Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Opinion
From what I can tell so far it looks like you're doing great! However, my opinion really doesn't matter, it's about whether or not you think it's good. If you're trying to do some type of cut, some type of style/bevel, 3D finish, or whatever, try just posting here and ask how other people have achieved the same thing. That's something I underutilized myself while I was making my suit, as I invented the whole process myself on the fly.

What I've done
When I was building mine I liked to grab a drink, blast some music, and then just chill for a couple hours while I worked on the construction. I think if you look at it as "I get to work on building a suit for the next X hrs, and I'm just gonna chill and have fun with this" instead of "it's time to clock in and get some more work done because I'm supposed to" or "gotta work on this now because it's taking too long, needs to be done" or yadda yadda then you'll have more natural patience, attention to detail, and generally more fun while making your suit. It's not supposed to be a stressful process, it's supposed to be fun!

That said, it's easy even for me to fall into the "I want to get this done asap" mindset, and I also have a number of places I plan to improve my suit that I wouldn't have to if I had just done it right the first time.

Another perspective
In software engineering we target what we call an MVP: Minimum Viable Product. That means, we shoot for the most basic version of a piece of software that meets the requirements of what it's supposed to do, and then we improve it from there. If we don't follow the pracice, the project becomes significantly more likely to become dropped, scale to large, or have the company lose interest. I kind of took this approach with my suit, I built a basic version that I felt met all the basis requirements of Mk VI suit, and just like a software application I plan on modifying and improving it from there. The nice thing about this approach is that since it's already 'done', I don't feel the pressure of 'needing to finish' and I can take my time to just relax and enjoy working on the suit without having to remind myself to slow down.

Final notes
Sorry, I keep editing this message to add more on. I made my first suit when I was 10: My first cosplay from 2009 (10yrs old) and to be perfectly honest, I knew it was cringey and my helmet was so bad I didn't even want to wear it. But you know what DAMMIT I LOVED THAT SUIT, I was so proud to walk around and finally show off what I had created. Sure, did the other kids in storebought suits look better? Yeah. But I can tell you I was more excited that day than anyone else. I suppose the message here is, even if your first suit isn't super spectacular that doesn't mean you can't do it, or you're a failure. I'll leave you with this quote (because I need to get back to work):

You did it, you've finished your suit.
raw.png

Last edited:
Good advise TurboCharizard!!!

FoxofShadows193, don't compare your build w/ anybody else.....because it ain't theirs!! They didn't put the time or effort into it. You did. You suit is YOUR SUIT.....however it turns out....Good, Bad or Turbo....I mean Ugly.....
I know it was posted a while ago, but I just wanted to also reiterate this point. I have often found that I am my greatest critic.

And now I have something that sort of resembles the top of an ODST helm? And now I am depressed once more of my inability to do things, and I have hardly detailed anything to look 3d either....really feeling like this is going to be a misson failure
The thing about helmets is that they are the best to assemble in parts and they don't really look like anything until all those pieces are together. Once it's assembled into the base form like RandomRanger said, start adding raised details, scoring in panel lines and filling in seams.

You've got a great start, now just time to walk it into the finish line!

So just relax, luck on some relaxing calm music, and take your time. You'll find slow is smooth, smooth is fast in the long run.
This sounds like a job for lofi hip hop radio - beats to study/relax to

Those horizontal cuts on the long strips dont need to be there. That I'd just more time that is taking away from the build that may even decrease the quality. Those are there so that the paper can take its shape when the tabs are aligned. This is because paper can only fold in one direction. If it is folded in more than one way, it gets weird lumps and creases, while foam can be heated up and shaped how you want without these problems. Other than that, looking good!

Detail can always be added later by layering foam ontop. It is nothing to worry about!

I know, I know. Just blimey, it's hard to want to move on, when you see the level you lot make up. I mean, come on, when I see teenagers outpacing me, it's quite...well, unmotivating. I remember seeing some lass on here who was absolutely killin' it, and looked like she was fifteen or so. The joys of being autistic, with depression I suppose. Oh well, we will see where this goes...I know Operation Sparkle's Defender, is not going to be hangin' in any Halls of Fames though.

The joys of being autistic, with depression I suppose.

Hey! Lemme introduce myself.

. . . . .

Now that's done lemme say that I'm also autistic, diagnosed at a young age might I add. I'm not here to help you with advise in that aspect, but I will say that being autistic has made me who I am. Different. I've always been proud, and have often even sought after, being off from the crowd. It makes life interesting, and makes me o-so-very memorable to people I meet!

As for building a suit of armor? Don't care what those other people build! I came here with building mine (as a first build by the way) with a pocket knife, hot glue, and cheap generic acrylic paints. All within a small college dorm might I add!

Before I started building my suit, I spent about a month researching what I should do, and how I should do it. With me and my personality, I wanted to know everything I could beforehand to keep problems or unknown variables to a minimum. Keeps stress low and whatnot.

Sure, your first build likely won't look as good as professional production quality. But you know what will get you to that stage? NOTES!! While I was building my whole thing, I started noticing what I could improve on with my armor. During the whole thing, I wrote down what I could improve on, and kept on doing what I was doing. That way after I was finished with my build I knew exactly what I could improve on. I added those notes into my forum to show everyone here what I intended to do, and proceed to post photos of the finished task on the list.

Another tip I have is tune on a show while you work! For just about my entire build I played Mythbusters on shuffle. I've seen each of the episodes (All 16 seasons) probably 3 times over now, so it's the perfect thing put on as a background noise.

Your first build will never be your best build. But if you enjoy doing this, and don't care what other people think about your build, keep on trucking! As long as you take notes on how to improve, and you honor the changes you set to make, the only way to go is up. That way before you know it you'll be the best dang snazzy-lookin' person at the convention getting all those sweet-sweet photos.

Keep the progress here flowing! We're all here, happy and willing, to help!

Edit: Might I also add.... The Pepakura program is a godsend!

Last edited:
Wow......this has truly been a pep-rally thread......sprinkled in w/ a horrific thought of a flying Sean Anwalt.....Go Team FoxofShadows193!!!! So Fox, getting depressed is a normal happenstance when building. It happens to everyone. Sometimes you need to take a step back, take a break, and return w/ fresh eyes and purpose. Recharge the emotional batteries as it were. Think of this not as a marathon, rather than a sprint. Take your time.

Wow......this has truly been a pep-rally thread......sprinkled in w/ a horrific thought of a flying Sean Anwalt.....Go Team FoxofShadows193!!!! So Fox, getting depressed is a normal happenstance when building. It happens to everyone. Sometimes you need to take a step back, take a break, and return w/ fresh eyes and purpose. Recharge the emotional batteries as it were. Think of this not as a marathon, rather than a sprint. Take your time.
I think he meant more general depression, but yeah I agree with this as well.

If this thread isn't a symbol of the community rallying to help each other be the best we can, then I don't know what is.

I think he meant more general depression, but yeah I agree with this as well.

If this thread isn't a symbol of the community rallying to help each other be the best we can, then I don't know what is.
I think we're just short a Guided Schankerz Launcher Strike of positive outlook to make this a full on feel good thread.

The Rules of Cosplay
  1. Have fun with it
  2. Don't be a jerk
  3. Never compare your costume to others
  4. Have fun with it
  5. Seriously, don't be a jerk

For the peices on the top that are supposed to curve to make a round shape, are you beveling(cutting at an angle)? or are you cutting straight down and using the tape to forge it into shape. That is the reason those gaps are there if this is the case. Looking good though! When is this tape coming off XD

For the peices on the top that are supposed to curve to make a round shape, are you beveling(cutting at an angle)? or are you cutting straight down and using the tape to forge it into shape. That is the reason those gaps are there if this is the case. Looking good though! When is this tape coming off XD
Do you have a specific technique for beveling? I've hard a difficult time finding a good way to get the angle/depth consistent, and keep the edges from looking choppy.

Do you have a specific technique for beveling? I've hard a difficult time finding a good way to get the angle/depth consistent, and keep the edges from looking choppy.
I use two methods depending on if I'm in time crunch or not.

If crunched for time, a stupid sharp knife and a practiced, steady hand.
If time is no worry, scroll saw or band saw with an adjustable bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back