"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried them both and from my personal experience, I like fiberglass better for most cases. It can be applied more percisly and when you mix the resin exactly per the instructions it is way more predictable as for working times. There is less waste with the glass since it cures slower you have more time to apply it. On the downside you really should only ever use it on the inside of a piece unless you have a million years to sand it down. LOL Hope this helps :)

OK i am a noob and am doing my first halo gun. But i have run into a problem i have finished making it out of paper but now how and i supposed to resin and fiber glass the inside?

OK i am a noob and am doing my first halo gun. But i have run into a problem i have finished making it out of paper but now how and i supposed to resin and fiber glass the inside?

Resin the outside first, then take your pick:

• Cut a hole, fill it with Rondo, slush it around.
  • Cut hole, fill it with expanding foam. Don't blow the model up with it.
  • Cut it in half or into smaller units, fibreglass the separated parts. Will probably warp and be difficult to put back together.
  • Trash it and start over, this time without Pepakura.
Keep safety in mind. Resin is deadly.

Also read this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list

Remember to do some research on your own, this is a common issue and I'm fairly certain that you would have found all these solutions on your own if you had looked hard enough.

Can someone PM me with how to mix Rondo? I am having issues searching it on here and when I google it, it just comes up with a basketball player haha

Thanks

Hi, I am a noob...

Does anybody know where to get Fiberglass from the internet...

I searched for hours but i just found little pieces (like 10 cm²)
i need bigger ones, the price doesn´t metter

sorry for bad english

Thx

Hi, I am a noob...

I searched for hours but i just found little pieces (like 10 cm²)
i need bigger ones, the price doesn´t metter

sorry for bad english

Thx

Here are some more sources for quantities of fiberglass and other composites.

You really didn't find anything like this when you searched? :confused

Thayercraft Composites

ACP Composites

Hope this helps. :)

Hello 405th i am a noob and thanks to Spitfire22V i have found a website that includes many times of fiberglass. But i have never fiberglassed any thing and most of the tutorials i have found just tell me how to put it on your mask

I order my stuff from phd-24.de, they have all the basic resins and fibres. An alterantive would be a company called "Bootsservice Behnke" or something like that, I've never ordered from them though. If you want Smooth-On products, Kaupo is our local distributor.

Hello 405th i am a noob and thanks to Spitfire22V i have found a website that includes many times of fiberglass. But i have never fiberglassed any thing and most of the tutorials i have found just tell me how to put it on your mask

And the same technique applies to any part you want to fiberglass. There is no difference whether its your mask or an arm part, or leg part.

BTW, there are a ton of videos on YouTube that show you how to fiberglass anything. Just search
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+fiberglass&aq=f

Okay. You have a mask. That's good.

Here's what I do to fiberglass (this works for mat as well).

1) Apply resin to a small area (no more than 6" x 6").
2) Apply a piece of fiberglass to the wet resin
3) Apply more resin over top of that piece.

It's best to keep one hand "dry", and the other one "wet". Basically, use one hand to pick up the fiberglass and brush, and use the other hand to apply the fiberglass to the resin. Your gloves will get covered in fiberglass shards.

this may be a stupid question, but can you substitute resin for plaster or something esle? im on a bit of a budget and cant work with any harsh chemicals

this may be a stupid question, but can you substitute resin for plaster or something esle? im on a bit of a budget and cant work with any harsh chemicals

There's the wood glue method Spitfire mentioned and there's the hot glue method. Those are rather cheap and easy to use, no bad chemicals, but the results are not as good. On the other hand there are other resins, all more expensive than polyester resin and most of them, with the exception of Aqua Resin, also toxic in some way.

Generally speaking, the budget is probably a larger problem than your aversion to chemicals. Polyester resin has by far the best price per quality ratio. If you want it any cheaper, quality will suffer and if you want it less toxic, either quality and/or your bank account will suffer.

What you definitely shouldn't use are brittle materials like plaster. They may work for a display piece, but definitely not for something you are actually going to wear.

There's the wood glue method Spitfire mentioned and there's the hot glue method. Those are rather cheap and easy to use, no bad chemicals, but the results are not as good. On the other hand there are other resins, all more expensive than polyester resin and most of them, with the exception of Aqua Resin, also toxic in some way.

Generally speaking, the budget is probably a larger problem than your aversion to chemicals. Polyester resin has by far the best price per quality ratio. If you want it any cheaper, quality will suffer and if you want it less toxic, either quality and/or your bank account will suffer.

What you definitely shouldn't use are brittle materials like plaster. They may work for a display piece, but definitely not for something you are actually going to wear.
can I use super sculpy or anything like that? and how much is aquaresin?
and what is the hot glue method?
sorry I have so many questions, I just dont have much I can work with

... and how much is aquaresin?

Go here: http://www.google.com and enter "aqua-resin"

... and what is the hot glue method?

At the top of this page there is a box labelled "Search" - type "hot glue method" into it and press enter. Read the tutorial that is about 1/3 of the way down the page (note the Aqua-resin thread beneath it).

There is TON of information on the 405th, you will need to become comfortable with the search function.

can I use super sculpy or anything like that? and how much is aquaresin?
and what is the hot glue method?
sorry I have so many questions, I just dont have much I can work with

Super Sculpy is clay, right? Some people use it, but you can't wear the clay sculpt. That stuff is either soft or brittle and way too heavy. What people do is make a mould of their sculpts and wear the casts - which in turn are made from some sort of resin. It also seems like the amounts of clay you'd need for a full suit are way more expensive than resin, but I'm not sure about that.

I'm also not sure what you mean with that last sentence. If you're referring to safety: Aqua Resin is probably the best option for those who don't want anything toxic. If you're referring to your budget: Making such a costume simply costs some money, especially if you want it to look good. There's a video that claims it can be done for 100$, but personally I don't think that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back