Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I began, and well...I feel like I suck. The base is this, still need to connect detail all that lovely lot. The seams I got flex seal to cover it up, and a dremil to sand the messy parts. Still...ehh? Progress?

Attachments

• 20190504_155850.jpg
    20190504_155850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
You say you're new at this? That's looking way good.

A critical eye I would recommend being careful to keep your sharp blade 90° to the foam and make it all in one cut.

My first cuts were way terrible compared to the cuts I'm looking at, so good job!

You say you're new at this? That's looking way good.

A critical eye I would recommend being careful to keep your sharp blade 90° to the foam and make it all in one cut.

My first cuts were way terrible compared to the cuts I'm looking at, so good job!
The miniscule line difference was due to me using a pair of scissors while my art teacher finished the top front (Thankfully the easiest as it is only one piece that I can score and add pieces onto). Never the less, still about a month till completion...and I really hope it doesnt suck.

The miniscule line difference was due to me using a pair of scissors while my art teacher finished the top front (Thankfully the easiest as it is only one piece that I can score and add pieces onto). Never the less, still about a month till completion...and I really hope it doesnt suck.
Everyone has a first costume. Some people stop there, some people don't even finish their first. It's just the way the cookie crumbles honestly. My first foam build isn't great, I made a bunch of mistakes but I OWN THAT *BLAM*. That costume is a testament to my willingness to learn something new and show off the skills I practiced along the way. I've only just started replacing parts of it after three years of wearing it every chance I got and I love the costume.

Yours will be the same, you'll finish the build, some parts you'll be less happy with than other sections but as a whole you'll be proud that you finished. If you keep on practicing and learning you'll replace those parts and add story to your costume as the forum crowd cheers you on.

Keep with it, keep asking questions and we're here with you.

Good advise TurboCharizard!!!

FoxofShadows193, don't compare your build w/ anybody else.....because it ain't theirs!! They didn't put the time or effort into it. You did. You suit is YOUR SUIT.....however it turns out....Good, Bad or Turbo....I mean Ugly.....
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Good advise TurboCharizard!!!

FoxofShadows193, don't compare your build w/ anybody else.....because it ain't theirs!! They didn't put the time or effort into it. You did. You suit is YOUR SUIT.....however it turns out....Good, Bad or Turbo....I mean Ugly.....

That's right! If you start to compare your suit to others you might lose the magic you put into yours thinking that its "not good enough" or whatever. DON"T DO THAT! AT ALL COSTS JUST DON'T EVEN LOOK!
Sure you can check out others for reference and that but not to say, oh I need to change this to look like that guy now.... Never a good idea.
It's more about your own personal journey with the build and how you feel about it when it's all done.

I mean, I am approaching this as I would my drawings. Building a base to sit everything on, then sanding the edges to clean up any messy damage on the cutting sides as I use scissors, and a kind of dull-ish craft knife. I also intend to build on the base, and then score in the details that need to be scored, and cut out whichever pieces need to be. (That way, less beveling. Way less). Not the most...time worthy way, but I hope it works, and I don't mess up like I do most things.

Also I just noticed I took the photo of the belt middle upside down...wow I am stupid, and...I messed up the outer parts of the chest to the lower connectors....great...

I mean, I am approaching this as I would my drawings. Building a base to sit everything on, then sanding the edges to clean up any messy damage on the cutting sides as I use scissors, and a kind of dull-ish craft knife. I also intend to build on the base, and then score in the details that need to be scored, and cut out whichever pieces need to be. (That way, less beveling. Way less). Not the most...time worthy way, but I hope it works, and I don't mess up like I do most things.
That craft knife is going to be your best friend for projects like this. If you can get a sharpener and keep a keen edge on the blade you'll get some top notch cuts in no time.

That craft knife is going to be your best friend for projects like this. If you can get a sharpener and keep a keen edge on the blade you'll get some top notch cuts in no time.
Well I have a dremil to sand clean anything I do mess up, but...ehh I don't know. I know you lot said, don't look at others, don't stop working...but I can't help but feel I messed up somewhere. I mean, when I actually look at it, I hardly have anything, and it hardly looks anything like the odst would look like (even at it's base). Oh well, ehh, such is life. Sorry for being a whiny grunt...it's just a personality trait when I feel I suck like no man's business.

Well I have a dremil to sand clean anything I do mess up, but...ehh I don't know. I know you lot said, don't look at others, don't stop working...but I can't help but feel I messed up somewhere. I mean, when I actually look at it, I hardly have anything, and it hardly looks anything like the odst would look like (even at it's base). Oh well, ehh, such is life. Sorry for being a whiny grunt...it's just a personality trait when I feel I suck like no man's business.

BUT.............look what you have accomplished so far. I have friends that couldn't even do what you have done up to this point. So if your not happy with it, look at what you may have done wrong, look at what you did right, and look at what you want it to be. Then use the skills you have achieved up to this point and build on that.

We all started where you are. Everyone who has some outrageously awesome builds have had set backs, failures, and had to re-make a part at one time or another. That is what makes their end result so good. We learn from the mistakes and do it better the next time we try.

And now I have something that sort of resembles the top of an ODST helm? And now I am depressed once more of my inability to do things, and I have hardly detailed anything to look 3d either....really feeling like this is going to be a misson failure

Attachments

• 20190608_160117.jpg
    20190608_160117.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 20190608_160124.jpg
    20190608_160124.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190608_160129.jpg
    20190608_160129.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 244
And now I have something that sort of resembles the top of an ODST helm? And now I am depressed once more of my inability to do things, and I have hardly detailed anything to look 3d either....really feeling like this is going to be a misson failure

Don't. You've got decent cuts here and it looks like you know where the pieces go, so that's already better than some if my earlier (and later.....) work.

The trick at this stage you're at now is the seams. Be patient. This is going to take some time, but you'll get it. If you align the seams one at a time very carefully and get them secured, you'll have better, cleaner results and an easier time with the next steps of the process.

So just relax, luck on some relaxing calm music, and take your time. You'll find slow is smooth, smooth is fast in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back