"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks great! You should consider making a build thread so you can keep all of the posts related to your work in one spot, and get more coverage for your work so others can see it too!

One layer minimum resin on the outside, one out, and two in is another popular option for giving extra strength.

As for bondo "as much as it needs" is the best answer. Apply and sand it until you're happy. If you are happy with the results after one layer, then you're good to go, but some people (me) are super obsessive and will go through several layers before they're sort of happy.

Check out cereal's videos to see him nail it in about two layers:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-Chief-**-A-Step-By-Step-Tutorial-(My-Way)-**

I used 200gsm card stock for mine. So far I have painted two layers of resin on the outside and it's pretty stiff. At this stage I'd say it's ready to layer on the inside with fibreglass.

Hey, thanks. Sorry to bother you all more, but I bought both chemical and dust masks. Which should I use for the fiberglassing and bondo processes?

When applying bondo and/or resin you should be using a respirator that protects against organic vapors. When cutting or sanding fiberglass/resin you can use just a dust mask, since that will not produce any of the harmful vapors, only particles.

Ehhh... the act of sanding can still release vapors from the lower levels, especially if you're sanding vigorously. The rule of thumb is "If you can smell it", and if you can and are on a dust mask, switch to the respirator, if you're on the respirator it's time to replace the cartridges or make sure it's fitted correctly.

Hey I was just wandering if I could use carbon fiber with resin instead of fiberglass. I know it's more expensive but the strength is quadrupled pretty much.

Hey I was just wandering if I could use carbon fiber with resin instead of fiberglass. I know it's more expensive but the strength is quadrupled pretty much.

Yes, it's actually been used here before. Someone used in in a prototype ODST chest to see if they could make bullet-proof armor. They succeeded to a point. And you are correct, it's very expensive and, for costuming purposes, not advisable because of the expense.

I actually know a guy who owns a audio shop and I might be able to pick up some scraps of it, I doubt it will be bulletproof though. If I wanted to make it bulletproof I would make a steel mold then reinforce it with carbon fiber. There really is no point though, who's going to be shooting at me????

Just remember fiberglass cloth is hard to get into corners and angles. It's good for large areas but fiber glass mat is better for angles and corners as it can be shredded and ripped into little bits to get into tight spots.

Have a link for that? I'd love to see someone only partically successful at making something bullet proof, sounds like a darwin award winner.

I've long since lost track of that thread. And I say the succeeded only to a point because yes, the chest piece stopped a variety of bullets, but the bullets also cracked the chestpiece up something fierce. From what I remember, the builder wore the chestpiece, battle damaged, to various events after his tests.

Edit: Found the thread...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33196-ODST-Project-Real-Armor....-(Pic-Heavy)

Don't try this at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back