"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the legs. I know I scaled these right but it it still a bit of a tight fit through pieces like my shins due to the fact that I have to put my feet through them, would padding inside them make it harder to put on your shins/thigh pieces?

Depends on where you place the padding. My Mark VI shins are a pretty tight fit to slip on (I really didn't want to split them), so I found out where I need the clearance on the inside of the shin for my foot to slide through, and I put padding every where other than those spots. It seems to work just fine.

2 problems
-what kind of hinges do i use?
-where is the best place to place the straps on me and how do i attach them to the armor?

You can make the armor out of a a variety of different materials. The most popular seems to be pepakura that is fiberglassed; that is folded cardstock or cardboard. The second most popular seems to be foam. A few people use the pepakura files to build their armor out of sintra or compressed foam board (like store-bought signs). It all depends on where your skills lie.

Hey I'm new to the 405th. I've been looking a long time but just took the time to sign up. Anyway I've started a new project. I'm making ODST armor and I have already started the helmet and was wondering If anyone could help me with finding some pep files? The one I'm mainly looking for is for the back part of the armor.

So time for me to step beyond my thread. I'm a scrubbernaut at all this BUT I'm still learning in my defense. I was wondering what exactly would be the best method of mounting ODST pieces to a modular vest? AND what material should I use to pad the insides of things such as my shins and gauntlets? AND....um, erm, the uh, shoulder straps. What do most people do to make those? o.o Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm doing rondo and soon bondo and only have about a month and 3 weeks to get this puppy as display ready as possible ^-^;;

what do u make the armor out of and how do you shape it because i do not understand

You should really read through ALL the stickies starting with those on forum rules and the complete Noob guide. Once you've done that start reading through the creation discussion forum. You will find that just about every step of the process has been discussed several time through several threads. In short, read, read, read, and read a little more. Then, take the leap and get to work. :)

Hey I'm new to the 405th. I've been looking a long time but just took the time to sign up. Anyway I've started a new project. I'm making ODST armor and I have already started the helmet and was wondering If anyone could help me with finding some pep files? The one I'm mainly looking for is for the back part of the armor.

First try the search function. Typing in pepakura files will generate a long list of threads with available pepakura files. Also try the stickied post "All-in-one-pepakura-file" in the pepakura and cardboard armor section of the forum.

2 problems
-what kind of hinges do i use?
-where is the best place to place the straps on me and how do i attach them to the armor?
Technically that is three questions, but at any rate... there are too many answers to each of these to list. My best suggestion is to look at the work in progress threads. Take your time and read through them, many builders will either post pictures of their own solutions or they will describe the process in good detail. It's a slow process but you will find all the answers you need.

So time for me to step beyond my thread. I'm a scrubbernaut at all this BUT I'm still learning in my defense. I was wondering what exactly would be the best method of mounting ODST pieces to a modular vest? AND what material should I use to pad the insides of things such as my shins and gauntlets? AND....um, erm, the uh, shoulder straps. What do most people do to make those? o.o Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm doing rondo and soon bondo and only have about a month and 3 weeks to get this puppy as display ready as possible ^-^;;

Padding can be created with several materials. The best ones tend to be either inexpensive memory foam like mattress pads, or funiture padding. Both can easily be cut into various shapes and can be found in a lot of stores like Walmart. Shoulder straps are usually either just ballistic webbing cut to appropriate length or premade shoulder harness. The premade harness come in a huge variety and can be found in sporting goods stores or army surplus stores. If your already using a modular vest to mount your armor you may want to consider the webbing and attach it to vest as well so that you have less to put on when you suit up. The vest can carry the weight that the shoulder straps were intended to carry. As for attaching the pieces, the two best methods I've seen are either velcro (i suggest sewing this to the vest) or poprivets.

Hey If im in the wrong forum post (question asking section) if someone coluld jus tell me thatd be awesome. But I just want to know how do I make the inside of my helmet all nice and padded and comfy. BTW I am about to start it today

Hey If im in the wrong forum post (question asking section) if someone coluld jus tell me thatd be awesome. But I just want to know how do I make the inside of my helmet all nice and padded and comfy.

Ithica talks about that in this video:
I found that with the Youtube search, but I was actually looking for a different video that shows how to wrap the foam in fabric with some spray-on glue. I can't find it right now, but the result looks very professional.
I'd use velcro to attach it, that way you can take it out and wash it.

BTW I am about to start it today
Correction I was not able to start it yesterday but hopefully I will be able to start it today ill keep you guys updated

When you are starting is not really all that interesting I'm afraid, especially not in a thread dedicated to questions. Just start when you have time and post pictures in your own WIP thread when you have something worth showing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the spray on plasti dip would work on the foam, or if it would deteriorate... I'll have to youtube search and try to find if someone has tried it. That way the inside would have a nice texture to it.

I wonder if the spray on plasti dip would work on the foam, or if it would deteriorate... I'll have to youtube search and try to find if someone has tried it. That way the inside would have a nice texture to it.

I finished spraying Plastic Dip on my kids' ODST torsos, which are made out of EVA foam. I even painted them with regular enamel spray paint. The Plastic Dip takes on the enamel paint without any problem. The foam torsos flex a little and I did not see any visible crack on the paint. I will find out if the color cracks when my kids wear the torsos.

OK... here we go I've been trying to find all the random parts(webbing buckles, thing like that) for my ODST build and i cant find or figure out what kind of web slide of what every it is connected to the chest plate for the "We Are ODST" live action stills I've seen. Can anyone help thanks

Ithica talks about that in this video:
I found that with the >outube search, but I was actually looking for a different video that shows how to wrap the foam in fabric with some spray-on glue. I can't find it right now, but the result looks very professional.
I'd use velcro to attach it, that way you can take it out and wash it.

Is this what you were looking for Ventrue?

Last edited by a moderator:
i need help on what pattern to use inside my helmet to place the foam padding and whatnot...can someone help me.(where to place it)

Theres no set method for a padding pattern, however, if you look up military helmet pads, you can find kits for sale that show the pads and where they go, this should help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back