Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sir are an inspiration to all of the Daft Punk helmet builders! Here I was thinking that my pepakura version was coming along nicely until I saw yours. The biggest obstacle I think anyone has with the Guy helmet is the visor... but you've overcome that with flying colours. Much like everyone else, I can't wait to see this helmet finished!

DerKraken said:
Closer and closer....

That's a scrap visor (note the webbing in the plastic) and a scrap mold I'm using just for fitment.

even still... I'm loving this. The visor is very easy to see out of - similar to dark tinted sunglasses. Its 1/16" PETG painted with automotive tail light tinting spraypaint. The sides got thicker coats then the front to make viewing easier. I'd like to thank Rube for his ODST thread where he used the same product on his visors. Excellent information!

Picking up the gold helmets has been postponed until Thursday so they can get enough curing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guardian Baku said:
Can this metalizing do see through tint? And if not does that tint spray come in spartan visor color?

I Think you re better off with motorcycle visors instead of your suggested method.

Tool said:
I Think you re better off with motorcycle visors instead of your suggested method.

I actually found a spray tint online from VHT in gold color so I'm gonna give it a try.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I finished my Guy Manuel helmet today. Its a pep/fiberglass/bondo build. Its no way near as good or accurate as DerKrakens but im quite happy with the outcome as its my first ever attempt at using pep, fiberglass and bondo. Heres a video:

I am Not going to let this topic just fade away It's too good. I guess Derkraken is busy with other propwork, So in the meantime I just give a quick bump for him and pm him letting him know we support him.

If you check his Flickr account you can see he's posted a few more pics, mostly the soldering. It also looks like hes just finished working on a awesome Big Daddy costume for DragonCon so I imagine most of his free time has been taken up with that.

Jimbo said:
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I finished my Guy Manuel helmet today. Its a pep/fiberglass/bondo build. Its no way near as good or accurate as DerKrakens but im quite happy with the outcome as its my first ever attempt at using pep, fiberglass and bondo. Heres a video:

DUDE! Very nice job! What are you using for the lighting effects? And where did you get the color gels? I'd love to know more about your build, especially the tint you used - the colors show so well through it!

Tool said:
I am Not going to let this topic just fade away It's too good. I guess Derkraken is busy with other propwork, So in the meantime I just give a quick bump for him and pm him letting him know we support him.

Thanks brother! Glad to know people are interested in this. I have been delinquent in posting updates, so hopefully this enormous one will suffice.

Sort version: Here's where I'm at. I'm not happy with it.

3898579212_ec7e84971e_b.jpg

So heres what I did to get to that point:

I used a piece of the visor plastic that was trimmed from the helmet to make the wire "hair" piece for the back of the helmet. This is really just a test piece to make sure my idea worked. I used wire I had already around the house from my car projects, need to do some more research to figure out the correct colors. Apparently the most updated ones on Guy's helmet are red, white, and green... but I am dubious about that. I worry it will look too "christmas-y" I kind of like the gray I used, but we'll see.

3879371351_2df042ab05_b.jpg

3906244481_ec7687362f_o.jpg

The plating... well, the plating didn't go so well. Apparently the cosmichrome reacted with the primer I used and caused "clouding" in the final finish. After this, the company I sent them to decided to strip the helmets entirely back down to the resin themselves, and some detail was lost. In the end, they tried baking one helmet to rid the primer of any chemicals, but that only succeeded in melting it. The second one, pictured here, is also warped but not nearly as badly.

Because of that warping, the only visor that would fit was my thicker piece with the webbing. From about 10' away it looks okay, but there's a lot of orangepeel, scratching, and haze in the finish. I've pulled another helmet since then, and will do another one tonight. In the meantime, I'm sending these guys some test pulls of smaller molds to try out their finish on. A "learning experience" with freshly pulled and 2,000 grit sanded helmets was just stupid on my part.

On the plus side, they charged me nothing for these saying they weren't happy with the finish, and they don't charge people for inferior work. They even covered the COD charges from M&M because one of the helmets got destroyed. It sets me back time-wise, but at least not financially. Hopefully round #2 will go better.

3897798635_36fc1cc830_b.jpg

3898579368_7591541f50_b.jpg

On the up side of things, I got all my PCBs in and I'm about 90% done with soldering.

3916795075_4fd01bdcb6_b.jpg

3916795257_2845c0eb80_b.jpg

I need to get a few more resistors in before I can wrap up the "chin" boards, but outside of that they're done! Now I need to start making the wiring harness for the helmet.

Outside the visor:

3917584114_5cc75a3e3b_b.jpg

Inside the visor:

3917586234_699c625360_b.jpg

The tint discolors the lights to a slight bluish tint. I think I'll have to go lighter on the tint in the final version to let more light out. Still, this is promising. The visor here was my first test piece and has the spray tint on VERY thick (probably about 6 coats)

I got a chance to wear the "dud" helmet at DragonCon this year, but didn't get to see many of the guys from the 405th. It was fairly well received, and actually not a bad piece to knock around at a con since I didn't have to worry about the finish.

3928036531_89d99e1979_o.jpg

Next up is some programming work and making the harness for the helmet. Fun times ahead!

Sorry to hear about your learning experience, but I guess.. now you know? :/

I'm digging what you did with the wires in the back, but something feels a bit weird about them. I think they are red, green, white mostly, but I think you'd be okay with other bright colors, such as that blue I see you put in there. I think there's just a bit too much gray. Hah.

And the LEDs look great inside that visor! I'm so excited to see this finished, it's going to be beautiful.

After this, are you considering making Thomas' helmet? :) Or do you not even want to think about that at the moment.. haha.

DerKraken said:
DUDE! Very nice job! What are you using for the lighting effects? And where did you get the color gels? I'd love to know more about your build, especially the tint you used - the colors show so well through it!

We dont have VHT Nightshades here in the UK (and importing it costs a bomb) so getting some tint which actually worked well was a nightmare. In the end I tried 2-3 different tint sprays, dying with Rit fabric dye, as well as using car window tint film over my PETG before forming but nothing seemed to work well. Finally I found a decent tint called Lens Tint by E-Tech (I doubt you can get this in the US). I imagine its similar in quality to the Niteshades as it doesnt make the visor blurry (unlike all the other brands I tried). I ended up using 4-5 coats, but I think 3-4 would just be as good as could provide better visibility at night.

To control my lights I used a Rainbowduino. I used 16 channels (8 for each side) for the coloured "bars" and further 4 for the ears and cheek lights either side. The Rainbowduino was great for me as my strength is with programming not electronics. As its a constant current driver I didnt need to use any current limiting resistors, for each bar I just soldered 3 superflux leds to a length piece of stripboard which was then attached to some 8 way ribbon cable. I cheated a bit with the "cheek" lights and just used a pair of white 48 smd led arrays which I bought from ebay. I tried to colour the bottom two rows with red and green sharpies which didnt work so well.

The coloured gels were from a UK company called Metal Monkey. They provide them primarily to re-colour the lights in car dashboards. They come in A5 sheets, have a sticky side and are already diffused. There is a massive range of colours: http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatalog/Coloured_Gels___Films.html

I think diffusing the LEDs was the hardest part of doing the coloured side bars. Even now im not happy with them but its hard to diffuse the light too much in such a small space.

I think you'll find that after you shine your LEDs through the coloured gels you'll find that you wont notice the blue tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back