Status
Not open for further replies.
20210906_194438.jpg
Lights will get some more attention down the road. Im gonna stick with the green while I decide what color to paint everything. I'd like to add some minor stripes and highlights similar to the Halo 5 variants. Maybe a dark blue or purple with white stripes and teal decals to pair with the armor? A few years ago I would have been able to do a preview in photoshop.

View attachment 309718
I said I was going to do this months ago and here it is! While it's a little finicky (the ejector rod can sometimes rotate and not catch the release lever, improved with some scrap but could have been prevented) I'm glad I decided to see this through. Maybe not as powerful as I thought it'd be but I'm happy with what two push pen springs and some rubber bands can do!
Dude you have done an amazing job!! I absolutely love it. Would you be posting stl files?

Dude you have done an amazing job!! I absolutely love it. Would you be posting stl files?
Thanks again!
If you are interested I can post the edit I did to the original. The carbine came from thingiverse ( I named the author months ago and will do so again once I'm at my computer). I would want to clean up the mechanism before I post as it's very rushed and I can easily make it more reliable.

Last edited:
The Carbine was found here Covenant Carbine [Halo 4] by misterchiefcostuming
Thank you misterchiefcostuming for the incredible model!
Below is a zip folder containing instructions with pictures, STLs and a DAE for anyone who wants it.
I apologize in advance for any geometry that is out of place ( I did unspeakable things to this model including adding space for the ejector, attempting to make the mag cover move/ open, and try and free the charging handles to be movable) and for any lack luster results with the ejection mechanism. If you attempt this make sure it works before gluing everything down!

Attachments

• misterchiefcostuming Carbine edit-slice by S225.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I'm going to have to start leaving a TLDR at the end of these random thought posts! There is a growing list of cosplay / prop ideas that I keep adding to. Among the list are and ODST (this post will be mostly for him), a Halo 3 deployable cover that deploys (or explodes due to internal forces), a game accurate folding M-8 Avenger from Mass Effect ( for anyone not familiar, the majority of the weapons form Mass Effect fold and collapse in on themselves when holstered or stored using space magic and clipping geometry). I've actually got a nice model separated into parts that don't clip and should in theory, collapse correctly once I figure out pivots, telescoping parts etc.

The most recent addition/s is for the carbine. If I ever get around to finishing my Spartan III, I'd like to tackle an ODST with custom kit. I've always enjoyed the little "UNSC Remarks" on the Halo wiki pages so I wanted to run with some of the remarks about the carbine being awkward and down right dangerous to handle. I'm talking butt stock padding, cheek rest, ammo loops, angled/ side mounted sights so the magazine doesn't give you a concussion, and an under barrel grenade launcher styled with covenant aesthetic! I'm thinking similar to a plasma launcher or plasma caster look.

TLDR: TacticCool ODST with hybrid attachments for a covenant carbine, Deployable cover go "Whoosh" and a M-8 "I should go" assault rifle that folds.

I'm going to have to start leaving a TLDR at the end of these random thought posts! There is a growing list of cosplay / prop ideas that I keep adding to. Among the list are and ODST (this post will be mostly for him), a Halo 3 deployable cover that deploys (or explodes due to internal forces), a game accurate folding M-8 Avenger from Mass Effect ( for anyone not familiar, the majority of the weapons form Mass Effect fold and collapse in on themselves when holstered or stored using space magic and clipping geometry). I've actually got a nice model separated into parts that don't clip and should in theory, collapse correctly once I figure out pivots, telescoping parts etc.

The most recent addition/s is for the carbine. If I ever get around to finishing my Spartan III, I'd like to tackle an ODST with custom kit. I've always enjoyed the little "UNSC Remarks" on the Halo wiki pages so I wanted to run with some of the remarks about the carbine being awkward and down right dangerous to handle. I'm talking butt stock padding, cheek rest, ammo loops, angled/ side mounted sights so the magazine doesn't give you a concussion, and an under barrel grenade launcher styled with covenant aesthetic! I'm thinking similar to a plasma launcher or plasma caster look.

TLDR: TacticCool ODST with hybrid attachments for a covenant carbine, Deployable cover go "Whoosh" and a M-8 "I should go" assault rifle that folds.
If you get that M8 figured out I would love to get my hands on the file...

If you get that M8 figured out I would love to get my hands on the file...
Its been a hot minute since I touched it, very much a WIP right now.

There is a lot of work left but I think its promising so far. Nothing in place for the moving parts, just a whole mess of hollow shells that seem to fit inside of each other.

Plasma grenade at .12mm layer height
20210913_155127.jpg

The top and bottom need a touch up before paint
20210913_155213.jpg20210913_155208.jpg

The bottom was definitely my fault, tree supports were on and they didn't cover enough area so the print was sloppy at the base. Top part has small gaps between the walls? Easy enough to fill in later.

I have another printing with normal supports and higher infill at the top to see if that solves the problems. I'll add magnets to the bottoms if they don't shape up too well that way I can stick them to my belt.

Last edited:
Small but exciting update:

I've actually stared the painting process for the armor! Just the knee pads today to serve as a test but they are sanded, bondoed and have the first coat of filler primer down. Depending on how they sand next I will add another coat or two, base coat of black, and finish of with a lovely teal primary coat. Scuffs will be added too with some silver paint and a brush. Has anyone tried a sort of stone wash with paint to add wear? That could be interesting to try

Natural vs. White light
20210919_121307.jpg
20210919_121743.jpg

I really like this lagoon rustolium color as it's very close to the in game teal.
20210919_122149.png
I opted to do a lighter gray for the details and will likely continue this for the other dark spots on the armor. Makes it look a little fresher I think.
Also, I will 100% be buying a mouse sander before finishing more parts. Its tricky getting sand paper into some of these nooks and I don't want to sand for hours on end by hand.

Google Sketchup has a subdivide extension!!
Screenshot (44).png
Blender is still a struggle for me so this find was fantastic. It seems a lot more forgiving then blenders subdivide but I could just be more in tune with sketchup. If I can't smooth our the old forearms (right) with a mouse sander, I will print nicer ones. The belt will get a similar treatment as i know it NEEDS to be bigger. Very excited to be able to edit models like this now!

Slightly off topic but I just heard the Infinite rendition of Warthog Run while sitting in the menus. I feel a good 14 years younger!
Tears were shed

I thought it'd be fun to switch my .4mm nozzle over to a .2mm so I could try printing a miniature.
The small nozzle clogged instantly, I tore up the end of the bowden tube that sits in the heat sink so now I can't get the lock that screws into the sink to actually go far enough to thread in AND I can't seem to get the extruder end of the tube out so I can flip the tube and reset everything!

I thought I was having a bad day at work! I guess it was about time to get some spare parts brought in.

20211010_232141.jpg
Tiny space wife and my old nozzle. This little guy has done everything up to this point. The threads are starting to fall apart but after 400+ hours of printing I'm not surprised.

For anyone curious I bought a Capricorn PTFE kit off of Amazon. Came with the tube, two clamps for both ends, two .4mm nozzles, nice silicon hot end covers and a tube cutter. $11 well spent!

Last edited:
View attachment 310663
Tiny space wife an my old nozzle. This little guy has done everything up to this point. The threads are starting to fall apart but after 400+ hours of printing I'm not surprised.

For anyone curious I bought a Capricorn PTFE kit off of Amazon. Came with the tube, two clamps for both ends, two .4mm nozzles, nice silicon hot end covers and a tube cutter. $11 well spent!
TALI!?

Who else! Gonna go for a scaled up print soon. Now that the printers back in business, I think I'll knock out a new belt and set of MKVI shoulders and the suit is finally all printed. No idea when I can finish more parts as I'm lacking time and space at the moment. Really want to get started on the undersuit too. I'll need more plastic wrap, duct tape and need to dig out what eva foam I have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back