"Help!" for: Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my situation so far.. im trying to learn about using LED's and i have 100 5mm Blue Led's 3.0-3.4v/8000mcd/24mA max for my suit (obviously not going to use all of them) but, I have no clue other than soldering and putting it together. I dont know what type of resistor i need and/or how many. if someone could help me out real quick i would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Tried to upload a picture i had on photobucket but here is the link
http://s1332.photobucket.com/editor.../20130805_165326_zpsa3e7cfde.jpg.html?filters[media_type]=image&sort=3&o=0

It usually depends on how many LEDs are in one spot, your battery voltage, etc. The easiest way to go though is one resistor per LED. Any clue what battery setup you want to use?

I highly recommend carpathiavh99's link. If you run your LEDs in parallel, you can technically run as many as necessary, and each one will just reduce your run time. If you get a high end 9V, such as a Nuon, 4 average LEDs in parallel should last approximately 5 hours.

Not to throw the conversation off (by all means continue) but I have my own noob question. I have a somewhat different than normal rotary switch I am trying to use, it is being used because it has a very small form factor. But as part of this design I guess, it has no central poles. Normal rotaries work by having four central poles and then the hot pins on the outside, and the outer pin that is live with the center pole is the one that the switch is turned to, each of the four inner poles gets X outer pins that correspond to each of the X positions the switch can turn to. A 3 position rotary has 12 outer pins (3 positions for each of 4 inner poles). So to wire those ones you would have one of the center pins go to the 3.3v, and the three outer pins that go from ground +pullup resistor to the digital in on the pcb.

The problem I am having is that the rotary I've got has no inner poles, and instead the outer pins work in pairs. There are 8 pins each numbered 1-10 (skipping 4 and 9). The position to pin goes:
Position 1 (counterclockwise most) = 5 and 6 live, 10 and 1 live.
Position 2 (centermost) = 1 and 2 live, 6 and 7 live.
Position 3 (clockwise most) = 7 and 8 live, 2 and 3 live.

Problems with wiring this are that I don't THINK I could have say... pin 6 go to ground AND 3.3v so that it serves as the ground for position 1, and the live for position 2. And I'd rather not have to wire six pins so that each position has its own unique pair. Is there an efficient way to do this, or am I stuck with having six wires coming out of a little switch?

rotary.jpg

Unfortunately it sounds like you are going to have to run separate pairs. Any part number or anything? Perhaps you can dig up a datasheet that might be of use.

I'm lost, and curious what your project is.

From your description, sounds like a gray code rotary encoder, or possibly a binary/bcd coded output... ? Rotary DIP switch? heh

It's not super amazing, I just wanted a fire selector for the AR (it's not totally canon, but it's fun). The normal selectors are pretty large on the body, and this one is a very small form factor.

Ah, that's cool. I do something similar with my ammo counters. Pressing both reload and trigger enters a simple menu to change fire modes.

that energy sword made my face go numb dude, that thing is awesome! i love that it swaps from blue to purple and back again with swirl effects on the blade. im in love

Thanks to Redshirt, Gokussj5okazu, and thatdecade, I have finally seen the light! (In my costume) :)

DSCF1699.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

That looks sweet! Can't wait to see it finished!

Redshirt

Is it possible to get a tactile switch to turn off when clicked in and on when released?
any help would be great
tactileswitch.png

If you mean to cut the flow of power when you have it as a bridge between a power source and something else (led or whatever), I think it has to be a momentary on/off to do that and a quick poke at the internet shows a lot of them (or maybe all I am not sure) are like that.
http://www.we-supply.com/browse.cfm/tactile-switch-spst-off-(momentary-on)-pc-mt-2pk/4,4797.html

That one is always power off, and turns on when you hold the button down, it sounds like you'd want the opposite.

As always though... thatdecade is the god of electronics, he probably knows a better answer than me. But I still want to try and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back