HD Gauntlet - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Of Intent

For my first pepakura model I'm going for a gauntlet, perhaps I should have started off with a lower res model, but it's all good prectice. Started out using what I thought was 200gsm card... turned out to be 240gsm, so cutting was a bit trickier than anticipated. Here's the work so far:

th_1.jpg th_2.jpg th_3.jpg th_4.jpg th_5.jpg th_6.jpg th_7.jpg

I've allready encountered gluing issues: There are so many small tabs so the glue is barely holding in some places, and the whole thing seems to want to spring outward, putting stress on the bits allready glued. I tried superglue but it just soaks into the card without holding, and i presume using thinner card (I have a thick wad of 160gsm at the ready) would be less resistant to self destruction. Any thoughts guys?

Nice start, and good choice of the model :)

As far as glue goes, I'd suggest trying a different brand or type of superglue. I've had the same trouble a couple of times, and buying a different type of glue solved the problem of it soaking in.
I remember reading on here that it has to do with the chemicals in the different glues, which leads to some soaking in and others being fine. I've actually encountered that problem sometimes even with different bottles of the same brand.

It may have to do with how old the glue is. In my experience, old superglue takes a lot longer to dry than fresh one. Make sure to buy fresh glue to begin with (some stores don't sell a lot of it, so it may lie around for years) and use it up quickly, opened bottles age a lot faster.

240 g/m² is also a very good choice, even if you didn't intentionally choose it :)

Hey, looks great, I'm pretty new at this also, but looking at your picture, are you just using a twist bottom glue stick?? That would be the problem right there. Most (all?) people are using a hot glue gun. If you're using a hot glue gun you won't need any superglue to hold it together.

I think glue guns are better suited for low-res and models larger than a helmet... for the gauntlet, some of the tabs taper off to a point, so glue guns wouldn't hold (And the glue's thickness itself might distort the model). Anyways, I used some better superglue to repair and continue the model: Here's a pic of the glue I'm now using:

th_12.jpg

And by the way... do people generally prefer the full sized, or the clickable thumbnails when linking to photobucket?

I prefer the full-sized, myself. The clickables for photobucket redirect you to their page. The imageshack ones just enlarge the thumbnails right in the thread.

Completed the card stage. Currently deciding whether to go full steam ahead and get some resin and fiberglass or to leave it as a beta version and just woodglue it. I guess it turned out pretty well for a first piece. Included size comparison with my MA37 =D

th_16.jpgth_15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back