Part A & Part B

F53066C9-CEAC-4566-BE61-F315CFFCD45F-3577-0000036DF0EA2470.jpg

Place on plastic wrap (there’s tin foil on top of my stove so I don’t make a mess. I assure you that there is plastic wrap in this picture)

FF7756F3-1433-4A36-9B8C-92BA636336F9-3577-0000036DEA3F67BC.jpg

Then use a dowel or a roller to roll it out. (lightly dampening the roller or dowel with water helps the dough not stick to it). As you can see, I used two square 3/8" dowels to regulate the thickness.

82DD94E7-1F38-4A87-9E84-B9A33FFF959C-3577-0000036DE4B900ED.jpg

Once flatten, use a damp knife to slice into squares.

046947A7-7C26-43F8-B176-512E5B104B6A-3577-0000036DDE8C06B4.jpg

Slap squares on silicone. Use damp fingers to shape…Dun!

AA9E515B-49CB-4FA0-9229-8E680B40A077-3577-0000036DD7826CB9.jpg

I hope this helps! And thanks again for the nice comments :)

Tony

I can’t believe I’ve missed this thread. This is more than awesome....Its major freaking talent! Great job, bravo, just like the rest I can’t wait for paint and teeth. Hmmm me thinks your Jedi skills need to make a hunter next

First off (to repeat what everyone - myself included - has already said), AMAZINGLY EPIC work!! This is one of the best projects, like ever. But, please, I have questions!!

Using “Smooth-On Free Form Epoxy Dough” as a shell/jacket support.

Wow!! You used that stuff for the shell exclusively!?!? You didn't reinforce it with anything? How does it compare with more traditional shell materials like fiberglass or Plasti-Paste (which appears to be comparable in price)? It looks super easy to use, and appears to be very easy to control, even if the cure time is a bit long. How is it as far as strength goes? I used Magic Sculpt epoxy putty just to try to fill in gaps in a shell once, but it was super brittle, and couldn't withstand the de-molding process. Does it conform to the detail of the silicone pretty well, or are there a lot of pockets underneath? What are those dark gray things sticking up out of it, and what are they for? What's the first cast made of? (If it's not foam, might I suggest foam to keep weight down.) Are you using a plug to make it hollow, or just slush casting? Or, even weirder, is it a solid cast?

Again, fantastic work! Love this thread, and always look forward to seeing more.

Great work you've got going on here!!
It looks incredible, really interested in the helmet too!

Thank you sir! I’m still trying to nail that down. I keep tossing around a few ideas and I can’t make my mind up.

Tony, This piece is completely amazing, and thats going to look great on my wall :)

Lol, thank you Mad Dog McCrea…lol.

Awesome just awesome. And to know this is going on in my own backyard blows my mind.

Thank you sir! Where abouts are you. It would be cool to meet others locally as I’m more or less a lone builder here.

I can’t believe I’ve missed this thread. This is more than awesome....Its major freaking talent! Great job, bravo, just like the rest I can’t wait for paint and teeth. Hmmm me thinks your Jedi skills need to make a hunter next

Thanks my man. I would love to do hunter, but one of my other favs is the Skirmisher. Well, I guess we’ll see once I complete the elite.

First off (to repeat what everyone - myself included - has already said), AMAZINGLY EPIC work!! This is one of the best projects, like ever. But, please, I have questions!!

Wow!! You used that stuff for the shell exclusively!?!? You didn't reinforce it with anything? How does it compare with more traditional shell materials like fiberglass or Plasti-Paste (which appears to be comparable in price)? It looks super easy to use, and appears to be very easy to control, even if the cure time is a bit long. How is it as far as strength goes? I used Magic Sculpt epoxy putty just to try to fill in gaps in a shell once, but it was super brittle, and couldn't withstand the de-molding process. Does it conform to the detail of the silicone pretty well, or are there a lot of pockets underneath? What are those dark gray things sticking up out of it, and what are they for? What's the first cast made of? (If it's not foam, might I suggest foam to keep weight down.) Are you using a plug to make it hollow, or just slush casting? Or, even weirder, is it a solid cast?

Again, fantastic work! Love this thread, and always look forward to seeing more.

Thank you Shado, means a lot coming from the dude who sculpted an incredible Samus helm and shoulder bells. I must figure out your skills on symmetry.

Now, to answer your questions.

The shell was exclusively Smooth-on free form epoxy dough. It’s extremely light and very durable. It conforms to the silicone perfectly (this was one of my concerns too) however, it quickly went away once I started applying it.

The grayish looking pieces sticking out is just a piece of clay. I make these to create a pry point that way its easier to get the jacket pieces apart. Something I found on the RPF.

I’ve made 2 castings of the elite to date and both have been rotocasted with smooth-on 320 urethane plastic resin and yes, they are definitely hollow. Also, I intend to create some flex foam-it castings here in the near future.

Thanks again, for following this!

Be good my 405th peeps!

Tony

I'm so going to try the free form epoxy in the future! Great work Tony, You never fail to impress!

I'm so going to try the free form epoxy in the future! Great work Tony, You never fail to impress!

YOu should, its awesome stuff! Thanks for the great comment my man!

Updater

Well, I got it to pre-paint. Hopefully my next update will be a successful paint job.

CEAA0500-324D-4827-BF2E-05FD43ABDDB7-2187-0000025C9FA056C3.jpg

620FADBA-AC6B-4F37-83BB-D125637C8E0E-2187-0000025CA6193A04.jpg

I’ll be using the below painting tools to paint this beast.

C50A228B-8D5E-4DAC-80F6-8307C3D307B7-2187-0000025CABD8F3B6.jpg

Thanks again for viewing!

-Tony

Awesome Tony, excellent tools have there, what kind of paint you will use acrylic, synthetic or other ...?

Tony, I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. This has been a very exciting project to watch, and now that it has come to this point, well....great work so far buddy. The paint should definitely put this on a completely different level. *Watching intently*

-Matt

As I said on the other page Epic work, I can't wait to see how this all comes out in paint.

Oh man, this is exciting stuff. Even unpainted it looks awesome, can't wait to see some colour!

Thank you sir! Glad you're still watching this :)

This is going to rock.

I hope so and thank you my good man!

Awesome Tony, excellent tools have there, what kind of paint you will use acrylic, synthetic or other ...?

I will be using the Acrylic, thinned with water. Turns out, I only needed the airbrush.

Holy Grunt that looks beastly with the teeth in it!!! Excellent job mate!

Thank you Sir! Hopefully some color will make it look more acceptable.

Tony, I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. This has been a very exciting project to watch, and now that it has come to this point, well....great work so far buddy. The paint should definitely put this on a completely different level. *Watching intently*

-Matt

Thank you Matt! I hope I can tie it all in. Keeping my fingers crossed on the paintwork. I’ve only used an airbrush once before on something simple.

As I said on the other page Epic work, I can't wait to see how this all comes out in paint.

Thank you Thorn! Much appreciated.

Welll, here is a quick update and sneak peek of the paint job. I still have a lot of work left and this is currently the base colors only. I still need to figure out how to do the eyes, but I wanted to let everyone see where it is currently headed. Enjoy!

455C679F-3D76-40B8-9832-DE7B7FE27082-6999-0000079AC7D23274.jpg

EAE512DE-A3D7-4787-9DE4-690AC5F905D3-6999-0000079ACDE67E8A.jpg

7FD5307B-92FF-4CB6-98AE-B96D15029C7E-6999-0000079ABED7AAF5.jpg

Well, I hope you all like this last update and Hopefully the next one can be a finished piece.
-Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back