"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black-washing techniques?

In Adam's old armor-painting video he used black primer and wiped it off with a rag to get the worn black-washed look. However, all the black primers and paints I've found dry almost on contact so that wiping the excess off only just barely smudges it. Has anyone done the older black-washing that way recently? And if so where did you find the paint?

In Adam's old armor-painting video he used black primer and wiped it off with a rag to get the worn black-washed look. However, all the black primers and paints I've found dry almost on contact so that wiping the excess off only just barely smudges it. Has anyone done the older black-washing that way recently? And if so where did you find the paint?

I havn't see Adam's video in awhile but I know some other people use a black washing technique that just mixes acrylic paint and water. Its mostly water with the just enough black added in to color the water. They put that on, let it dry as much as needed and then start to wipe it off with a rag creating the same effect.

It's done in small sections and I believe (someone correct me if Im wrong) it is just applied with a regular brush as if it were regular paint. Im not sure if there is another method to apply that technique.

Black primer is supposed to dry on contact. Black-washing will only work on acrylic paint, which is water based. You cannot use enamel paint, like those from hobby company Testor, because it is based on solvent.

Sometimes using solvent based may work too. For example, it will work if you want spot-effect instead of wash effect.

i made an ar out of styrafoam, but the spray paint just eats it, any recomendations for a coating?

plastidip it then paint it

I applied plastidip on a stryrofoam ball. The sealer eats the styrofoam as well, although not as bad.

will this also allow me to fiberglass it for added strength?

I'm assuming you mean resin and fiberglass? You are very much out of luck. While I don't know what compound makes Plastidip, but I can tell you it is not a good mix with resin. Imagine burning styrofoam...

update on the foam coating, i went to hobby lobby and asked some questions and they told me th ebest coatings are plaster paper mache and some joint compound wich they dont sell there.

need color choice

I am looking to paint my armor a grey color with red stripes but i have no idea on what shades to get for the grey and red colors

If anyone has any knoledge of a good dark grey color as well as a thick red it would save a lot of time

6278522984_0122296455_z.jpg

Painted foam armor:

1. Spray painted with plasti-dip (black)
2. Spray painted with metallic charcoal grey, then metallic silver.
3. Masked and spray painted metallic blue accents for armor.
4. Masked Gears logo and dry brushed logo on.
5. Sanded part of the logo off to look worn.
6. Dry brushed the edges of the armor to give it the worn metal, scratched look. Use water based craft paint. THIS STEP IS A MUST!
6. Use a diluted black wash (craft paint) to add drops, speckles, splashes etc for the weathered look.
7. Add fake blood!
8. Drop some regular water on it to make the blood and the black paint drip even more.

It is easy! Just take your time.

See my build in the link below:

spray paint vs brush paint. I was looking around and always see people talking about using the right type of spray paint adn I was curious if brush paint would work just as well? I already have half a gallon paint oddly enough the color I wish to use on my build and was just wondering if there was an real difference in using either or? I get that spray paint would be easier and faster in the long run.

Im like a grandparent, always nagging you to try new idea.
I live less than a mile away from a resin factory, a fibreglass factory, a car body filler factory

liuying1.jpg

liuying2.jpg

liuying3.jpg

I want to know which spray paint should I use for my Marine helmet.
My helmet is hardened using wood glue.
I only have enough money to get one spray can.
Thanks

I want to know which spray paint should I use for my Marine helmet.
My helmet is hardened using wood glue.
I only have enough money to get one spray can.
Thanks

Your model will look like like a spraypainted paper model if you use only one colour. It might be a good idea to save some money before you start and then do it right.

Your model will look like like a spraypainted paper model if you use only one colour. It might be a good idea to save some money before you start and then do it right.

Thanks for the reply, but I really need it for my custume for Halloween on Monday. I bought a forest green spraypaint. (the one I saw in the tutorial thread). It look crappy, but I'm still happy with it.

new to the forums and ready to get started so here i go *takes a deep breath*
1 my primary goal is to make my first armor out of foam (seems to be more forgiving of me from my personal experimentation) and i think i have the carving and mounting down. My desire is to learn how to paint the thing AT ALL because i've never used a spray-paint can in my life. Do i need to primer it, what seals paint onto foam the best, can i use resin to strengthen the foam etc....
2 Im going for that *gasp* gears of war look, you know the one where the characters are beat all to hell and back and have burn and scuff marks all over. How do i make realistic looking "battle scars" out of paint and painty products (if this isn't done with paint please direct me to whom/whatever forum is appropriate)
3 they said don't ask for people to hold my hands here so if anyone knows of a guide or post that details making a complete from scratch to full completely detailed foam suit then please tell me
4 so excited to start working on my dream dragon-con costume and thx for the help any of you provide.

new to the forums and ready to get started so here i go *takes a deep breath*
1 my primary goal is to make my first armor out of foam (seems to be more forgiving of me from my personal experimentation) and i think i have the carving and mounting down. My desire is to learn how to paint the thing AT ALL because i've never used a spray-paint can in my life. Do i need to primer it, what seals paint onto foam the best, can i use resin to strengthen the foam etc....
2 Im going for that *gasp* gears of war look, you know the one where the characters are beat all to hell and back and have burn and scuff marks all over. How do i make realistic looking "battle scars" out of paint and painty products (if this isn't done with paint please direct me to whom/whatever forum is appropriate)
3 they said don't ask for people to hold my hands here so if anyone knows of a guide or post that details making a complete from scratch to full completely detailed foam suit then please tell me
4 so excited to start working on my dream dragon-con costume and thx for the help any of you provide.

1. Most people tend to use Plasti-dip to seal the foam so its stronger and is supposedly better to paint over. I'm not sure about Resin, but if memory serves, then you should be ok. But I'd ask around JUST to be safe. (Don't do it without a respirator!)

2. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31309-Realistic-Burnt-and-Scratched-Painting-tutorial

3. Eh, kinda broad of a post because a lot of posts have been about people going full-build with foam. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-Pilot-Helmet-And-other-stuff.?highlight=foam I highly recommend checking this thread out.

4. Good luck amigo!

appreciate the help, but the video won't play b/c youtube says the account is closed. Know of any other videos (pm me so we do't clog the thread :D )The resin info ought to be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back