"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, but I have one more question for the resin process. If I wanted to keep the HD detailing from pep alone, should I resin the inside only? I don't know why, but I think I just figured something out. If you resin the outside you lose the HD detail quality, on top of that, even if you were to resin the inside it won't matter because the outside resin would already be bonded to the interior, right? For example, if you were to thoroughly and fully coat your pep piece from the inside not out, the resin will somehow gradually be absorbed and bonded into the cardstock, already strengthened it. Is it okay just to resin the inside only?

Resin is a liquid, that applied with a hardening agent, is used to stiffen the cardstock so that it can support the weight of whatever medium (fibreglass, liquid plastic, etc) is being used to harden the paper model. As such there is no loss of detail possible when the resin is applied, it is absorbed by the paper.

Pepakura detail is most commonly lost when auto-body filller ("Bondo") is slathered on indescriminately and then not properly sanded and shaped.

I suppose you could counter the brittleness by using a filler that contains fibres or by adding loose fibres to the mix separately. That would result in something that is somewhere between plain Rondo, and properly fibreglassed Rondo strength-wise.

This is a good Idea. It may allow you to cut down on the number of layers too. I'm definitely going to test this on something.

Hello all!
I am almost done pepping unheared's model of the Witch-King of Angmar's crown, and am looking at shellac polish as an alternative to fiberglass (due to availability and lack of toxicity). Does anybody know if shellac is a suitable substitute to resin?

shellac will make the model crispy but not hard like resin will, i used the stuff on some paper models once and it will make them stronger and make them water proof, but in the end i would just buy resin, u will get better results then u will with the shellac.

ok so im startin to pep, ive got all the materials for that (200g cardboard, heatgluegun, ruler, knife etc etc), thats fairly ok :) lot of work but i like stuff like that :) i read all the stickys and tutorials (well, most of them) and ive been lurking around for quite a while before i got the guts to start :) still, i couldnt find all the information i need :(
pep stuff seems easy to aquire, but resin, fiberglas, and especially rondo/bondo seems to be hard to get around here. Im from Austria (if anybody knows :) ) and up until now, i could only find resin,
this one: http://www.kaupo.de/Produktkatalog/Polyurethangiessharz/Smooth-Cast-300-322.html

its in german but the picture description is english so i think this is right for resining the outside.

for fibreglass cloth i could only find a few ebay links, and for bondo nothing at all. now i know bondo isnt really necessary, but from the vids i saw, its comes in handy, and i like it better than fiberglass, after looking at the tutorials :)
anyways, i will get started with the pep today, but still i would like to know if anybody knows where to get this in austria or any german speaking country :) and maybe theres also someone here from my country who can help me a little bit in the beginning :)

also, is smooth-cast poisonous like fibre glass resin?(i guess it is, but just making sure :) )

cheers
EyeofSauron

200g cardboard
[...]
pep stuff seems easy to aquire, but resin, fiberglas, and especially rondo/bondo seems to be hard to get around here. Im from Austria (if anybody knows :) ) and up until now, i could only find resin,
this one: http://www.kaupo.de/Produktkatalog/Polyurethangiessharz/Smooth-Cast-300-322.html
[...]
anyways, i will get started with the pep today, but still i would like to know if anybody knows where to get this in austria or any german speaking country :) and maybe theres also someone here from my country who can help me a little bit in the beginning :)

also, is smooth-cast poisonous like fibre glass resin?(i guess it is, but just making sure :) )

I'd get even heavier paper if possible, 220 g/m² maybe, or even 250 g/m² if you are confident that the thickness won't cause any problems.

Kaupo is a (Or the? Not sure if there are any others.) German distributor for SmoothOn products. Their stuff comes with a huge price tag though, even compared to the usual ripoff prices in Europe, so I wouldn't use it unless there's no other way. I get my stuff from phd-24.de, that guy sells a couple of different resins, several variants of fibres and the prices are ok. I bet you can find a similar store in Austria, too. There's a couple of them, they're just hard to find :)
Bondo is originally a brand name and has evolved into a general term for automotive body filler. It's not really available here, so you'll have to find a different product. Those resin stores usually have something comparable and you'll definitely need some sort of putty if you want good results. Also, don't confuse Bondo and Rondo.

There are a few Austrians here, yes. There's also a single German-speaking thread somewhere.

Yes, SmoothCast is toxic, but not like polyester (aka "fibreglass") resin. They're different chemicals, so the results (health-wise) differ as well. SmoothOn recommends wearing a respirator when you use it regularly and/or when ventilation is insufficient. You should get a respirator with A2P3 filters, that will most likely cover everything you'll work with. I'd encourage you to spend a few evenings studying safety yourself though.

Hi, I am making a Mortal Kombat Noob Saibot mask and I was wondering whether Using bondo is the best method or should I just use a cast?

Hi EyeofSauron, I don't know if this helps, but resin ("Polyesterharz") should be available in some hardware shops like "Baumax". There is some resin available at http://www.gerstaecker.at, but avoid that since it is way too expensive! Shouldn't cost more than 15 Euro per kilogram, otherwise it's a ripoff. Here in Germany there's the brand "Presto". And try to find "Feinspachtel" or "2-Komponenten Feinspachtel", that's the Bondo-equivalent....

Hello! I'm having trouble with detailing my HD Master Chief Helmet. I don't know how to sharpen the edges when I use bondo. I can smooth them out, it is just those hard to reach areas that I can't get to: like the detail on the top-back part and the relief areas... If anyone has some advice, can you please help??? :) Thank You!

can you get smoothcast at home depot or autozone? and does it cost more then $30?
No. You have to order it directly from Smooth-On or its authorized distributors. And yes, it costs more than $30 (except maybe the trial size).

Hello! I'm having trouble with detailing my HD Master Chief Helmet. I don't know how to sharpen the edges when I use bondo. I can smooth them out, it is just those hard to reach areas that I can't get to: like the detail on the top-back part and the relief areas... If anyone has some advice, can you please help??? :) Thank You!
A mouse sander fits the bill. It costs about $35 or so at most hardware stores. A dremel tool with special tips is another possibility

I'm having some trouble finding something comparable to "Aqua Resin" to make my peps rigid before the Fiberglass/Rondo phase. I tried spray on bed-liner on my first full suit and that worked ok, but it wasn't all that great and I went through it really quickly so it wasn't worth the price ($7 a can and the can would do one piece only) and it caused more warping that I was happy with and I don't want to resort to it on my second suit. Anyone know of anything comparable in Michigan? (There's no place nearby that sells that stuff and I'm not paying for shipping and the website looks too shady for my credit card.)
Here's something I thought of but seeing as it's like $25-$55 a kit, it wouldn't be worth buying it if it's not going to work that great. Anyone work with it? There is a 2 part 50/50 resin that my mum used to have that I used for a quiver I made but I used it years ago and I can't recall what it was called and she's passed away.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/alumilite-mini-casting-kit-579714/
this stuff is cheaper yet:
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/easycast-casting-epoxy-840645/

Hi, I'm trying to make an Army of Two mask I can use for airsoft. How would I apply the fiberglass, resin, and bondo to the mask? Would I need to fiberglass both the inside and out or what?

fiberglass only the inside, or else you have a huge sanding work as you need to get rid of the fiber glass texture on the outside. Outside only resin and bondo

steps:
1) resin outside carefully and wait for it to dry. This way, you will get a good stability for your helmet.
2) fiberglass or rondo the inside. This will make your helmet pretty stable, and will make its final form. if you want to use it for airsoft, you might want to repeat this step a few times so its thicker (idk how much you need for airsoft)
3)bondo the outside, and then sand, then bondo and sand, bondo and sand, untill you get your targeted result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back