"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there some difference between fiberglass and resin? I've heard people say " oh you fiberglass the inside, and resin the outside", but ive also heard people say things like " you have to use the fiberglass resin on the back". im confused. Also, forgive the nub question but Ventrue said "If you want to be alerted, subscribe to the thread and have the forum send you alert mails" i dont have a subscribe button anywhere on the page.

So is there some difference between fiberglass and resin? I've heard people say " oh you fiberglass the inside, and resin the outside", but ive also heard people say things like " you have to use the fiberglass resin on the back". im confused. Also, forgive the nub question but Ventrue said "If you want to be alerted, subscribe to the thread and have the forum send you alert mails" i dont have a subscribe button anywhere on the page.

"Bondo Fibreglass Resin" is a product, it's polyester resin and supposed to be used with fibreglass, but it doesn't contain any fibreglass itself. Fibreglass is, well, just that: Glass fibres. Usually comes in woven form as cloth or glued together as mat (Google can provide pictures if you haven't seen this stuff yet).
When people say "resin this", they mean using plain resin (with hardener of course, but without fibres). When they say "glass this", they mean using fibreglass, which automatically means you need resin (not necessarily polyester resin though). And when they say "you need fibreglass resin", what they really mean is "you need polyester resin", whether they know it or not.

There a small link called "Thread Tools" in the top right corner, click that and a menu wil pop up where you can subscribe. You can also automatically subscribe to any thread you reply to, that would be somewhere in the options.

http://singapore.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=3888954

hi , am i able to use the resin as shown above to strengthen my pep ?? resin is impossible to find in retail shops in my country.

Theoretically you can use epoxy resin. It's more expensive than polyester resin, but works rather nicely. However, if it's marketed as a glue (which is what you've linked), it tends to be very expensive (note that the package you linked contains only 50 ml, that's not even enough to fill two hand pieces), VERY viscous and cure relatively fast in my experience, so I doubt a glue would work very well for laminating fibreglass.

It's hard to believe that you can't find any resin at all. Have you looked online and are you using the right search terms? Surely somebody sells this stuff.

Would it be ok if I were to cut out the face mask in the pep, then resin the model?

I think it's a better idea to leave it in until after you've hardened it. It adds a lot of structural rigidity and helps prevent the helmet from warping. I've seen some people cut it out, or even some helmets don't have a visor, but have support pieces on the inside to hold the shape.

Why? You can't wait to slip it on and see what you look like? haha ;) It's hard to resist!

Would it be ok if I were to cut out the face mask in the pep, then resin the model?
You should just resin it, I never put the fiberglass mat/cloth on the pieces that need to be cut out later, it keeps it nice and structured but makes it much easier to cut out after resining.

What weight of fibergalss cloth should I purchase for a complete armor build? Also how thick or how many layers should I make the fiberglass? Also, it seems like you can use the same fiberglass resin from bondo for your gel layer, coating the pep'd model and also for the fibergalss layers, is this correct?

Thanks for the help

i live in Sweden and i need something to harden my armor i cant use resin because it's to toxic and dangerous says my father
i found some thing else i don't know if it's toxic or dangerous here is the link
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bygg/Farg-och-Fog/Fogskum/Glasfiberspackel1/
This is just as toxic as the other materials used here. It's similar to Bondo Hair product.

if anyone knows a non-toxic/dangerous material to harden my armor please tell
Aqua Resin is the only non-toxic alternative that I know and I'm not sure if you can buy it in Sweden. Plus, it's more expensive than Bondo.

i live in Sweden and i need something to harden my armor i cant use resin because it's to toxic and dangerous says my father
i found some thing else i don't know if it's toxic or dangerous here is the link
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bygg/Farg-och-Fog/Fogskum/Glasfiberspackel1/
if anyone knows a non-toxic/dangerous material to harden my armor please tell

I don't speak Swedish, but it seems that the product you linked is a Swedish equivalent of Bondo. That means it's based on the exact same resin you don't want to use and therefor comes with the same health risks. In that context, note the hazard symbol on the can, visible on right side of the picture. You'll find more info on that (and how to use the product safely) in the data sheet, which should be linked somewhere on the page. Always read those documents.
Aside from that, body filler alone isn't suitable for hardening anyway. You can use it as an ingredient for Rondo, but that won't solve your toxicity-problem.

The only non-toxic alternative to resin that I know of is Aqua Resin, everything else is either toxic or doesn't allow the same quality. Not sure if and how you can get that in Sweden though.

Why don't you let your father help you? Resin can be used safely if you know what you're doing.

Is it a good idea to elmer's glue the fiberglass cloth to the, for example, a helmet, then let it dry there. Like cover the whole thing then when it dries, resin it later?

OK thank you wery much i guess i have to get it delivered here then
do you know another material like Bondo body filler that's non-toxic and maybe can be bought in sweden

i dont know if this is a good idea for your father but you can buy these maske.... now what do you call that? gasmask? aw darn it you know what i mean

Is it a good idea to elmer's glue the fiberglass cloth to the, for example, a helmet, then let it dry there. Like cover the whole thing then when it dries, resin it later?
I would not think so. . . generally when fiberglassing I put some resin on the fiberglass BEFORE I put it in the helmet and it sticks well, though you want to do surfaces with a similar "angle" to them so that the resin does not run off of the fiberglass to somewhere you probably don't want it.

i dont know if this is a good idea for your father but you can buy these maske.... now what do you call that? gasmask? aw darn it you know what i mean

Respirator? :p
Make sure to get an organic filter, or you won't be protected!
And yes, it's a very important component to safety, so make sure to get one!

OK thank you wery much i guess i have to get it delivered here then
do you know another material like Bondo body filler that's non-toxic and maybe can be bought in sweden

Well I hope you are rich then :-D
Having stuff (especially stuff that tends to be large and heavy, like these resins) shipped internationally is really expensive.

If I remember correctly, you can make your own putty out of Aqua Resin. Skullcandy Girl made a tutorial for that stuff a very long time ago and I think she mentioned that.

I don't know if someone can give me the article Fiberglass VS Rondo.

I really don't know which method to use. I never use rondo before so I don't know if it's better than fiberglass+resin.

Well you'd need to define "better".
But for a comparison:
Fibreglass takes longer to apply than "Rondo".
"Rondo" parts are generally heavier than a similar fibreglassed piece.
Structural strength is tough to compare as it depends on the amount of either one installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back