"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, just one dumb question?

I have noticed that 'unfolding' and 'unfolders' seem to be a little special. Both model builders and unfolders are credited and it raised this question and I cant seem to find the answer.

Is the unfold button on P/Designer enough or do these folks unfold manually somehow for a better result?

Thats it, off to the naughty 'noob' step now.

The unfold button in Designer usually makes an absolute mess of things. The unfolder will usually spend a few hours to a few days moving pieces around, moving flaps, connecting, disconnecting pieces, and the organizing them.

The unfold button in Designer usually makes an absolute mess of things. The unfolder will usually spend a few hours to a few days moving pieces around, moving flaps, connecting, disconnecting pieces, and the organizing them.

Ah, thank you Hickeydog. Now I get it.

hey guys, me again. Im making a mark VI chestpiece right now, and I started with the neck part. overall the piece is a little big, ( I wanted it that way cause im still growing) but I cant fit my head through. and I dont think theres enough room to trim it away in later steps. what should I do?

You don't fit your head through the hole, it's a "neck hole", not a "head hole". During construction you will seperate the chest into a 'front' and 'back'. Then you need merely clip them together to wear it. The hole need only be big enough to fit your neck, not your head.

Here's where I seperated my Mk VI chest at the top, also cut the pieces joining under the armpit. Click image to see the blue lines representing where the cut would be:

th_IMG_20101009_152445.jpg

Hi guys.

This is my first post, I'm very happy to be part of this community.

Now, I'll tell you about my problem and "progress":

First, I've been reading a lot of stickies and tutorials, but specially the Longshot armor progress and the scaling tutorial made by Xtreme Tactics.

Before knowing about this site, I already build a version of the FlyingSquirl's HD helmet, but one of them was very small and suffered a terrible "warping incident" during the fibreglassing process. So, after I learn about this site I just started a new helmet from scratch and this one is much, much, much better than the older one. The resin process on this one is over and I guess is ready for fiberglassing.

Then, I build a FlyingSquirl's HD chest using the Xtreme Tactics scaling tutorial, but it was a little small or at least, that was what I though.

So, I printed a new chest using a tip from Longshot: taking the measurement of my chest shadow and then use that number as a reference factor for the chest lower support strut.

For example, my chest width is 37cm, so I printed the chest model using that number as the length of the lower strut. After all, it sounded logical.

But now, according to the few pieces that I already cut (2 or 3 pages), it looks like the chest will be (I guess) terribly big.

For example, this one is a photoshoped image of the chest (the big one) with a lenght of 37cm from side to side of my torso. And as you can see, it looks like I need Spartan pectorals for this to fit me in, but the height seems to be ok.

th_big.jpg

Now this picture shows the measures of what I will look (more or less) with the first chest, the small one made with the Xtreme Tactics scaling tutorial. By the way, the lenght from side to side is 30 cm, the pectorals parts are better in this one, but they are a bit smaller.

th_small30cmcopia.jpg

And this one is more like the prior image, but scaling using a lenght of 32cm from side to side. I think this one fits me better, but I still have the impression that the height is better (and accurate ?) in the first image.

th_medium32cm.jpg

So, what do you think guys ?

a) Shall I go on with the big chest and try to fix it once it is assembled (cut a little here, a little there) ?.

b) Stay with the small chest and try to add a little more of volume ?

c) Make a new chest, using the numbers from the third picture ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PD. Sorry about my english, Is just that I live outside USA and I'm not used to write and speak a lot in english.

I pepped a Hand Plate done by Robogenesis and it turned out to be way too big. I used Xtreme Tactic's scaling method. It said to measure the height of a reference picture (12 cm) and then find the height of myself (180.34 cm). Then I divided by my height and the reference picture and got 15.029 rounded to 15. So what I just found is my scale number. After that it said to measure the piece of armor-the hand plate(.7cm) on the reference picture and multiply it by the scale number. That equaled 10.5 cm. Lastly 10.5 was converted to 105 mm. Then I input the height of the hand piece and everything else adjusted accordingly. It came out too big. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Look at your reference picture. Note where the piece you are making sits in the picture; i.e. in this case, does it sit between the knuckle and the wrist, or is it the exact width of his hand, etc.

Find that area on your body and measure it (in mm). Plug that number into the appropriate measurement in Pepakura (length, width, depth). Pep will change all the measurements of the model to maintain the piece's shape.

Build the piece. If it's still off size, determine how much bigger/larger you would like it and add/subtract that number from the Pep scale and try again.

Umm. I downloaded the free pep viewer and i cant seem to find the scaling options. could someone please give a fellow halo nerd a helping hand >? tyvm

oh diddums.. well. i guess my armor stops before it even starts. ty for the help :)

Why is that? You don't have to actually buy the thing, the trial version will work fine, you just can't save any changes with it.

However, you should be aware that making armour is expensive. These 40 $ for Pepakura Designer probably won't even make a significant difference in a full suit's price.

So I started to put my pep together and there r some gaps is that ok? Lol so nervous my first one

I've seen small gaps between pieces in some cases, specially in those who are in very complicated angles.

If they are just a few and small (ie, 2 or 3 gaps of 1 mm) I don't think it could be a big problem, however, a lot of small gaps or a couple of big gaps can ruin the whole model sooner or later.

I pepped a Hand Plate done by Robogenesis and it turned out to be way too big. I used Xtreme Tactic's scaling method. It said to measure the height of a reference picture (12 cm) and then find the height of myself (180.34 cm). Then I divided by my height and the reference picture and got 15.029 rounded to 15. So what I just found is my scale number. After that it said to measure the piece of armor-the hand plate(.7cm) on the reference picture and multiply it by the scale number. That equaled 10.5 cm. Lastly 10.5 was converted to 105 mm. Then I input the height of the hand piece and everything else adjusted accordingly. It came out too big. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Another option for this piece in particular is to measure the lenght of your hand, without the thumb (if you prefer, close your fist and go from knuckle to knuckle) then adjust the scale of the handplate's width to that number, but adding a couple of cm's as some kind of padding for the glove.

AH!

Okay, so this is a general question to those of you who are experienced with Pepakura models. I'm making Samus Aran's helmet from Metroid: Other M
The first time I did it, I tried a height of 11.5 inches, but that was far too small. I think it was roughly 16 pages. So today I bumped it up to 14 inches, but that ended up being 42 pages with over 1000 faces to it. I'm thinking it may be huge, and I'm trying to save myself all that cutting etc. Any suggestions? I'm trying to make the helmet on the small side, leaving only a little room, as most Samus helmets I see are huge, and hers is actually very fitting to her head, unlike a motorcycle helmet. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Well, you can try the method posted by a member called Xtreme Tactics. That method is very accurate:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2

If that doesn't work (but believe me, it will work) remember that in the lower right corner of pepakura are 3 numbers, height, width and deep.

You can take the measure of your head from chin to top, then add 2 or 4 cm and finally compare this height with the height of the helmet scaled using the number obtained in the tutorial. Both heights must be siimilar, with 1-2 cm of difference at maximum.

Remember to add the 2 or 4 cm as some kind of padding, because if you don't, the helmet will be very, very tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back