Helljumpers: Battle For Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the long wait people, but here it is!!

Chapter 4 - Feet First...

"Excuse me Admiral, but how long is the trip going to take? My boys haven't had a thing in their bellies since the damn covenant showed up."”, I said to the Admiral as he watched the a covenant ship appear on a large holographic display table. "I'll give you guys 30 minutes, then after that, you drop. Do I make myself clear?" "Crystal sir!"”, I said as I saluted and walked towards my tired troopers resting on the floor. “"Ok, we have a good 30 minutes 'till we drop. Get your asses down to the mess hall and put some food in your stomachs. I don't want your empty bellies giving away our positions to the covenant."” The trooper's faces lit up as I finished my sentence. "Oh my god thank you so much!"”, Harding said holding his stomach. "I thought we weren't going to eat a thing." "Well the more time you talk this less time you eat, so get moving."” I watched my squad leave for the mess hall. “"So, what's the plan Admiral. Where are we going to drop?"”"Well, that's the problem.",”Admiral Wallace said as he studied the holographic images in front of him. "The Covenant have added anti-air batteries around a perimeter, around the excavation site. Since the carrier left, the slipspace crater has been occupied by the covenant, but I think I see away for you guys to get to one of the turrets." "How? I don't see a way for us drop in a heavily populated area?", I asked, as I also studied the images. "You're not going to drop in a populated area trooper." "Then where? I don‘t see anywhere we can drop without killing ourselves in the process". The Admiral pointed to a large field a few miles away from the dig site. “"Here!"”, He said with a faint grin. I looked at the drop site he was pointed at. "Looks good Admiral, make sure to send this to the drop pod room so I can brief my troopers"”"Very good Gunnery Sergeant", He replied turning off the table's holographic projector. "We'll be ready Admiral. Just tell us when to drop and we will give them hell." I left The room thinking to myself if this plan is going to work…or if it will end up in disaster.

I made the long trip to the mess hall. It's tables full of marines, while a small number of ODSTs had there own tables along the walls. I was distracted by the smell of hot food everywhere, but I had to resist my hunger for a bit until I found my squad. "Hey gunny over here!". I looked around the room to see who was calling me. I could see Fox waving at me while being with the rest of the squad enjoying a hot meal. "Looks like you guys are going to make the most of this meal! How many plates did you all get?"”, I asked as I took a seat. "We each got two! One of the guys on kitchen duty noticed our armor and gave us another plate", replied Salem. “"And why is that trooper?" "The guy's brother was an ODST too, sir. He told us his brother was supposed to assault the Carrier above the city, but he was killed when the Carrier entered slipspace inside it." "Was he going to board the carrier?”"I don‘t know. The trooper's brother didn't tell me how he died. He just found out that he did.", Salem finished. "Hmmm, I wonder if he was on that drop too? A lot of pods were dropped that day, that's all I remember. I rubbed my forehead trying to concentrate, but nothing. I got up and told my troopers, "Finish your meals and head straight for the pod bay. Do you all hear me?"”"Yes, sir!", the whole squad replied. "Aren't you going to eat something hot while you're here sir?", Salem asked. I looked at the large line behind me. "I don't think so. There are too many people getting a meal right now and the drop starts in 15.", I replied. "Here, Take mine", Furlong said as he slid a plate full of food. "Like you said yourself sir, we don't want to give away our position to the enemy". He was right. I hadn't had a thing to eat in two days. I'm going tire out before I even get to the pod bay. I sat down and began to eat. I looked down at the plate. Its steamy vegetables and 2 slices of beef mocking me with its delicious smell. I looked up at the clock and at my plate. "I'll be able to finish this with plenty of time to get to the bay", I thought to myself. I ate as fast as I can, but the food was really hot as it entered my mouth.

I checked my watch, it was almost going to be 2:00 AM. I looked at the tables holographic projections of covenant ships. Their sleek shapes moving around the crater shooting beams of purple and blue light down on the ground below revealing a shield shaped object. "I hope that thing isn't a weapon", I thought to myself. I changed the coordinates to find our drop zone. It was a large field with few trees. "Hey gunny, where are we going to drop at.", Maday asked leaning against the table. “"Right here", I replied pointing at the field. "We won't be able to see a thing gunny! The Covenant while catch us off guard with their brute stalkers." "Don't worry trooper. The projections are also thermal. And as far as I can tell, there isn't any covenant there. Which makes it perfect for the drop." "By the way, where is the rest of the squad trooper?", I asked. "They're in the weapons room sir." "Good, make sure to tell them to hurry. The drop starts in 5 min-" I stoped talking and looked at the door as it opened. Shadows began to come in first followed by more ODSTs. I wasn’t really surprised since every ship came with a number of them. I walked towards the squad as their visors began to turn transparent. "Which one of you guys are is the Gunnery Sergeant?", I”asked looking at the squad of troopers. The ODSTs moved aside letting their Gunny come through. "Gunnery Sergeant Brevik. Squad Beta.", Brevik replied. "That's one hell of a weapon trooper.", I said as I gazed at his shouldered Spartan Laser. “"Yup, this thing can burn through any covie armor.", he said as he patted the weapon. "Are you guys going to be dropped in the fields too?", I asked pointing at the pods. "Yeah, I got told to drop the very last minute."”He said, taking his laser off his shoulder and standding it on the ground. "I'm supposed to drop with a Gunnery Sergeant Rojas do you know him?, He asked. "You're looking at him trooper. "We will be attacking one of the Covenant's anti-air turrets. The good thing is that my squad won't be alone in this suicide mission." "Yeah, Why die alone when you can die fighting together!, Brevik said jokingly. All of my troopers came into the room. "We ready to jumper Gunny?", Bisch asked. "In a bit." I replied getting my helmet off the table. "Where are my weapons?", I asked? "We didn't get you any gunny. I thought you were going to get them yourself?" "Are you serious! I'm here planning our mission so we don't get our asses scorched and you don't even bother getting me a gun!" "Ha ha ha, We're joking sir, here." "Fox handed me a silenced M6C and Salem handed over a M7s Caseless SMG. "We got you good didn't we gunny!", Furlong said as he walked past me with his sniper rifle. "Yeah yeah. You're lucky I don't make you run a good 4 miles trooper, but I sure as hell bet the covenant will". I holsted my pistol and my SMG on both thigh plates and ordered both squads to group up. As I got them in one big group Gunnery Sergeant Brevik stood at my side. "Alright troopers, listen up!".” Once I got their attention they all looked at me with a seriousness in their faces. "For 30 years now, the Covenant have besieged our civilization, annihilated our cites, and glassed our planets. It ends now, here, on earth. We volunteered for service and fight by side-by-side with the fiercest warriors the human race have ever known. The Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. We Jump Into Hell-Feet First. And when the Covenant see our judgment raining, they will understand that Humanity’s last breath is not so easily extinguished-and they will know fear. PREPARE TO DROP". As I finished every single ODST yelled out, "OO-RAH!"”We all grabbed our weapons and headed for the pods. These were a newer version. It was more advanced than the ones the older ships carried. These have windows that you can look out from and slightly more room to move around in. When I was strapped in, I could hear the pod doors close. The noise got closer and closer until mine closed…and then I heard nothing. It was dark for a moment, suddenly all of the controls lit up. The pod was filled with greens and oranges. Two small screens lit up. It showed Harding and Maday. "Once we get everyone out of the pods, we'll begin to move towards the city.", I told my troopers as the pods began to move directly under the ship. "Good luck troopers and good hunting". "Thanks admiral, but we don't need luck we're ODSTs!".”The launch light turned red. " Alright boys, when the light goes green, we get really mean!". I looked at the timer. It was going down from thirty. I sat back. Firmly holding on to the pod's flight sticks. The timer was at its last few seconds. I began to count down with it, "5...4...3...2...1".” There was a sudden silence, then I was lifted violently up as we began to fall. I looked at the horizon, but it was nothing but darkness. I didn't know when I would land. All I could see is that I was falling fast. When I was close to reaching 3,000ft. I activated the pod's drag chute. I felt a huge bump as the chute opened, slowing me down, but still falling fast. I kept looking at the meter it's green numbers dropping at a high rate. I reached to hundred feet. I was eagerly waiting for the meter to reach 50 meters. I felt a strong force lift the pod. I reached 50 meters!. A small screen lit up saying, "Pod thrusters engaged.". My pod was able to make a successful landing! I pressed the release hatches and the door flew a good 10 feet away from the pod.

My helmet’s VISR turned on and I couldn't see any hostiles, not even the Brute Stalkers that you wouldn't be able to see with the naked eye. As I got out of the pod, I saw more pods hit the ground. I quickly got in my pod as the doors began to fly everywhere. I stuck my head out as I looked at the pods. I could see my squad mates and Brevick's squad coming out. I walked over to the ODSTs gearing up. I places by SMG and my M6C Socom on both thigh plates as I walked over. "Did you like the trip trooper?",” I said to harding as he grabbed his MA5C from the pod and placed it on his back. "That was one hell of a ride gunny!".” I got into an open area and looked at my troopers. "Once you get your gear come to my position.". I began to wait for my troopers to come to me, but it wasn't a long wait. "Alright guys listen up.", I said as I got a small map out. All of the troopers huddled up as I began to speak. "We landed a good 6 miles from our objective. The good news is that there is a maintenance hatch under the bridge, here, so we can go inside the city without the Covenant upstairs knowing we're here. "What about the buggers sarge?", Maday asked. "Those damn things are everywhere in the train tunnels and large sewage ducts". "We aren't going to go into the sewage ducts or tunnels, trooper. The maintenance hatch is going to lead us back outside.",”I continued. "We are going for the closest anti-aircraft battery, which is right...here, about half a mile from the hatch. I can bet you that there is going to be a ton on covies there protecting it, so I want you guys to be on your toes and ready to fight as soon as you see those sons of bitches.", I finished. I folded the map and stuffed it in my gauntlet. "Let‘s move troopers! The less sun light we have, the better the chance we won‘t be spotted.".”

We began to walk into the night, towards the besieged, burning city not knowing if the plan would work, if it would succeed...or fail.

Enjoy!!

-Pony XD!!!

im LOVING this so far man. its relli gripping =]]

Lol, besides the fact that there are some places that need to be fixed, I think I did a good job on this one.

In chapter 5 we will finally meet the covenant in real combat. I might make someone die though. I'm still thinkg about it.

-Pony

yay ive waited a while for this and it was satisfying,great work and u wanna make someone die,im always up for saving a life even if it means have to loose mine,just throwing that out there

One thing, use the 24 hour clock. The Military uses it, so it should make your story FAR more believeable and soldier like.

isn't the one where you can say, "We attack the covenant at 0600"?

I never really got to knowing that.

im always up for saving a life even if it means have to loose mine,just throwing that out there

You're giving me ideas trooper, lol. You will just have to what and see.

-Pony

cant wait for chapter 5. when are the marines gonna come into the story? just out of curiosity

They will be in the next chapter of course. I don't have many "real marines" that wanted to be in the story, so they they will be high ranking marines. The rest of the marine grunts I will make up.

I'm also think about using those police guys that were in HALO 3: ODST.

-Pony

Actually, I have a few other things to say.

#1- Normally, for a modern day paratrooper, you earn your "wings" after the successful completion of five training jumps and combat tests. Shouldn't there be trainign exercises before a real combat jump?

#2- Eating only a half of an hour before a jump is a bad idea. The ODST's would vomit all over the place because of the constant shaking of the pods.

#3- The 24 hour clock;

00:00-12:00 a.m. (start of day)"12 midnight"

01:00-1:00 a.m.

02:00-2:00 a.m.

03:00-3:00 a.m.

04:00-4:00 a.m.

05:00-5:00 a.m.

06:00-6:00 a.m.

07:00-7:00 a.m.

08:00-8:00 a.m.

09:00-9:00 a.m.

10:00-10:00 a.m.

11:00-11:00 a.m.

12:00-12:00 p.m. (12 noon)

13:00-1:00 p.m.

14:00-2:00 p.m.

15:00-3:00 p.m.

16:00-4:00 p.m.

17:00-5:00 p.m.

18:00-6:00 p.m.

19:00-7:00 p.m.

20:00-8:00 p.m.

21:00-9:00 p.m.

22:00-10:00 p.m.

23:00-11:00 p.m.

24:00 undefined ("12 midnight")*(end of day)

#4-The drag chute should deploy at around 15,000-20,000 feet. At 3000 feet, your chute has no time to deplow, and have an effect on your speed.

Thats about it. Other then that, its good.

Keep it up!

Actually, I have a few other things to say.

#1- Normally, for a modern day paratrooper, you earn your "wings" after the successful completion of five training jumps and combat tests. Shouldn't there be trainign exercises before a real combat jump?

#2- Eating only a half of an hour before a jump is a bad idea. The ODST's would vomit all over the place because of the constant shaking of the pods.

#3- The 24 hour clock;

00:00-12:00 a.m. (start of day)"12 midnight"

01:00-1:00 a.m.

02:00-2:00 a.m.

03:00-3:00 a.m.

04:00-4:00 a.m.

05:00-5:00 a.m.

06:00-6:00 a.m.

07:00-7:00 a.m.

08:00-8:00 a.m.

09:00-9:00 a.m.

10:00-10:00 a.m.

11:00-11:00 a.m.

12:00-12:00 p.m. (12 noon)

13:00-1:00 p.m.

14:00-2:00 p.m.

15:00-3:00 p.m.

16:00-4:00 p.m.

17:00-5:00 p.m.

18:00-6:00 p.m.

19:00-7:00 p.m.

20:00-8:00 p.m.

21:00-9:00 p.m.

22:00-10:00 p.m.

23:00-11:00 p.m.

24:00 undefined ("12 midnight")*(end of day)

#4-The drag chute should deploy at around 15,000-20,000 feet. At 3000 feet, your chute has no time to deplow, and have an effect on your speed.

Wow!!! I really messed up on a couple of things!!!

I should PM you some questions before I start writing the next chapter!!

-Pony!!!

Go right ahead. Im sort of a history and military nut, so when it comes to this, I appologize in advance for my very pickey ideas and such.

But you should go back and do a few chapters on the training jumps, like I am doing with my book. It really gives the reader a feel for the tence training a ODST has to go through near flawlessly. If it were flawless, well, then ODST's simply wouldn't be human.

Again, great story so far. Just work out the bugs, add more decription, and it will be one hell of a book!

Cheers!

Go right ahead. Im sort of a history and military nut, so when it comes to this, I appologize in advance for my very pickey ideas and such.!

It's cool. I don't know alot of military stuff, so its cool to have someone here who does so they can point out any mistakes in training, gear, ect.

you should go back and do a few chapters on the training jumps, like I am doing with my book. It really gives the reader a feel for the tence training a ODST has to go through near flawlessly. If it were flawless, well, then ODST's simply wouldn't be human.

Again, great story so far. Just work out the bugs, add more decription, and it will be one hell of a book!

lol, you mean like chapter 2.5. or 1.5!!

I have actually read your story bro and I must say, it's alot better than mine, lol!!

I'm not the best writer in the whole world, but I enjoy it and I can take criticism so I can make my story the best it can be.

-Pony

P.S. I got my ODST pistol today from Lee, so yaaaay!!! :D

Lol, thanks.

I actually am editing chapter 6 right now, and I must say, I found a good 32 problems in the plot of the chapter. Some characters were in one place, then were magically in another. I can't believe nobody called me on those problems. Its sometimes a big let down that the community here at the 405th is SO nice, they don't even point out the largest of flaws.

pony. i meant to post something earlyer but my internet failed haha. you said earlier about "real marines" being in the story...what do you mean exactly?

pony. i meant to post something earlyer but my internet failed haha. you said earlier about "real marines" being in the story...what do you mean exactly?

By "real marines" I meant people that wanted to be a marine in the story.

So if you wanted to be a marine named "Sergeant Ben", your marines would be fictional, unless someone else here wants to be a marine then he/she will be a "real marine". Do you understand now?

Pony that was epic,I like my characters personality,you don't even know me much and you made my character like me,funky and humorous,at school i'm always pulling some joke at people,sometimes its a grudge prank but all is good in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back