Halo Reach Mark V EVA/Emile build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonOfTheGun

I am just starting in on my first build ever, and I decided to start off strong by building Emile's armor from Reach. I have posted a few questions in different threads, but i figured I would keep everything simple and confine my scatterbrain to just one thread and post my progress and my questions all in the same place.

I am building everything but the helmet out of eva foam and I am 3d printing the helmet out of Hatchbox's wood PLA filament.
I know the wood filament is somewhat fragile, but I chose to use it because it can be easily sanded and i plan to reinforce the helmet on the inside with fiberglass.
I am completely new to working with EVA foam, and as a perfectionist I both love and hate it lol

I will keep posted as I progress through the build!

I have hit the ground running (well as much as i can with school) and have 1/5th of the helmet printed along with most of one of the forearms finished in foam. I plan to finish up the forearm today and get started on the next one later this week.
mark V forearm 1.jpg
mark V forearm 2.jpg
EVA mandable 1.jpg

After 2 days I finally finished the first forearm. I feel like im starting to get the hang of working with foam, but I also feel just as lost as before just in different ways lol.

let me know how you guys think I can improve moving forward.
20210323_203842.jpg

20210323_203903.jpg

Well done! You did good with seam control, looks like you're using contact cement?
I'd consider going over some of the sharp edges with a rotary tool, just very lightly, as a slightly rounded edge usually looks more realistic. After that, your next step would be a common one, which is to use gap filler (like caulking silicone, Kwik seal or some sort of flexible spackle) to fill in any unwanted seam lines.

Well done! You did good with seam control, looks like you're using contact cement?
I'd consider going over some of the sharp edges with a rotary tool, just very lightly, as a slightly rounded edge usually looks more realistic. After that, your next step would be a common one, which is to use gap filler (like caulking silicone, Kwik seal or some sort of flexible spackle) to fill in any unwanted seam lines.
yes I am using contact cement, it was cheaper than buying a hot glue gun but i feel like im eventually going to need to invest in one.

ok should i just break the edges? or add like a decent bevel?

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking the edges, I just meant if you took your rotary tool and delicately sanded off the sharp edges to make them slightly more rounded, just so they aren't sharp, you'll find after painting that it captures the light a lot better. I'll try and get a photo a bit later in the day to show an example.

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking the edges, I just meant if you took your rotary tool and delicately sanded off the sharp edges to make them slightly more rounded, just so they aren't sharp, you'll find after painting that it captures the light a lot better. I'll try and get a photo a bit later in the day to show an example.
Oh ok thats what I meant by breaking the edge lol
Sorry for the confusion.

I've got the chest about 80 ish % done so far and I'm pretty happy with how its turning out.
I still have some filling in to do on the back and sides and some details on the front.

How yall suggest I pad the inside of the piece out?
I want a pretty snug fut to myself and I was thinking of gluing soft spongy foam to the inside to clamp the whole thing to myself.

20210330_140155.jpg
20210330_140212.jpg

My line work on the back got a little sloppy because going from paper to foam with those weird geometries is...well weird lol
Nothing a little bondo and sanding won't fix.

Also while trying this on, the scale looks correct, but there are large gaps in the front and back that seem a bit too big. Does this look right and I just need to add a bit of padding and fill in stuff? (Sorry for the horrible picture)
20210330_140820.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing a little bondo and sanding won't fix.
Bondo + Foam is going to be a sad time. Save that effort and don't mix a flexible base with a rigid filler that will pop out when the foam bends. Try Foam Clay and Foam Putty instead.

would something like DAP caulking work?
Foam clay is usually better for large gaps in between seams, and you can also use it for smaller gaps. You can, however, use some sort of slicone caulking to fill small gaps, which is something I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back