Halo suit for paintball??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha Lord

Hi, Im a paintball player and i was wondering if there is any paintball halo custom around... im making my first odst helmet with the purpose of using it at paintball...

Hi, this is a forum about creating costumes in tribute to the Halo games. They are not intended to be used for an inherently more dangerous hobby such as airsoft or paintball. The equipment used in those sports is certified as safe for that event.

If anyone were to use an idea or technique suggested on the 405th and get injured, it is possible that the staff here could be found liable. Therefore such discussions are normally closed and deleted when found by an administrator.

In short, if you enjoy airsoft or paintball, that is great! But please take discussion of your hobby to an appropriate forum. This is a forum to help you create a costume, not protective equipment.

No No No don't use your armor for paintball, there is a youtube video of a guy shooting his helmet with a paintball gun. It shatters the helmet. Imagine all that fiberglass,bondo and plastic hitting you square in the face and taking out your eyes. It's not worth the risk just to look cool on the field. Use the proper safety equipment made for the spot they go through huge amount of money every year to make sure their equipment is up for the punishment.

Dude, the best thing to do would be to make the suit with this http://www.amazon.com/Vapor-Pressur...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1289275788&sr=1-11 as the undersuit and then throw this http://www.amazon.com/Gen-Global-Ra...BP6G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1289275749&sr=8-9 on over it. Also i would suggest this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00408FQYS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive as the visor (shatter proof)
BTW im the honorary bargain hunter of this site
and rhinoc is the honorary yell-at-all-the-noobs-for-posting-threads-that-have-already-been-posted member of the site. and dont worry, he doesnt mean a word of it.

NOOOOOO. Here's the video of what happens. Bad quality yes, but you can still tell....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had a thought similar to this, so Ill throw it in here.
What if you were to take a certified mask that covers the entire head and mold rubber over it to create a facade in the shape of the helmet. No sharp shards, no cracking risk, and all the impact force is transfered to the certified helmet. I cant immagine that causing any trouble.
Any thoughts?

But as for actually using the standard helmet in combat, yea I have to agree with the rest of them, its too dangerous, but, I will say that nerf wars can be quite fun.

More to the point, you would be terrible playing in a full-face helmet since you can't see or hear very much vs the standard mask. Also, your throat would be all sorts of exposed... no bueno.

More to the point, you would be terrible playing in a full-face helmet since you can't see or hear very much vs the standard mask. Also, your throat would be all sorts of exposed... no bueno.

Acually.... I used a JC Headcase for many years, didn't reduce visibility at all,
Being shot in the throat.... yeah had that happen once i think, never wore a gorget, or any protective gear minus the helmet of course. (was shot int eh temple once with a rental mask..... yeah that was deffinitly no bueno)

But in the end we come back to Roadkill's original point. DO NOT use any of the methods described on this site to build 'protective' equipment. You will more than likely end up with injury, if not a trip to the hospital.

hey man there was a thread about this that i saw before and a guy posted a vid of him shooting a helmet made from alll the steps on this site (bondo,resin,glass) the result is that with a week paintball gun the balls shoot straight through so a strong one will destroy it we came to the conclusion that you should get your existing paintball safe mask and build wooden struture around it

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I'm thinking about my Scout helmet, where I don't have much in the way of peripheral vision and lose a lot of my sense of direction when it comes to sound. That may not matter much in a competition-style field, but the place we play at also has a 2-story warehouse that's pretty dark at night so hearing well is important.

All that said, doesn't some company make fairly accurate Army of Two masks for paintball? It's not the master chief, but the in-game masks were pretty wicked.

Practically speaking, any established field probably wouldn't let you use such a helmet during play unless you could demonstrate that it was built using an industry-certified mask as a chassis. Even then, it'd still be at their discretion.

Yes, safety concerns about fiberglass and bondo. Yes, safety / tactical concerns about hearing and peripheral vision. Yes, forum-appropriate topics only.

That said, if you're dead-set on the project I suggest you look into Kydex or Concealex as a less-unsafe alternative.

Ok so what about army of two masks?? theyre made of fiberglass and are promoted for paintball... these have a piece of acrylic on each eye-hole

Ok so what about army of two masks?? theyre made of fiberglass and are promoted for paintball... these have a piece of acrylic on each eye-hole

???
Where do they have these? The only ones I am aware of are for airsoft. They have wire mesh in the eyes that will not protect from paint splatter.

I think there is a big misconception here. This forum is for costuming and prop making. This is not a forum for making safety equipment. The techniques we use typically will not give you a very good safety/ protection device. This is not a place to debate whether or not fiberglass/bondo is adaquate for safety or stop a paintball, regardless of what is mass produced out there and how it was made. Safety devices are put through torture tests by independant labs to determine their failings and maximum stress resistance. Depending on the results of these test, they are then measured against a predetermined standard (SAAMI in the case of eye protection) and either approved or not as a viable safety device before they are ALLOWED to be distributed on the open market. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE DO HERE.

This community is a group of artists, we make wearable art.
If you are trying to design a safety device you need an ENGINEER, not an artist. DO NOT trust the safety of your face/eyes, hearing, teeth, carotid arteries, throat, brain, skull, or any other vital organ that cannot be replaced to the integrity of something you construct unless you are actually trained to construct safety devices.

A paintball averages 8 grams, moving at a velocity of 300ft/second. Do the math and tell me the muzzle energy of that projectile. Can your helmet handle it?

What is the impact resistance rating of your helmet, where are its weak points, which points will crack before others? what is the impact rating of the visor you are using, before and after you cut it to fit your helmet? Which will fail first, the visor's physical integrity or the adhesive used to hold it in place (in other words, will it crack, or just pop out and let your face take the brunt of the impact?) If you cant answer every one of these questions, then do not try to use it as a safety device.

[...]
What is the impact resistance rating of your helmet, where are its weak points, which points will crack before others? what is the impact rating of the visor you are using, before and after you cut it to fit your helmet? Which will fail first, the visor's physical integrity or the adhesive used to hold it in place (in other words, will it crack, or just pop out and let your face take the brunt of the impact?) If you cant answer every one of these questions, then do not try to use it as a safety device.

That is a really good post! I like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back