"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple questions:

What pep file are people using for the ODST thighs? I've got the one from the wiki, but it's a full-on wraparound. I've seen Sean and many others use some sort of half-plate. Any links?

Also, where can I get the pep for the ODST hip plates (two plates attached to the left and right hip)?

Examples:

does anyone have those craft cutters that cut and score your pepakura for you? What kind do you have? I want to get one soon, for my finger's sake.

Does anyone have a link to a Pep Tut that outlines taking the 3d render into pep, and editing it in pep?

I rendered an item in sketchup, converted to kmz and open up in pep, it looks ok but pep added a couple lines that where not previously in the item, I went back made sure I didn have any hidden lines or layers, and re-imported, same result. When I try to 3d edit and remove the lines.....insanity ensues as pep starts adding new lines that go off on all sorts of strange tangents and shapes.

Thanks!

Hey, I have a couple questions, one, would it be ok if I used thinner cardstock than normal? I plan on using the hot-glue method for strengthening (check the halo costuming wiki) and since im only 13, I cant get the money for the 110 lb. stock. Also, what is the easiest armor piece to start with (helmet, legs, etc.) or does it not matter? I also want to do a reach costume for my first real project, I've done a little pep in the past but never a full scale project. Lastly, I wanted to know if there were any tips on the really tiny folds, as I can never really get those right and my project ends up looking funny because I cant get it right >.< Thanks in advance for the help! :)

EDIT: one last question >.< any help on connecting the pieces too? Sorry if my questions are kind of obvious, i haven't had much time to look through the forums and as I find time and find the answers to my questions, I'll probably delete the questions. Thanks again!

Hey, I have a couple questions, one, would it be ok if I used thinner cardstock than normal? I plan on using the hot-glue method for strengthening (check the halo costuming wiki) and since im only 13, I cant get the money for the 110 lb. stock. Also, what is the easiest armor piece to start with (helmet, legs, etc.) or does it not matter? I also want to do a reach costume for my first real project, I've done a little pep in the past but never a full scale project. Lastly, I wanted to know if there were any tips on the really tiny folds, as I can never really get those right and my project ends up looking funny because I cant get it right >.< Thanks in advance for the help! :)

EDIT: one last question >.< any help on connecting the pieces too? Sorry if my questions are kind of obvious, i haven't had much time to look through the forums and as I find time and find the answers to my questions, I'll probably delete the questions. Thanks again!

I'd advise against using lighter cardboard or normal paper. You'll get really flimsy models that way.

The easiest armour piece is probably the hand or wrist plate. High-def ones are also great for experimenting with new materials. Helmets are a bit harder to scale than other parts, so starting with one may be a bit frustrating.

I don't know which "tiny folds" you're referring to.

To connect the pieces, glue would be a good choice.

Deleting a question once somebody has answered would be a bit counterproductive (and since I've quoted you, it won't matter anyways :)). Please do take your time to look around though.

by tiny folds, I mean the little folds that are so close together that the numbers on the pep all mash together and you cant tell whats written down. >_>

by tiny folds, I mean the little folds that are so close together that the numbers on the pep all mash together and you cant tell whats written down. >_>

Ah, so the problem isn't really the size of the fold?

You could reduce the font size, maybe that helps in some cases. But I don't know where and how, because I usually don't print the edge IDs at all, I prefer looking at the software to figure out what goes where. That might be helpful in your case as well.

Is there a way to measure certain aspects of a pep build before you scale and print it? I know the program will give you the total heigh, width and depth (though it's not always obvious which is which) of a piece, but does it have a measuring tool, so you can, for instance, measure the size of the head hole for a chest piece? This would be incredibly useful and would make scaling a piece a far less onorous task than printing it, then making it, printing it again, making it etc. Especially as pepping a complex piece can take days!

If the tool exists in the program, then I can't find it, any help would be much appreciated.

What kind of paper do I need to use so I can print and fold my pepakura dseigns onto? That's the only thing that's holding me back from doing this. Please respond. Thanks.

Ok, I have been looking around the site and seeing all the cool and accurate pieces people are making with the Pepakura and want to make some myself but I am overwhelmed. Where can I find accurate detailed parts to make Emile's Armor? There are too many to choose from and I was wondering if anyone had some hints for me of where to find the better files for detail.

Is there a way to measure certain aspects of a pep build before you scale and print it? I know the program will give you the total heigh, width and depth (though it's not always obvious which is which) of a piece, but does it have a measuring tool, so you can, for instance, measure the size of the head hole for a chest piece?

I'm not aware of such a feature, but you can use a ruler (either physical or software) to determine the onscreen-dimensions of the model and of the desired part of it, either in pixels or in centimetres/inches/whatever. With those and the model's real dimenions you can calculate the approximate real dimensions of the desired part.

Example: Torso's real width is 100 cm. You take a ruler and determine that the head hole is 2.5 cm wide on your screen, while the whole model is 10 cm wide. 2.5 is 1/4 of 10, and 1/4 of 100 is 25. Your head hole would (approximately!) have a width of 25 cm.

What kind of paper do I need to use so I can print and fold my pepakura dseigns onto? That's the only thing that's holding me back from doing this. Please respond. Thanks.

Something around 200 g/m² is good. I wonder why you didn't find that piece of information on your own, you should literally stumble over it several times while reading on the forums. Maybe you should take a step back and repeat the reading, it might prevent a few mistakes and save you lots of time and money later on.

Ok, I have been looking around the site and seeing all the cool and accurate pieces people are making with the Pepakura and want to make some myself but I am overwhelmed. Where can I find accurate detailed parts to make Emile's Armor? There are too many to choose from and I was wondering if anyone had some hints for me of where to find the better files for detail.

I'm no expert on Reach files, but you may want to check out the All in one Pepakura Pack, *The Official* Halo Reach Pepakura Files Thread and the search function.

I found a big pep repository zip file on here, it contains Emile helmet and left and right shoulder pieces. I can email it you if you can't find it.

does anyone have those craft cutters that cut and score your pepakura for you? What kind do you have? I want to get one soon, for my finger's sake.

I have the Silhouette SD and I love it. It was expensive ($150 on Amazon), but for high detail parts, it works great. It's a little tricky to set up, but once you have it going, it flies through everything.

However, seriously consider if you are going to do several suits. If you're only going to build one, I suggest sticking with the scissors and pens.

hello i guess im the big noob for today, I have tried to find the answer to this in the sticky's and tutorials. But im having no luck after i print the image on the cardstock all im getting is the numbers of the parts no lines at all . I watched ithica's tut several times set up the color for my edge lines, for mountain and valley folds, and it even shows up correctly in the print viewer before i print. But once it starts the printing the lines are gone. Any help would be appreciated and thanks and sorry in advance if this has already been addressed and ive missed it

First, try printing one page at a time. For some reason, this solves a lot of problems with Pepakura. If the program starts printing all black pages, or just the edge ID's (the numbers) here are the printer settings that solved that problem for me:

Under "Settings" click "Print and Paper Settings"
Leave the default the way it's been working for you, but select:
"Print Lines Smoothly (Bitmap print)"; and
"Transparency" to 0%.

If that's the way you already have it, try the opposite, then close and restart the program.

I'm not aware of such a feature, but you can use a ruler (either physical or software) to determine the onscreen-dimensions of the model and of the desired part of it, either in pixels or in centimetres/inches/whatever. With those and the model's real dimenions you can calculate the approximate real dimensions of the desired part.

Just gave that a go. Not a bad idea, but the program doesn't give you an easy to measure perspective, and when you spin the piece and parts of it get closer to you, they artificially enlarge. This makes using a ruler tricky. I've used it to give me a general guide though, so thanks.

i tried what you said and it worked out great thanks so much for the advice . If i can ever help you out with anything let me know. much thanks again

ODST Armor help

Hey 405th,

I'm pretty knew to the paper craft building business so I'm still trying to smooth out some bumps with building my armor. I started with the shoulder pads and I finished pasting everything together, but then I hit a snag with the assembly.

Here's my problem. I've built all the part to the shoulder but I'm not sure how to put them together.

This is all the parts to the ODST shoulder modeled by Nightshade, not put together.
100_3610.jpg

And this is how I'm assuming it needs to go together.
100_3611.jpg

Can someone help me with how it should properly be assembled?

By the way why did the model have bars go across the back of it. Do those need to stay there or do I take them off after I fiber glass everything? They seem like they would get in the way when I want to wear it.
100_3613.jpg

And if anyone has any tips or criticism for me that would be great too. This was my first paper craft and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

(by the way is this the proper place to post this type of question or is there a better place to ask this question?)

Ok I have a question. I have a good friend that want an gator look alike helmet which I never see so I wonder if anyone could help me get file of gator helmet? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back