HD ODST helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobbatron

At user request, I made an HD ODST helmet.
I worked on it for about a month. It includes, I think, the most HD visor out of all the helmets I've seen, it includes all the indents, all neck area details, and a bunch of other great things!

That was the visor around day 2
Screenshot2010-05-25at50545PM.png

That is the helmet at about the end of week 1
Screenshot2010-05-28at105708PM.png

This is the helmet around the end of week 3
Screenshot2010-05-30at121737AM.png

Here is the finished helmet, unfolded by my good friend Zero2o2
http://www.4shared.com/file/lPZAwm_a/Rhinocs_ODST_Helmet_Zero2o2.html

Hope you all like the helmet, I had alot of fun making it.

Peace,
Rhinoc

Hey Rhinoc thanks to started this thread and i must say BEAUTIFULL MODEL the helmet is one of the best from 405th and the way you make it is unbelievable.
It was a hard Job to unfold it and shows me that my work on the unfolds can be better but after 3 days fun with this great 3D model. I must say YOU`RE one of THE BEST MODELERS i see and all what you use is blender and this is the best result when you work with blender.

WE ARE ODST

Thanks to you Rhinoc, Zero2o2

I'm sorry to say this but that would be near impossible to build in pep...
Using a subsurf isn't the wisesd option for pepakura in blender...
I don't think anybody would actually have the time/nerves to make this. To high poly count in the face.
You gotta lower the poly level extremely in some areas. Oh can you show your wireframe? I think you might have some traingles in there.

Actually, the subsurf was only for the pictures! the poly count is a little more than the poly count for your ODST.
And yes there are some triangles, but only where it was necessary (in my opinion at least)

I think its a still a mess :/ Looked at your 3d data from the pep and it defenatly needs a buge cleanup before its pepable.

polys.png

This really has to mutch small poly's that would need a toothpick to fold :/

What the what?!
When I made it there werent that many verts and edges! I seriously have no idea how the hell that all happened!
Hmmmm...

Did you apply a poly or mesh smoothing option to it..? That can sometimes multiply the poly count. Also you should always model in either quads or tri's, never both, pepakura doesn't like it ><

-Phi

Hey Rhinoc! Great job!

It looks like whatever program you exported it out of triangulated the mesh. If it was blender it's probably because of how the program handles objects on a component level. There are tools that can help you fix this. I know Maya's quadrangulate (hurray for made up words) tool works if you really read into it's settings. Also, Zbrush will allow you to fix the mesh and re-export. The problem is in order for a quadrangulate function to work the mesh needs to have been divided evenly into triangles. And looking at your mesh, that's not the case :/

What I mean is every square (or quad) needs to have been split evenly, giving you six edge intersections or 6 star clusters. With your mesh however, I'm seeing 8 and 9+ edge star clusters. That makes it super confusing for a program to fix!

In any case, you have a great model and with a little cleanup it can be ready to go in no time :)

It looks like we modeled from the same reference! When I was checking your model out I noticed it was at the exact same axis and rotation as mine lol

comparison.jpg

@Hugh Holder- I did use the same reference as you! I actually got it from your thread, i hope that was alright...

@everyone- I am going to clean the model up sometime soon and re-release it so that it wont have as many... tabs, when you put it in pep.

ETRR- 2 days

No it's great. That's why I made it available, I'm glad there are people out there putting it to use! Once again, great job sir :)

Thank god! I was really worried about that when I was making it.

Also I need to change the ETRR (estimated time of re-release) to a few weeks from now because I do not have the file at this moment! OOPPS!!

First off this is truly amazing work on both of your parts! Secondly Is this fixed to use? I download it and it looked okay to me but I'm new to the Pep stuff so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back