Props Heroic Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly how I made my UNSC Machete. ;)

Only difference is that the Grip is hollow, and the blade fits into the grip. (Because a metal grip doesn't glue or sand well, you know. ;))

Juliet, this looks awesome!

Thanks for the comments fellas, glad you like them. ;)

shoalindiciple said:
what exactly is the baby powder in the pic for?...

An old trick when doing technical hand drawings is to put baby powder on the page and your drawing equipment to help prevent crap- like erasing leftovers etc- from dirtying the page and equipment. I do the exact same thing to the ply board when I'm marking it out to help prevent crap dirtying my drawing equipment, and wearing the measurements off of my T and set squares. :)

whiplash101 said:
... How are you planning on finishing it? paint, etc.

Painting isn't exactly my forté. But I do want to try my hand at moulding. If I do that, I'd have a crack at painting the casts in the same scheme as the emblems.

Now more photos so I can get you guys and gals closer to being up to date.

After (what I consider to be) my failed attempt at the blades edges with a drum sander I decided to use AutoCAD to help me get the (near) perfect edge. I took the front profile of the machete blueprint and used it to determine the angle I needed to hold the blades on my linisher to get the correct amount of edge. I had to also take into account that I drew up the blueprints to suit a build using 7mm ply board, and I had changed my blades material to 6mm MDF, therefore changing the angle required to get the same amount of edge.

Here's a screen cap of the drawing.

21600327.jpg

I then marked out where the edge ended on the blades. I also marked out the centre of the edges, to help prevent me going to far. I couldn't have achieved anywhere near the quality I have on this build without accurate marking out.

a170f557.jpg

You'll have to excuse the quality of most of the pictures on the remainder of this post as Linda had to go away with her study for a couple of weeks taking her camera and leaving me with a couple of cruddy old camera phones to work with. :(

Here's one on the linisher with the edge guide clamped into place on the guard. I'd done most of the edge at this point as you can see.

9f01c1b8.jpg

Then to the workbench for filing and sanding.

0a0f7388.jpg

With the edges done next up was laminating the handles.

7aea6d37.jpg

cd575312.jpg

After I took this shot I then added a third clamp for just that bit more even pressure.

2973baf0.jpg

After gluing and before I went any further I wanted to mark out where the handle's dimples would be located. First by marking out...

67a6c0d0.jpg

...and then by punching as a guide and to keep location points during sanding later.

180e1195.jpg

Three rows of fifteen dimples on four sides.

32651f0c.jpg

Next I needed to sand the edges even to deal with imperfections with line up in the multiple layers. The top is sanded, the bottom- not.

b3055baa.jpg

308c6a5b.jpg

Then I marked out the curves that needed to be sanded. You can see I had a crack at one before calling it a day.

17aebd16.jpg

Before finishing up this post a quick note on safety to those members less familiar with working with wood and the machinery the goes with shaping it.

Note the correct ear muffs, mask and safety glasses.

cd611ce2.jpg

Working with the machinery used to work timber can have you listening to the loud drone of the machine for prolonged periods, which can, over time damage your hearing.

-My hearing is not there to be wasted on the sound of machinery, but the sound of my favourite heavy rock and metal bands when they come to destroy my town!

Working with the machinery used to work timber can have you inhaling fine dusk particles laced with glue and other chemicals which can, over time, damage your lungs.

-If I'm going to damage my lungs it'll be with the exquisite flavours of (the occasional) fine, hand rolled, Cuban cigar!

Working with the machinery used to work timber can cause particles of timber to sometimes fly off of the work piece which can hit your eyes permanently damaging your vision.

-And I don't intend to damage that at all because I love admiring the fine figure of my girlfriend, watching mind blowing movies with awesome effects, and reading cool internet forums like the 405th. ;)

Take it easy everyone, more soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are all good reasons to don the proper safety gear.

That shield looks great so far... hope you do end up painting it.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Did I see you working on Buck's Bowie Knife as well? ;)

Strategically placed to see how keen everybody’s eyes are that was. With the release of "Birth of a Spartan" I now have all the reference I need to finish drawing up another knife as well. Expect to see it soon in my blueprints thread. ;)

Very, very nice looking. It kinda makes me want one really badly. I guess i have to add that to my list of summer projects...

Thanks fellas for the comments and smiley. ;)

Next up was forming the guard, butt and handles. Linda was back home at this point and was kind enough to take some pictures while I was working- which came out pretty well I think.

At this point I'd already roughed the butt of one of the machetes.

486afff0.jpg

Roughly shaping the guard with the non-dremel brand dremel.

d35eaf4e.jpg

7f62498a.jpg

8e63b4bd.jpg

f920be70.jpg

7b2133d2.jpg

My trusty workshop lackey- coiled like a tightly wound spring eager to do my bidding- can be seen in the background here.

5d275d1e.jpg

Then some filing.

95e86ead.jpg

99629ee3.jpg

Then after a similar routine on the handle and some sanding I was at this point (with non-worked handle as reference).

3624e49d.jpg

f7885346.jpg

The other one got roughed the next day in short order. More pictures soon. :cool

Wow, the amount of hand-work going into this is amazing.

I can't even fathom the amount of time to just get things symmetrical in terms of the blade handles even!

Amazing stuff, can't wait till you have everything painted up.

Gonna get an Elite skull for the Legendary edition?

Re-posting this post. It and some comments were lost during the server attack following the recent server migration.

Stevieboy7 said:
Wow, the amount of hand-work going into this is amazing.

I can't even fathom the amount of time to just get things symmetrical in terms of the blade handles even!

Amazing stuff, can't wait till you have everything painted up.

Gonna get an Elite skull for the Legendary edition?

Thanks for the kind words Stevieboy7.

So I don't clutter the thread by repeating things- the painting issue was mentioned Pg 2 Post #24 & The legendary version was discussed on Pg 1 Post # 12 ;)

Took some more photos after both handles were rounded.

8484f8d3.jpg

b9010ebe.jpg

c5c8a52b.jpg

Here you can see a bit of the imperfection along the edge. I'll be able to clean it up some but it won't be 100% perfect, part of working by hand. Not that they'd be perfect for long if they were real machetes, first time steel came to stone you'd lose some of that perfect edge. Least, that's my story. :p

41da440e.jpg

The top straight edge is spot on though. ;)

35761d12.jpg

And some shots to show scale.

0b3f0064.jpg

2735b351.jpg

Machetes are almost done! More shots soon. :D

this should be put on the elite part of the forum in fact im rather shocked that it is not...nonetheless amazing work! :D

Brandon McClain said:
Looking great sir!! Loved the update! Oh, and I am still stupid jealous of your workspace!!!

Glad you liked the update Brandon. I like builds- any sort of builds, not just 405th- that show detail of how things are done, not just the end result, so that's what I've been trying to do in this thread.

I'll have to update my workshop thread to show some of the new stuff I've got/built. :)

Marc Hall said:
this should be put on the elite part of the forum in fact im rather shocked that it is not...nonetheless amazing work! :D

While I'm really happy with how this build's coming together, it is only Heroic, not Legendary. :p Thanks for the vote Marc. ;)

Next up was refining the details.

I wanted the metal guard and butt to look as though they were separate pieces to the handles.

I marked out the guard and the butt with pencil...

56fae99f.jpg

...and then put a fine cut along those lines with a chisel.

3ded77f7.jpg

88dc3c29.jpg

I then went about defining the shape I wanted, trying to make the guard and handle look separate (the same was done for the butt).

152f7089.jpg

46287cf7.jpg

Then I needed to highlight the dimples more. I first tried doing this with a 3mm (the exact OD of the dimples that I wanted) nail that I rounded the top on to give that curved, rounded look to the dimples that the picture implies. This didn't work so well. They looked too.. shallow. I was happy with how the guide marks from my centre punch looked, and seeing as how I'd only done a single row as a test with the nail, I decided to try deepening the dimples with the centre punch. Much better results, and I was able to re-do the nail dimples with good results too!

10e4fbb9.jpg

Using the centre punch on the top row caused cracks due to it been right on the top curve of the hendle, these I later sanded out.

1a211f97.jpg

When I had one done I took some comparison pics. Before and after, sorta.

9a1ec374.jpg

57b64368.jpg

13229e11.jpg

32675033.jpg

Then I did the other one up and took some more pics.

3aa8a6d7.jpg

741823f2.jpg

1e8bd9de.jpg

And now you're pretty much up to date. I just need to find some time to seal them, some more sanding, probably followed by some more sealing, and then of course more sanding. I'll update you when I do. ;)

mjolnir follower said:
Juliet, you never fail to impress. Doing a run of these in the future maybe?

Oooooh, Plus one, though I never be able to get one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back