"Help!" for: Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, is it possible to hook up separate segments of EL wire to one power source, or is this ill-advised? The segments aren't too far apart from each other but I only can only find instructions on how to hook up one segment at a time to a power source.

Hey guys, is it possible to hook up separate segments of EL wire to one power source, or is this ill-advised? The segments aren't too far apart from each other but I only can only find instructions on how to hook up one segment at a time to a power source.

You can hook them up in parallel, I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as your inverter provides enough power.

Edit: The guy in post #4 here seems to agree.

You can hook them up in parallel, I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as your inverter provides enough power.

Edit: The guy in post #4 here seems to agree.
Really? How would you go about connecting the isolated segments to the main supply- what kind of wire?
Thanks!

I could be wrong but, to my understanding any wire will work.

The way wire and electricity works is like this:
The gauge is the thickness.
The Thicker the wire, the more energy can pass through it.
Non-Insulated Wire can be a fire hazard/will impair your circuit/connection.

Think of energy as a giant elephant. Now, think of wire as....say... a road (or better yet, a loop/ring.) The elephant is 10 feet wide, but you chose a 5 foot wide road (or ring) for the Elephant to walk on (or through). The elephant is going to step outside of the road and mess up the pretty grass on the side of the road(or break the loop/ring).

Basically, if you have too much energy running through a wire, it will burn out and break (which caused by the wire heating up from, well, too much energy through it) -which is how a Fuse works. A thin wire (but not too thin) designed to burn out and break the connection if the energy spikes for some random reason. -Redundant, I know but it helps get the point across.

Use any wire you want so long as you can attach it to the other parts of your project.

Using Solder is preferably the best way to make the connection. If you are unable to use Solder, use small bits of Aluminum Foil, wrap it around both wires TIGHTLY (Pliers work fantastically) and then hot glue them together. While the glue cools, pinch it with your fingers (or some other tool) to get a nice, tight hold AND connection.

Choosing wire gauge: I do not know the specifics but work WITH the wire size you have on the EL wire. You dont want to have a big fat 40 gauge wire hooked up to a 3 gauge. The HIGHER the Gauge, the thicker and less pliable (movable) it is. Yes it can take more energy however, it will take more power to get from point A to point B.

I believe I use a 10 or 15 gauge for all of my electronics. You can find some at your local hardware store / Walmart

Hope this helps. :)

I could be wrong but, to my understanding any wire will work.

The way wire and electricity works is like this:
The gauge is the thickness.
The Thicker the wire, the more energy can pass through it.
Non-Insulated Wire can be a fire hazard/will impair your circuit/connection.

Think of energy as a giant elephant. Now, think of wire as....say... a road (or better yet, a loop/ring.) The elephant is 10 feet wide, but you chose a 5 foot wide road (or ring) for the Elephant to walk on (or through). The elephant is going to step outside of the road and mess up the pretty grass on the side of the road(or break the loop/ring).

Basically, if you have too much energy running through a wire, it will burn out and break (which caused by the wire heating up from, well, too much energy through it) -which is how a Fuse works. A thin wire (but not too thin) designed to burn out and break the connection if the energy spikes for some random reason. -Redundant, I know but it helps get the point across.

Use any wire you want so long as you can attach it to the other parts of your project.

Using Solder is preferably the best way to make the connection. If you are unable to use Solder, use small bits of Aluminum Foil, wrap it around both wires TIGHTLY (Pliers work fantastically) and then hot glue them together. While the glue cools, pinch it with your fingers (or some other tool) to get a nice, tight hold AND connection.

Choosing wire gauge: I do not know the specifics but work WITH the wire size you have on the EL wire. You dont want to have a big fat 40 gauge wire hooked up to a 3 gauge. The HIGHER the Gauge, the thicker and less pliable (movable) it is. Yes it can take more energy however, it will take more power to get from point A to point B.

I believe I use a 10 or 15 gauge for all of my electronics. You can find some at your local hardware store / Walmart

Hope this helps. :)

It does, thanks! I just borrowed my grandfather's soldering iron so I should be set for that. I just have to look into how to properly use it, I might just ask him to help me with the wiring portions in person. Would be a good opportunity to bond with him. :D

Thanks for taking the time to write that all out.

The person in that linked thread recommends an isolated power supply. The reasoning is that if you accidentally touch a bare wire while it's on, you won't get hurt as badly. Take it from a guy who's been burned by an EL voltage.

Isolated power supplies use a coil transformer, so it is fairly obvious if you have an isolated power inverter or not.

Thanks for taking the time to write that all out.

np!

-Is an inverter absolutely necessary? I can only seem to find them $8 and up. For a guy in school w/o a job, money is a bit tight. xD However that might change... some of my cousin's friends want to buy some of my props. lol So... I might have extra expendable money so....

Where is the best place to get EL wire? I just HAVE to get some. Soooo many applications.

-Is an inverter absolutely necessary? I can only seem to find them $8 and up. For a guy in school w/o a job, money is a bit tight. xD However that might change... some of my cousin's friends want to buy some of my props. lol So... I might have extra expendable money so....

Yes, EL wire and sheets need a high voltage AC power supply, which you can't get out of batteries alone.

You could alternatively use light pipes (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10692) and shine light into them with an LED. That makes the electrical part easier if you're on batteries, but as you can see, this stuff is way more expensive than EL wire.

Yes, EL wire and sheets need a high voltage AC power supply, which you can't get out of batteries alone.

You could alternatively use light pipes (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10692) and shine light into them with an LED. That makes the electrical part easier if you're on batteries, but as you can see, this stuff is way more expensive than EL wire.

Holy smokes! Yes it is more expensive. Thanks for the info on the Inverter and the pipe!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone's input about fans. It's always nice to be able to find the answer to your question before asking it.

Hey guys sorry if this has been answered I tried to search.
Just wondering where online can I get some light-blue/aqua LEDs? I've looked and I can't seem to find any individual LED sellers besided radio shack.

dont know if you got the lights yet but They have them on ebay really cheap I just got 40 amber led's for 12 USD just search for blue/aqua led and they will pop up and you can find 9v battery switches for the leds if you want to use them im in the process of putting the leds in my suit contemplating running them all into one switch with plugs between the separate armor pieces or just running each piece of armor on there own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-3mm-Ultra-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a1090d643#ht_2201wt_923

For my first Elite costume (well, first costume ever...) I need to make an Energy Sword. I want to make one that lights up, with LEDs, but I don't know what to make it out of. I would really like to have them on the inside, but I don't know how I would make the actual sword...

Hey guys sorry if this has been answered I tried to search.
Just wondering where online can I get some light-blue/aqua LEDs? I've looked and I can't seem to find any individual LED sellers besided radio shack.

dont know if you got the lights yet but They have them on ebay really cheap I just got 40 amber led's for 12 USD just search for blue/aqua led and they will pop up and you can find 9v battery switches for the leds if you want to use them im in the process of putting the leds in my suit contemplating running them all into one switch with plugs between the separate armor pieces or just running each piece of armor on there own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-3mm-Ultra-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a1090d643#ht_2201wt_923

Well, I fowllowed the link, and they only sell one of them each, and there's only 6 for sale!

Well, I fowllowed the link, and they only sell one of them each, and there's only 6 for sale!

that was a example just go on ebay and search led and color like green led there all in there, and cheap just look where they ship from there is us sellers that have them and they will get to you a lot quicker than the guys in hong kong.

here is another link for 9v leds the link wrks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Pre-Wired-3m...ultDomain_0&hash=item3caf8f2985#ht_1852wt_905

they also sell alternating colors and ones that dim or flash leds are awesome I love them.

Okay, here's what somebody said to me for making a light up Energy Sword, via PM: You'll need two of these:

Acrylic Sheet

Fours of these (you get 100 in a pack):

LEDs

One of these:

Battery box

You will also need a small switch, two batteries, a bit of pipe for the handle (batteries fit in the handle with the switch). You will also need to design a method of attaching the handle to the plexi-glass. Oh and some clear glue.

About 45 bucks in total. If you can find the acrylic sheet cheaper then the entire project will be cheaper.

And here's a link to my thread with a picture of it, minus some spray paint I'm gonna add:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32516-A-little-help-with-an-Energy-Sword-would-be-nice!

ok, sorry if this is a dumb question (think it maybe).

any one know what resistor I need to run a single white led off 2xAAA batteries? led fv drop unknown and no test/meter available.

Guessing without the fv drop figure its just about impossible to calculate the resistor value?
2 x AAA power source is 3v, 2400mAh?

NOT an electrical person at all, does it show? lol

Will I burn out if I assume the led is 20mAh and bung a 150ohm resistor in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back