Helmet Concepts: GUNGNIR and Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly but the Frame would work for shape and some support. Keep it from warping really. Filter mesh is what I'm going to look into, I'm going into town tomorrow anyway I'll stop by our plumbers to see if they have any in sheets.

As for the cloth mesh, i did something similar with my boba helmet, I ran out of time, and didn't have money for a visor, so i went to Walmart, bought a piece of black cloth, and used it as a "ghetto" visor, lol, it acctually looked very good, on top of that, i got air! :) I just double layered it, and hot glued it along the ridge of the helmet, where the visor is supposed to be.

hmmm... so it does work :) I was wondering if the distance would be a problem, but I guess because light is going in from one direction, it still works. Awesome. So, we have some cheap solutions for the Gungnir... Now, if we use mesh, how would we make the lens to complete the look??? personally, I'm stumped on this one. Replacement lens?

That could be a good idea, a kind of monocle, why not get one of those cheap binoculars, like from the 99 cent store, and just poke out the lens and use that? Then just paint it, like Jester said.

I truly wouldnt care about peripheral vision, as long as a can hear i wont be bumpin into people. I always make sure i can hear or talk through the helmet, but the closer the piece is to your eye the better you will see, and nobody will notice if the lens is just a few cm. bigger, right?

no one will notice if its a little bigger. i doubt the average fan has measured the GUNGNIR lens in game then scaled that to real life, all the while being able to recall said fact and measure said monacle with nothing but the scale of his guess which would be effected by distance. now, my answer is completely over the top, but shows you wont have anything to worry about if u use the monacle solution :)

So far the only problem i haven't solved is depth perception. If it has a bigger view, magnified etc, it will mess with depth perception,
If it isn't, then you wont be able to see as much. I'd rather have my depth perception. conventions don't require that much peripheral vision right?

Well,

I've finished the Unfold for the Foam Templates for my size of the Gungnir. Going to be working on helms for a while now.
Time to start throwing these ideas into play.

well, toacrabman, it kinda depends on the convention. If it's something as crowded as the san diego comic con, chances are you'll bump into a bunch of people. I would take the thrown depth perception. If you spend about ten minutes walking around outside getting used to the skewed depth perception, eventually you will adapt to it and it won't be so bad. Try experimenting first.

Didn't see this mentioned yet (granted i did just speedread through the posts), but have you considered a hologram like this?
Not sure where or who could do this for you, but you could get the visor all prepped (shaped/molded/vacuformed), and then have a someone apply the skull design to it...
OR
you could see if someone could print the holo-skull on a sheet that you could simply place behind the visor...
One advantage is that the skull would already be printed on tinted/transparent plastic so you could still see through it, yet it also provides the 3D look, and appears so at every angle.
Just my $.02.

Ender: Your talking about a setup like the Glasses used in the Poker series. Right? Thats a wicked idea, if done right.

It could turn out really good, or really bad dependent on the quality. Bit definately a good idea, and definitly NOT mentioned yet. I like.

Remember the Original Alien Movie?

There was a Way they caste a Human skul into the Creature's face area that used a Clear, Thinned out Resin. The Turn out was fantastic. And it was only about an inch thick. The operator or wear could see just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back