Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job on the helmet! I have a question though, are you gonna just stay with the lights that you have in the helmet, or are you gonna put the rest in?

Drakku said:
After this, are you considering making Thomas' helmet? :) Or do you not even want to think about that at the moment.. haha.

Eventually, yes. I have a commission on the books for later this year for Thomas' helmet. I'm also going to be re-making Guy again, this time smaller for us guys that aren't quite as grand in stature as my client (think I mentioned this, but the dude is like 6'4)

Altair651 said:
Great job on the helmet! I have a question though, are you gonna just stay with the lights that you have in the helmet, or are you gonna put the rest in?

Not sure what you mean with this question... The helmet will have full illumination eventually, but I'm still waiting on some parts to come in.

Caltown_ODST said:
now the big question..... can u DJ/remix, and do you do bar mitzvahs? lol. freaking epic dude.

Never touched a turntable in my life... would be awesome if I could, but alas...

Not much on the update side of things, I'm sorry to say. All of the components for the boards came in and are installed. Currently I'm waiting on a few PETG pulls for some more visors as well as the mounting "bracket" that the light PCBs will mount to. Its hard to explain without pics, but unfortunately I don't have any right now since everything is in the mail.

I sent off 8 resin discs to the platers for them to test which one will work best for the next round of chroming. 2 in plain resin, 2 in primer, 2 in gloss black and 2 in matte. I've wised up this time and decided NOT to send them the nice, shiny, wetsanded helmets until we know the best way to coat them. Really holding my breath here and hoping they can get everything I need done correctly. I have to have this done and finished by the 25th at the LATEST for a 31st delivery. Down to brass tacks.

Much thanks to Jimbo for writing my code for me. Looking forward to setting up the lights and flipping the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while. I've been working on this nearly non-stop, though my efforts on making my deadline seem to be for naught. More on that later.

ELECTRONICS:

All ribbon cables are built and tested. Everything is working as intended, thankfully!

4026190329_80c2e48922_b.jpg

Housings for the LED colorbars are built. These have since been painted flat black on the outside and reflective silver on the inside

4026942806_57868b2a01_b.jpg

I used white foam (ganked this trick from Lightsaber replicas) to diffuse the LEDs and reduce the hot-spots in the bars. They're still noticeable, but diffused as much as possible without sacrificing too much brightness

4044699772_24675fbb0e_b.jpg

One band finished. Both are done and ready, I just don't have a shot yet.

4044699432_6e6453c416_b.jpg

Blueprint for the control box. I've decided to go with AA batteries instead of the 9Vs, mostly due to size issues. The total mAh is actually in favor of the AA's though. There needs to be a few things added to this still, but this was mostly just to make sure all the components would fit. Not shown: Arduino board and microphone/line input board. These are small though, so fitment should be no problem. Its about the size of a thick wallet.

4013867565_6d7ebf17c5_o.png

CHROME:

F_CK. I've pulled EIGHT helmets so far, and to date I have ZERO with good chrome. Long story short, I won't be able to make the deadline of the 31st because I don't have a good base to put this thing into. Something happened with the latest batch which looks like it melted the helmet. Really getting tired of making so many of these and getting nothing out of it.

Distortion. The base is .5" wider

4043955041_e2ebf4b3c9_b.jpg

And the top bar is kinked and pulled away as well

4043954165_0d7aa69e93_b.jpg

To say I'm getting frustrated would be an understatement.

On the plus side of things, major thanks to Jimbo for cranking out some fantastic code work. Here's his contribution in action:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsb2LjBo8p8[/media]

hmm never would have though of using white foam though i think hot glue does a better job with diffusing the led. I see alot of modelers using a thin $#!T of plexi an a thin layer of hotglue to diffuse there leds

ho;y crap!!!! that's amazing!!! and i understand that board you made too!! i want to take it to my class and show my teacher! i want one now!!!

Wow! Just like everyone else, I'm amazed at the work that you've been doing! That's really too bad about the distortions due to the pulls.

For the programming of the LEDs, did you end up programming that sequence in arduino? if not, what code was used to drive that?

Good luck with the project, it's an inspiration to all of us Daft Punk fans in the 405 community

DerKraken! I think I accidentally stumbled upon your website while looking for this helmet on Google. It's amazing! I think I'm going to borrow your visor-forming technique and do an EVA this Christmas, if I can. O:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back