Helljumpers: Battle For Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pony that was epic,I like my characters personality,you don't even know me much and you made my character like me,funky and humorous,at school i'm always pulling some joke at people,sometimes its a grudge prank but all is good in the end.

Really cool!!!

Carefull though. One wrong prank in my book and you might as well be stuck with a sticky or spike grenade.

I'm going to do what Xtreme Tactics said and write a couple of chapters about your guy's training to be an ODST and earning your wings, or should I say pods.

I will try to make you guys go through hell before you even look at a pod!

Have a nice day!!!

-Pony

Keep my personality,I would like to die somewhat like near the end in the story,like i try to hold off a horde of covenant and blow the joint as the ODST's escape.Something like that.

mjolnir follower said:
Keep my personality,I would like to die somewhat like near the end in the story,like i try to hold off a horde of covenant and blow the joint as the ODST's escape.Something like that.

EPIC!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i understand now. so no rookies will be in it u mean? i put my bio as a rookie earlier on. either way cant wait to see how this goes =]]

Hey guys I need a little bit of help.

I was thinking about some of the exercises I want the ODSTs to go through, but so far all I have is Live fire and the drop pod training. If you guys can come up with any other exercises, I would greatly appreciate it!

i understand now. so no rookies will be in it u mean? i put my bio as a rookie earlier on. either way cant wait to see how this goes =]]

You will get ranks, but I have no clue what are the ODST ranks.

-Pony

Count me in if as a marine you still have room! I'll go with a Sniper Rifle and a SMG. I'll be the timid and deadly accurate sniper in the squad (you have to push me to do things).

Okay, basic ODST training. Because when you enter the ODST's, I would guess you would have to have 2 years of active duity as a marine, not much training would be needed. Basically the ODST's would need:

-re-inforcment of basic exercises

-learn more in depth training on covenant armourment and species

-learn more combat tactics

-more training on every weapon know to man, both human and covenant

-drop training

-simulated combat drops (like the ones in my book)

-and lots and lots of running and crawling through mud and guts with some live fire added in.

Thats basically everything.

Hello Pony, You could add me as a Regular Marine. I figured since there is some ambiguity on Inner Colony Names and other Colonies, I would make up a colony for him to be from. My username is specifically for this kind of purpose too.

Name: Lance Corporal Haissan Neiman

Education: Some College

Birthplace: Texas Colony (Inner Colony World)

Attitude: Pervert

Specialty: Driving, Former Professional Driver

Bio: Born and raised in the former United States Colony of Texas, finished primary educations and moved on to secondary education before enlisting. HE was a driver for income while at school and became very skilled in the handling of most vehicles. He delivered people and packages, all depending upon the price. He even did some racing on the side, when he could afford it. At one point he was called in to drive some drunken marines back home, one of them worked for the UNSC as a Recruiter and passed his card on to Neiman, who later that semester bombed a few of his classes and joined the Marines. It's odd, after 2 years of service he hasn't been sent to the battlefield yet, but constant maneuvering drills on the Warthog has put him as a designated driver for officers. Now an officer has chosen him to come to his redeployment, which brings him into the story.

(If this is unsuitable, say so and I will modify if you still want him, you need marines)

next I think I should point out you have far too many "sir" Sandwiches... It's really just supposed to be the sentence followed by "sir". Second, Enlisted personnel are never addressed as sir. (Although in Marine Corps Basic the Recruits had to refer to all Noncoms as sir until their last two weeks of basic, then they were in transition to just saying "Yes -add rank of non-comissioned officer-" I.e. "Yes Sergent" Or "Aye-Aye Master Guns." "Whatever you tell me to, Sergent Major." The terms "yes" and "no" are used to answer yes or no questions. "Aye-Aye" Is used to acknowledge a command given by a superior. "ooh-Rah" works well for a group response.

Whenever an officer enters a room the first person to notice the officer is to call, "Attention on DECK!" even if they are not on a ship but land-side, this is how marines pay homage to their naval roots. Also if an officer is going to be in the area and moving about often, then Attention on deck only needs to be called when the officer first arrives and when they finally leave. Attention on Deck must be called when an officer leaves a room. walls are not walls but bulkheads, the floor is the deck, ceiling is the overhead, windows are portholes, doors are hatches, bathroom is the head, going to the bathroom is a "head-call", and the mess/cafeteria is the galley(in USMC basic they called it Chow Hall... so pick one). Port and Starboard are used too. They use the term barracks but the term for the individual area for a single squad/platoon is called a squad bay. to put something away is to "Stow it".

Saluting is only done with head gear on and never done in a combat zone or indoors. Head Gear is only worn indoors while on duty(I.e. guard duty). Outdoors you must wear some kind of head covering device. You never salute a Non-Commissioned Officer unless you are an Officer returning a salute

the ranks of the United States Marine corps (if this is what UNSC follows) are as such

Enlisted

E1.Private- None

E2.Private First Class- One Upward Pointing Chevron

E3.Lance Corporal- One Upward Pointing Chevron, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E4.Corporal- Two Upward Pointing Chevrons, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E5.Sergeant- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E6.Staff Sergeant- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over One Rocker, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E7.Gunnery Sergeant- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Two Rockers, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E8.Master Sergeant- For Field Specialized Marines- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Three Rockers, Crossed Rifles in the Middle

E8.First Sergeant- For Administrative Specialized Marines- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Three Rockers, Diamond in the Middle

E9.Master Gunnery Sergeant- Field Specialized Marines- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Four Rockers, Bursting Bomb in the Middle

E9.Sergeant Major- Administrative Specialized Marines- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Four Rockers, Five Pointed Star in the Middle

E9.Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps- There is only one in the Corps- Three Upward Pointing Chevrons Over Four Rockers, Eagle Globe and Anchor in the Middle

Warrant Officers

W1.Warrant Officer 1- One Gold Bar Two Red Squares

W2.Chief Warrant Officer 2- 1 Gold Bar Three Red Squares

W3.Chief Warrant Officer 3- 1 Silver Bar Two Red Squares

W4.Chief Warrant Officer 4- 1 Silver Bar Three Red Squares

W5.Chief Warrant Officer 5- 1 Silver Bar 1 Red Stripe Down the Middle

Officer

O1.2nd Lieutenant- 1 Gold Bar

O2.1st Lieutenant- 1 Silver Bar

O3.Captain- 2 Silver Bars

O4.Major- 1 Gold Oak Leaf

O5.Lt. Colonel- 1 Silver Oak Leaf

O6.Colonel- Silver Spread Eagle

O7.Brigadier General- One Five Point Star

O8.Major General- Two Five Point Stars

O9.Lieutenant General- Three Five Point Stars

O10.General- Four Five Point Stars

Commandant of the Marine Corps- appointed by President

I'm editing the new chapter, but I thought I'd just throw in my $0.02 on the rank thing.

ODSTs are all enlisted ranks. Spartans are Petty Officers and Officers.

check out Halopedia and you can take a look at the different named characters in the games and books and you'll see really quickly how all the soldier types break down :D

Hope this helps!

(null).exe said:
I'm editing the new chapter, but I thought I'd just throw in my $0.02 on the rank thing.

ODSTs are all enlisted ranks. Spartans are Petty Officers and Officers.

check out Halopedia and you can take a look at the different named characters in the games and books and you'll see really quickly how all the soldier types break down :D

Hope this helps!

Oh there have to be Officer Grade ODSTs... at least at the Company Grade level Ie Lieutenants and Captains. Maybe there have yet to be any made a story about... Lieutenants lead platoons...

Haissan Neiman said:
Oh there have to be Officer Grade ODSTs... at least at the Company Grade level Ie Lieutenants and Captains. Maybe there have yet to be any made a story about... Lieutenants lead platoons...

I'd assume it's much like the current military: You have senior-ranking enlisted leading each flight within a squadron (sorry for my air force terminology, it's my background, so it's what i'm most familiar with), with their superiors being junior officers who do few, if any actual jumps. They run the tactics and logistics of each mission rather than the actual boots-on-dirt work.

Any type of mid-grade to senior officer leadership WOULD be at the platoon level, but ODSTs are the special forces, a small group attached to a larger force, most likely comprised of normal marines. Those mid to senior officers would be not only in charge of the 15-20 ODSTs, but also the 90-something marines, the 10 engineers, 5 medics, etc, etc.

Basically, what I'm getting at is: Yes, it's entirely possible to have a mid to senior ranked officer with ODST training, BUT they probably aren't still going to be attached to specific ODST command structure, and they CERTAINLY aren't going to be making combat drops. Something no one outside the military (again I'm using my experience in the USAF for this generalization) really realizes is that personnel, enlisted or officer, change jobs quite frequently, sometimes of their own choice, sometimes they're "volun-told" to fill the needs of the service. Examples: My Training Instructor in Basic used to be in the Logistics Corps as a chef, he volunteered for TI duty simply for a career change, he went from supervising 20-something Airmen in his flight to being on the bottom rung of the ladder. The commander of my flight @ technical school was trained as a radio officer, in charge of a listening station in England. He got volun-told to change assignments and become a Training Commander for a flight of Air Traffic Control (my specialty) and Airfield Operations students, something he had ZERO experience in, because the Training Wing needed a Captain-ranked (O3) officer who was trainer-qualified to fill a slot, and he fit the bill. My commander at my last assignment was an EXTREME rarity in the service, he was a 15-year LtCol (O5) with all 15 years of experience as an Airfield Officer, meaning he was trained from day 1 on Air Traffic Control and Airfield Operations Procedures. The commander before that used to be a Tanker Pilot and the one before that used to be a Medical Officer.

Long-winded explanation aside, here's how I would lay out the command structure for the Division:

(Stolen from Halopedia, pertinent links in RED(red stuff is the important gist of my explanation, the blue is so you can follow the force structure breakdown))

-Unified Earth Government

----United Nations

--------United Nations Space Command

------------Central Command (CENTCOM)

----------------High Command (HIGHCOM)

--------------------UNSC Security Committee

--------------------UNSC Security Council

------------------------United Nations Space Command Defense Force

----------------------------UNSC Navy

--------------------------------Naval Special Warfare

------------------------------------SPARTAN II Project

------------------------------------SPARTAN III Project

--------------------------------Office of Naval Intelligence

----------------------------UNSC Marine Corps

--------------------------------Marine Special Operations Command (UNSCMSOC)

------------------------------------Orbital Drop Shock Troopers

----------------------------------------ODST Regiment(s), Led by Mid to Senior Grade Marine Officers, possibly from ODST background.

--------------------------------------------ODST Platoons, Led by Junior to Mid-Grade Marine Officers, probably from ODST background.

------------------------------------------------ODST Squads, Led by Mid to Senior-Grade Marine NCOs (Enlisted), current ODST assignment (duh).

----------------------------UNSC Army

--------------------------------Colonial Militia

----------------------------UNSC Air Force

So, to actually add numbers to that, and work in the opposite direction that gives us:

5 ODST troopers of junior to mid-grade enlisted rank, led by a mid to senior-rank enlisted. Leader's focus is the well-being of each individual trooper and the cohesion of the squad.

5 Squads to a platoon, led by a junior to mid-grade officer. However, squads are attached to standard Marine Platoons as auxiliaries for day-to-day combat operations. Leader's focus is the efficiency and tactical effectiveness of each squad.

4 Platoons to a Regiment, led by a mid to senior-grade officer. Leader's focus is the proper deployment of each platoon to provide the combat result desired.

So for each regiment, using my rough numbers, that gives us 100 active ODSTs with 5-10 intermediate supervisors who may or may not have ODST training and 5-10 over-arching superiors who possibly do not have ODST training.

I'm exhausted and rambling, so I'll get to my final point: You don't need someone intimately familiar with ODST tactics to lead a 100-200 person regiment, they just have to know how their assigned tactical assets will function in combat, something ANY combat officer would be trained in. Likewise, even at the lower levels, you don't REQUIRE full ODST training, look @ Dare, she's an ONI Captain, who got enough drop training to be attached to an ODST squad for a mission. I highly doubt she went through the same training Buck or Dutch did. To lead a platoon of soldiers, at minimum all you need is an officer who can handle a weapon decently and has a head for tactics. His sub commanders and squad leaders will put whatever plan he devises into action to achieve the required result.

THAT'S WHY THERE'S A RANK STRUCTURE. There is no way even the best general could keep track of every squad in every platoon in every regiment in a battlefield situation. Each level of command keeps track of it's own thing, and it all filters down.

So... much...military talk...can't understand...(sigh)*Head expldes full of confetti*.

Lol. I only wanted and just wanted the ODST ranks right now so I can write the .5 chapters. Once I get back on track with the story, I'll use the more the more longer ranks for the marines.

Do you all get me?

-Pony

Uhh...yeah.I get you,but Are we gonna be like rampaging through new mombasa like well warriors.I want to be cornered by a chieftain and like i jump off a 30 meter high supended platform,and land in a hump of garbage but suffer like medium damage,then like wake up and find that I'm separated from my team.Just and idea.

Bah, your post made my email client beep and wake me up from my unconsciousness on my desk, so I'll go ahead and post.

(again, stolen from Halopedia and color coded by me)

Marine Corps: Pvt PFC LCpl Cpl Sgt SSgt/SSgt GySgt MSgt(1stSgt) MGySgt(SgtMaj) SgtMajMC

Basic ODSTs

ODST Squad Commanders

Not Active ODSTs

To give you some canon references:

Avery Johnson is a SgtMaj

Buck is a GySgt

Dutch is a Cpl

Mickey is a PFC

[quote(again, stolen from Halopedia and color coded by me)

Marine Corps: Pvt PFC LCpl Cpl Sgt SSgt GySgt MSgt(1stSgt) MGySgt(SgtMaj) SgtMajMC

Basic ODSTs

ODST Squad Commanders

Not Active ODSTs[/quote]

This is exactly how I wanted it to look like, Thanks!!

Please corect me if I mess up the names while I type them from low ranking to highranking ODSTs

Private

Private First Class

Lance Corporal

Corporal

Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Gunnery Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Sergeant Major

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps

Please correct me of there are any mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back