Halo Reach Source Assets [Release Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingSpartan7

-------
INTRO
-------
Welcome to Reach, or more specifically, welcome back to Reach.
After many years of waiting, we've managed to reclaim the planet, and in doing so, have uncovered a lot of technology lost there when Reach fell.
Now, it's been restored back close to working order and is in your hands. Take care of it, and try not to break it all at once.

-------
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
-------
I'm going to keep it simple here.
-Be polite. That goes without saying.
-Do not make demands for specific models. The people working on this could probably be doing other things, but instead are choosing contributing their time here.
-The above said, members who are contributing to the effort may release whatever files they which, whenever they are ready. Pestering them will not make it happen faster.
-Mods can edit and delete posts. Don't give them reason to need to.
-Mods have permission to edit the OP/RESERVED posts if necessary for any reason. This includes FILE updates and changes to the RULES OF ENGAGEMENT.

-------
DECRYPTED LEGALESE
-------
-You can't make a profit from these files.
-You can't claim them as your own.
-There are other things, but it should all be common-sense.

-------
NOTES REGARDING THE PREVIOUS THREAD
-------
We are not here to discuss any misgivings or personal issues carried over from the last thread. In fact, I would prefer no mention of it whatsoever - likely, as would others.
Links to files posted by me have been taken down.
I am willing to forgive and forget the actions of unnamed members if they wish to contribute here - providing they comply with the RULES OF ENGAGEMENT.

We are making a fresh start with a clean slate.

-------
FILES
-------
-----
SOURCE
-----
RELEASE >> Elites (Skin/Base/SpecOps/Ultra)
RELEASE >> Elites (Minor/Officer/Ranger/Zealot/General)
RELEASE >> UNSC Trooper (Trooper/Military Police/ODST)
RELEASE >> UNSC / Covenant Fleet (UNSC: PoA/Grafton/Savannah. Covenant: Corvette/Cruiser/Supercarrier; LNoS)
RELEASE >> UNSC Weapons +projectiles (where applicable)
RELEASE >> Covenant Weapons
RELASE >> Spartan (Thigh/Gauntlet attatchments)

>>This section will be updated as files are released.

-----
UNFOLDED
-----
>>This section will be updated as files are unfolded.

Elites - Part 1

-------
RELEASE >> /FILES/SOURCE
-------
Note: None of these files are unfolded yet.
Included within each .zip
+Relevant geometry (.obj)
+Material/texture data (.mtl)
+Texture images (.jpg)
+Left and Right side geometry (where applicable)

Halo Reach: Elite body/undersuit
enano.jpg

Incl. Undersuit (sectioned), head, hands.
>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - base permutation armour
ebase.jpg

Incl. Torso back, belt, handplate/gauntlet base, belt, thigh base.
>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - Spec Ops armour
especr.jpg

Incl. Helmet, shoulders, torso, gauntlet, thigh.
>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - Ultra armour
whyyesthatwouldlooknice.jpg

>>DOWNLOAD<<

At this point I will not take requests. I will release whichever files I think are ready. I work at my own pace.

Elites - Part 2

-------
RELEASE >> /FILES/SOURCE
-------
+Texture images (.jpg)

Halo Reach: Elite - Minor armour
eminor.jpg

>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - Officer armour
eofficer.jpg

>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - Ranger armour
eranger.jpg

>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - Zealot armour
ezealfm.jpg

Incl. Helmet, Field Marshall eyebrows, shoulders, torso, gauntlet, thigh.
>>DOWNLOAD<<

Halo Reach: Elite - General armour
egen.jpg

>>DOWNLOAD<<

That is all for this batch. Looking at the marine/trooper/ODST for the next one. Following that will likely be equipment - ie. armour ability module and jetpack variants.

At this point I will not take requests. I will release whichever files I think are ready.
I work at my own pace.

Very nice start, I like the format.

I was hoping to have some helmets all cleaned up to post today but it's taking a bit longer than I hoped to clean up the geometry... I'll probably have a sick day tomorrow, home with the flu, so maybe I can take care of them then. Also the forearm attachments and knees should be ready to go.

I'm going to sticky this thread and drop that other sad old 'official reach files thread' from the top.
I'll put the link here for posterity:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread

Very nice indeed. Sooo are these okay to edit and pep out? Also, are these files able to be uploaded into google sketchup and edited?

-Seth

Very nice indeed. Sooo are these okay to edit and pep out? Also, are these files able to be uploaded into google sketchup and edited?

-Seth

I can't speak for MissingSpartan or anyone else who might release anything, but personally I will have no problems with people using the models I post directly for pepakura.
Which is the way it's been on here since Jedifraz(?) posted the Halo 2 rips, since Slyfo and Robogenisis released Halo 3 beta rips, several people posted H3 ODST rips, and Jico posted Reach beta rips.

Unless of course MS's updated terms of usage for content expressly forbids this, and then everything I just said is wrong and these files will be for reference only... Right?

UNSC Trooper + Variants

-------
RELEASE >> /FILES/SOURCE
-------

+Texture images (.jpg)

Halo Reach: UNSC Trooper/Military Police/ODST
marineall.jpg

Incl. Base armour, helmet variations (+ attachments), shoulder variants, torso variants, shin/knee variants
>>DOWNLOAD<<

Next: Equipment and Spartan armour + variants. This will likely be a couple of releases.
Ladies might like this next one. You can finally have that robot arm.

-------
RESPONSES
-------
Very nice start, I like the format.

I was hoping to have some helmets all cleaned up to post today but it's taking a bit longer than I hoped to clean up the geometry... I'll probably have a sick day tomorrow, home with the flu, so maybe I can take care of them then. Also the forearm attachments and knees should be ready to go.

I'm going to sticky this thread and drop that other sad old 'official reach files thread' from the top.
I'll put the link here for posterity:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread
I try to use a consistent formatting across my "major" threads. It keeps it clean and orderly.
Put the files up when you're ready for it. I literally have nothing else to do at the moment, so I'm using this to keep me busy.
Sad to see the old thread bumped off finally - personally, I know that 405th's files are always more high detail than the source, and there is just as much, if not more, effort put into those as there are in these ones here.

-Seth
If you feel you can improve them with an edit - go for it. I know full well that the geometry isn't designed for pep, but I've done my best to clean it up a bit more.
Pep? Absolutely - why else do you think we are releasing these. (Although you could use these in animation, I'm holding off on re-rigging models.)
As for sketchup, you'll have to ask someone who uses it... I live in 3ds and occasionally Maya when I need to.

I can't speak for MissingSpartan or anyone else who might release anything, but personally I will have no problems with people using the models I post directly for pepakura.
Which is the way it's been on here since Jedifraz(?) posted the Halo 2 rips, since Slyfo and Robogenisis released Halo 3 beta rips, several people posted H3 ODST rips, and Jico posted Reach beta rips.

Unless of course MS's updated terms of usage for content expressly forbids this, and then everything I just said is wrong and these files will be for reference only... Right?
This is where it gets tricky.
"You can't reverse engineer our games to access the assets or otherwise do things that the games don't normally permit in order to create your Items."
Using them for personal reference - probably fine. Using them to create physical versions of digital geometry - I honestly don't know where that falls.
Take it or leave it - it's your own call.

As usual, I will not take requests at this point. I will release whichever files I think are ready.
I work at my own pace.

CJ

Just wanted to say thank you very much for these! I cant wait for more! And I dont give a crap about the original thread, nice work!

-Seth
SketchUp doesn't allow you to import obj files so you'll need a ruby plugin file (.rb) for sketchup or you'll need to do some file converting e.g.
.obj >> Blender >> .3ds >> SketchUp

Also SketchUp says it can export obj files but I wouldn't suggest it missing faces, flat geometry

SketchUp doesn't allow you to import obj files so you'll need a ruby plugin file (.rb) for sketchup or you'll need to do some file converting e.g.
.obj >> Blender >> .3ds >> SketchUp

Also SketchUp says it can export obj files but I wouldn't suggest it missing faces, flat geometry

Here is a link to the .rb file that I use to import OBJ files into sketchup (I believe you already have this Seth)...

http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2006/12/plugin-obj-importer.html

When it comes to exporting models from sketchup to be imported to pepakura, .DAE file type is best. Just make sure you pay attention to the orientation if you want height/width/depth to be oriented the way you want it in pepakura.

Here is a link to the .rb file that I use to import OBJ files into sketchup (I believe you already have this Seth)...

http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2006/12/plugin-obj-importer.html
I currently use that one too, but I did have a better one before I had to swap pc's. I do find this one to be a bit funny when it comes to importing, small files usually work but with larger ones it just causes system hang. Anyways Ill see if I can find that other importer.

I do find this one to be a bit funny when it comes to importing, small files usually work but with larger ones it just causes system hang. Anyways Ill see if I can find that other importer.

I've notice that too, I've learned to be patient when dealing with larger OBJs in sketchup. I used to have a better one as well, but, like you, when I recovered my computer after a crash, I couldn't find it anymore and went with this one. If you manage to find it again, please share where you found it.

I found the importer its Tig's Obj Importer V1.3 and can be downloaded here http://www.4shared.com/file/pZcMPedD/obj_importer.html?
It has an extra function (import with materials) and it actually tell's you how far through the file you are so you can tell when its crashed e.g.
Processing line 20,000 of 70,000 you know its crashed when the numbers stop going up
I also know some other tricks for getting noncompliant obj's to be processed successfully but I'll save those for another day.

Glad to see we're moving on with the Reach files. :)

I found the importer its Tig's Obj Importer V1.3 and can be downloaded here http://www.4shared.com/file/pZcMPedD/obj_importer.html?
I believe I have the same importer. It let's you import OBJ with textures, without materials and as mesh.
I was going for an unfold on an elite torso file, then I noticed the faces on the back inner-side were kinda useless and annoying when it comes to pep/harden this piece. So they had to be removed. It's pretty easy to do this in sketchup, but the problem is when I export from Sketchup and load it in Pepakura Designier I get nothing but open edges everywhere, therefore the file is useless. Does anyone know how to avoid this? I think it worked one time when choosing .dae as designated file-type.
Anyways, I was successful with 3DS, but I'd like to do it in sketchup.

There are tricks you can do in sketchup to avoid open edges in pepakura, but it can get pretty involved; not difficult once you figure it out, but involved. PM me if you're interested in learning some of these tricks. I don't want to go into it here in the thread.

There are tricks you can do in sketchup to avoid open edges in pepakura, but it can get pretty involved; not difficult once you figure it out, but involved. PM me if you're interested in learning some of these tricks. I don't want to go into it here in the thread.
Sounds like a lot of work. I guess just for this one task I'll be faster with 3DS, but thanks anyway.

At any rate, sketchup or not these files are awesome! Even the troopers are looking great and tempting enough to make!

I only asked if it was sketchup editable was if they were plain 3d models and hadn't been edited to fit right into pepakura designer without a million and one missing/distorted faces.

-Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back