"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the rough diagram I promised explaining what I wrote.

clamshell.png

This is so much win :D

Hey so I was just curious on how some of you guys and girls attach shoulder pieces to your bicep pieces. I'm looking for a way to make them interchange. Like say one week it look like carter's shoulders and then the next like emile's. I think I have a fairly good idea on how to do it but just wanted to see how others did theirs. If theirs is easier route than what I plan.

Anyone know any stores that sell the plungers used for the boots? I've been to walmart, targer, and grocery stores, I was really hoping not ot buy it online. Any help is appreciated? I'm in the US.
260prtk.gif

I've found them at Lowes and Home Depot. Just ask someone to show you where the plungers are.

To be honest, I think they changed the design a little, because the ones I've found have less ridges, and would be difficult to make work for the boots.

From Hickeydog's build thread, I picked up the tip of using a flexible plumbing connector like this:
Flex-drain flexible elbow connector

For about $6-$7, you get a good 21 inches of usable material. I think it's a much better value than the plungers.

Hey 405ths.

Anyone have a good suggestion regarding attaching weapons to the back of your armor?

I was debating picking up some hard drive magnets (which I currently use in my armor to hold the chest pieces together) and placing them on the back of the suit / hilt of the rifle... but I worry they might be too powerful.

Plus, I don't want kids stuff getting stuck to my back at conventions. Heh.

Can you actually reach around yourself enough to pull the weapon off/on while in costume? I found that I wouldn't be able to do so and gave up on the idea.

Oh snap. I didn't even think of that Roadkiller. You just saved me some time. Heh.

Don't give up on the idea just yet! If you can't reach a weapon mounted to your back, what about a side-arm attached magnetically to your thigh pieces? I'm going to be doing this once I finished my Magnum, as my thighs are now finished.

Also, I bet grenades attached to the belt would work with this concept. :) Good luck!

Another costume assembly question for you guys...

Confession: I cheated on the helmet. I picked up a Mardon Calanta pull w/ an HJC visor off someone on eBay. Got really lucky.

5658465974_bdbcb2d508.jpg

Problem is, the inside isn't padded at all and my head just wobbles around inside of it. I know I need some sort of padding and cushion in there, but I'm not entirely sure what to do.

5657892725_b4dd640e90.jpg

Any suggestions? Was thinking of finding a cheap hard hat and ripping out the insides, but I'm sure there is a much more elegant way to do this.

As always, your guidance is appreciated. :)

Hi again all

Im sure this question has been asked before but im having trouble with how to complete the boots for the mk VI armour.
First, what do you guys use thats flexible to connect the two parts of the boot together. Has to be flexible of course so that i can actually walk in it. Can anybody please do a little tutorial on them (with pictures, sketches etc). I did a boot using foam sleeping mat as the join but it basically made a solid connection and caused me to crack the heal part of my first test boot.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Im in the UK so please dont suggest products from US shops as they will work out prohibitively expensive to ship over here.

Also can anybody suggest an alternative to BONDO as i dont seem to be able to get hold of it over here.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work :)

I typed "boot tutorial" into the search function and this was about 1/2 way down the first page of results:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/15179-Plungers-And-Boots...?highlight=boot+tutorial

As for alternate types of auto-body filler, in the section of the forum entitled "405th - United Kingdom" there is a sticky thread entitled "UK Product Variants":

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/10422-Uk-Product-Variants

(You may want to read the "NOOB Reading List" (link in my signature) section on how to use the forum's search function.)

I typed "boot tutorial" into the search function and this was about 1/2 way down the first page of results:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/15179-Plungers-And-Boots...?highlight=boot+tutorial

As for alternate types of auto-body filler, in the section of the forum entitled "405th - United Kingdom" there is a sticky thread entitled "UK Product Variants":

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/10422-Uk-Product-Variants

(You may want to read the "NOOB Reading List" (link in my signature) section on how to use the forum's search function.)

Thanks very much :) I was trying to make it far more complicated than it needed to be :) now just have to souce the plungers lol :)

If you're interested, I recently finished my boots and am very happy with how they came out. Feel free to check out my build thread in my signature for some potential ideas on how to accomplish the boots, complete with pictures.

i found a way that if you dont want to leave a cm of space for the hinges, you cut the armor in half and put magnets on each side of the touching pieces, but if you dont want to the clam shell works fine

Another costume assembly question for you guys...

Confession: I cheated on the helmet. I picked up a Mardon Calanta pull w/ an HJC visor off someone on eBay. Got really lucky.

Problem is, the inside isn't padded at all and my head just wobbles around inside of it. I know I need some sort of padding and cushion in there, but I'm not entirely sure what to do.

5657892725_b4dd640e90.jpg

Any suggestions? Was thinking of finding a cheap hard hat and ripping out the insides, but I'm sure there is a much more elegant way to do this.

As always, your guidance is appreciated. :)

Something worth trying would be taking craft foam and glue in strips to form a lining like those in football helmets. I would put strips from front to back to top of the back of the head then strips across the back of the head and over and around the ears as well as a few across the forehead. I have nto tried this but my way of thinking is this would create air pockets and hopefully help the hemet be cool as well as give the support needed to keep it from flopping around.

I'm a pep noob but have been making movie props for a while now and some of those skills might be useful here. I hope you find this helpful.

I feel I missed something somewhere, if so, please direct me towards the correct thread, now on to the actual question...

how should I go about an undersuit? (IE: the thing that goes underneath to cover you, and stuff)

that was crappy and vague, but do you the reader get it?

ya, thats it. i feel like I am forgetting something, but ya.

I guess that depends on how complicated you want it to be, what skills you have and how healthy your bank account is :)

Easiest way: Wear something black.

lol @ Ventrue, I have an undersuit wip going on, lycra suit (spandex) craft foam details. Some use a black overalls, top and trousers, motorcycle protective armour. It really your choice but budget, time/effort & skills will affect whatyou choose to do. Making a screen/game accurate one from scratch will need you to be able to sew and be expensive, apart from overheating/practicallity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back