Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, could we get molds or forms for cash from you. we could pay for the shipping and the for the item.

and you could send, but we could only get a few.(you make like 5 and action them off)

And they could get a rough copy of it. and we need to finnish it.( gold plate it, led work and so-on...)

just a good idea...

(sorry for my epic fail of spelling and grammer...)

Me: "Ooooh Daft Punk!" *click, click* "*O_O* Sweet!"

Sister: "OMG WANT!"

I had to show my sister as she's a big fan of their music... not only am I highly impressed, I thought you'd be pleased to know you made my sister of a fangirl very very happy by putting up all these details on how you went about doing this. Epic stuff. Next up, must show my father the engineer all these electronics cause your diagrams made my head explode in the best way possible...

Spartan 051 said:
hmm never would have though of using white foam though i think hot glue does a better job with diffusing the led.

I thought about that, but encasing the LED banks in hotglue means I wouldn't be able to do any maintenance on them if one burns out in the future. Also, I think that would add a lot of weight if I filled each cavity with hotglue. If weight and serviceability weren't a concern then that would have been the route to go.

psylent777 said:
For the programming of the LEDs, did you end up programming that sequence in arduino? if not, what code was used to drive that?

Yep, Arduino. Jimbo (he posted his helmet a couple pages back) did the coding for me. I understand basics... but man his work was so much cleaner than anything I could have come up with. Also, he helped me troubleshoot a lot of issues I was having with my boards as well. Really good guy to work with.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
The lights look great. Good luck with the pulls, hoping a perfect pull comes out soon.

Man, me too. I've made so many of these things. 5 of them have been perfect, just borked by the chroming process. I'm starting to think I need to make one with fiberglass resin and cloth instead.

animemannn said:
well, could we get molds or forms for cash from you. we could pay for the shipping and the for the item.

and you could send, but we could only get a few.(you make like 5 and action them off)

And they could get a rough copy of it. and we need to finnish it.( gold plate it, led work and so-on...)

If people want molds, thats no problem. Currently I don't have a way to make more of the visors though, as my friend who was pulling them has other projects to finish and this was a one time favor. Might make my own vac-former... but man that would take a lot of time/space. We'll see.

Castellan Craft said:
Next up, must show my father the engineer all these electronics cause your diagrams made my head explode in the best way possible...

I can post my full schematics if people are interested. They're actually pretty amateur, but they get the job done.

Dom said:
What song is playing in the video?

A remix of Daft Punk's new track from the "Tron" soundtrack ("Tron Legacy Theme") by Cryda Luv.

Update:

Made a new wire dome for the helmet. Correct colors as per the latest publicity photos of Guy's helmet. I kind of think it looks a bit too "christmas-y" but its accurate!

4052158824_b731c91e02_b.jpg

Control box finished. Arduino as well as the power supply lives in here. 6 AA batteries should give it 2-4 hours of life, depending on which LED effect patterns are used. The two potentiometers on the side control pattern and speed of the visor LEDs, while the switch turns the whole thing on and off. A DB9 connector supplies the helmet with 5V power for the ICs, 9V for the LEDs, and signal.

4049113972_802680fc1a_b.jpg

I'll be putting a clip on the back side of the box so it will sit on a pocket or belt, much like an external battery pack for a camera flash or microphone. This will make potentiometers adjustments easier. (remember, when you take progress shots, have as much crap in the background as possible so it looks like you know what you're doing!)

4049114076_2cf4e9afd5_b.jpg

Lastly, a size comparison

4049114210_eaa870445c_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it your using the Electorma video to figure out the wires

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFbV1CFZ50&feature=related[/media]

I thought about that, but encasing the LED banks in hotglue means I wouldn't be able to do any maintenance on them if one burns out in the future. Also, I think that would add a lot of weight if I filled each cavity with hotglue. If weight and serviceability weren't a concern then that would have been the route to go.

have you ever tried using el sheets?

Spartan 051 said:
I take it your using the Electorma video to figure out the wires

have you ever tried using el sheets?

That and the photography from this set:

daftpunk_23-1.jpg

I thought about EL sheet, but after putting it behind a tinted dome, I just don't think it would be bright enough.

great work! i don't know if you've looked in to this for the chorme but there is this stuff called "rub and buff" it's like gold leaf in a paste form. all you need to do is rub it on and buff it up. here is the link to a supplier of rub n buff

DerKraken said:
I can post my full schematics if people are interested. They're actually pretty amateur, but they get the job done.

*Passes on that quote*

Sister: "THIS is why I LOVE GEEKS!"

Me: "No kidding. I guess he doesn't realize that around artsy non-technical girls like us 'amateur' will still look like 'god amongst mere mortals.' Plus, I'm betting that means it will be a simpler build and more user friendly then anything dad would come up with."

I just wanted you to realize that you pretty much made her day with that quoted line of text. Also, please realize "geek" is not meant as a derogatory term, and one we proudly use to label both ourselves and our friends. ^_~

DerKraken said:
That and the photography from this set:

daftpunk_23-1.jpg

I thought about EL sheet, but after putting it behind a tinted dome, I just don't think it would be bright enough.

Ive actually never seen that photo set looks like ill do some more digging for a good ref of both thomas an guys lids....Yeah totally forgot that it was tinted. i always think it not i believe the discovery lid is not

Spartan 051 said:
Ive actually never seen that photo set looks like ill do some more digging for a good ref of both thomas an guys lids....Yeah totally forgot that it was tinted. i always think it not i believe the discovery lid is not

All of their helmets have been tinted, thus far. They used to wear simple opera masks though, which only covered their eye region...

The Discovery-era publicity helmet had a bit of Gold tint to Guy-Manuel's visor, too, iirc. There's a shot where they're near the Eiffel tower and Guy is wearing a fur-collared coat, you can see the gold coloration of the visor.

daft-punk.png

DerKraken, any chance of linking to the photoset you showed? The one you used for the wire-patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back